The wheels on the trike go pling pling pling.

Old September 8th 05, 03:24 PM
Jeff Wills

Default The wheels on the trike go pling pling pling.

wrote:
Hi all,

got a question here. I have a trice classic. I have noticed that when
I turn the front wheels make a pling pling sort of a sound.

The faster I go and the harder I turn the louder the plinging. I am
guessing it's something to do with loading and unloading the spokes.

Does this happen with anyone else? is it something I should be getting
worried about?

Everso

This happens when there is insufficient tension on the spokes- as you
surmised, it's the sound of the spokes moving as they are loaded &
unloaded.

*Immediately* take your trike to a qualified mechanic and have the
spokes tightened and the wheels trued. They may be salvagable yet.
However, spoke breakage is caused by fatigue in the spokes- the looser
the spokes, the more they move, and the quicker they'll break.

After the wheels are trued and tensioned, you may break some spokes. If
this starts happening, you'll need to have all the spokes replaced.
There's no way to stop them from breaking once the fatigue process has
started.

Jeff

Old September 9th 05, 01:25 AM
Sunset Fanatic

Jeff Wills wrote:
*Immediately* take your trike to a qualified mechanic and have the
spokes tightened and the wheels trued. They may be salvagable yet.
However, spoke breakage is caused by fatigue in the spokes- the looser
the spokes, the more they move, and the quicker they'll break.

After the wheels are trued and tensioned, you may break some spokes. If
this starts happening, you'll need to have all the spokes replaced.
There's no way to stop them from breaking once the fatigue process has
started.

Jeff,

If I recall correctly, Jobst Brandt reported cases (in the 1960's, I
think) of his wheels breaking spokes. Said wheels had the broken spokes
replaced, were re-tensioned, trued and stress relieved. Mr. Brandt
reported that further spoke breakage did not occur on the subject
wheels.

As always, your kilometerage may vary,
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley