Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift

Old August 25th 10, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift

Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift
SHIFTEZY PushButton Gear Shift

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tchlink:top:en

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

Andre Jute
The rest is magic hidden in the hub.
For rare hub gear bikes, visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

Old August 25th 10, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....30458078660&fr....

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

I reckon so, with a full wave bridge, filter caps and a linear reg or
switch mode supply. But then you've probably eaten the 160gms weight
saving and created a less reliable system than the cables you had.

I wonder how much their battery weighs? More than 160gms?

"ShiftEzy", is that like "Beetle Lax"? Does it make your Ringo?

Have fun with that.

JS.
Old August 25th 10, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Andre Jute wrote:

Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift
SHIFTEZY PushButton Gear Shift

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....30458078660&fr...

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

Chalo
Old August 25th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:

Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift
SHIFTEZY PushButton Gear Shift

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....30458078660&fr...

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

Chalo

You'd be surpised how much friction there is in the cables etc. To get
an idea put a 8mm wrench over the shifthexagon on the hub (easy with the
EX) and compare

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl
Old August 25th 10, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

m-gineering wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

You'd be surpised how much friction there is in the cables etc. To get
an idea put a 8mm wrench over the shifthexagon on the hub (easy with the
EX) and compare

I've redone my cables a few times, settling on full housing and a
liberal amount of free play as the best way to minimize cable drag.

My Speedhub is clearly harder to shift than my wife's, which I also
set up with full housing. This is the case whether I check at the hub
or at the shifter.

Chalo
Old August 25th 10, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Chalo wrote:
m-gineering wrote:
Chalo wrote:
Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

You'd be surpised how much friction there is in the cables etc. To get
an idea put a 8mm wrench over the shifthexagon on the hub (easy with the
EX) and compare

I've redone my cables a few times, settling on full housing and a
liberal amount of free play as the best way to minimize cable drag.

My Speedhub is clearly harder to shift than my wife's, which I also
set up with full housing. This is the case whether I check at the hub
or at the shifter.

Chalo

as from #18200 the detent springs were modified. Is yours an early one?

Old August 25th 10, 09:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Using the SHIFTEZY with a hub dynamo, was Rohloff SpeedhubElectronic Gear Shift

Andre Jute wrote:
Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift
SHIFTEZY PushButton Gear Shift

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....30458078660&fr...

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

I wrote away asking for technical particulars and I've now heard from
Edwin Sochen of Edsan Automation Systems, makers of the SHIFTEZY
PushButton Rohloff Speedhub Gear Shift:

***

"It's quite a coincidence that you mention a dynamo. It so happens
that we are working on a dynamo regulator/inverter/charger for our
system which should be available within the next few weeks. We are
trialling our unit with a Schmitt SON delux but any dynamo with a 6v
AC output will do. As you probably know, there is a unit out of
Germany (e-Werk) but it is a bit expensive.

"The ShiftEzy system uses a 12v Lithium-Ion 1800mAh battery. With no
gear change, the system draws 16.5 mA. On a gear change about 708 mA
(0.2 sec).

"Strictly speaking, I suppose our system would work without the
battery but obviously you won't be able to change gears whilst at
standstill unless you have a huge capacitor in the system."

***

Now we're getting into the real world of Rohloff users!

By the way, it has just occurred to me that the big attraction of the
SHIFTEZY for many will be the ability to use drop handles with your
Rohloff gearbox... And for many of them the SHIFTEZY in the battery
version already on offer will be fine, because they are used to
charging commuting lights.

***
Getting back to using the SHIFTEZY with a hub dynamo rather than the
supplied wallwart charger.

I like the big capacitor better than a battery, simply because the cap
will be smaller if not necessarily lighter, and caps are always less
trouble than batteries.

Anyone who wants to use a hub dynamo with a SHIFTEZY and doesn't want
to wait until Edsan has their regulator/inverter/charger ready could
buy a SHIFTEZY now, buy BUMM's E-Werk, and be ready to go. The E-Werk
is likely to be more versatile than the dedicated but (promised to be)
cheaper versions for the SHIFTEZY.

Andre Jute
The rest is magic hidden in the hub.
For rare hub gear bikes, visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...20CYCLING.html

PS I have no connection Edsan Automation Systems; I'm just a gearhead.
Old August 25th 10, 10:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 25, 8:02*am, Chalo wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Rohloff Speedhub Electronic Gear Shift
SHIFTEZY PushButton Gear Shift

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....30458078660&fr....

What do you reckon, can I drive the gubbins off a dynamo, like the
Cyber Nexus full-auto gearshift on my Trek?

Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

Chalo

According to Edwin Sochen of Edsan Automation Systems, maker of the
SHIFTEZY PushButton Rohloff Speedhub Gear Shift:

"The ShiftEzy system uses a 12v Lithium-Ion 1800mAh battery. With no
gear change, the system draws 16.5 mA. On a gear change about 708 mA
(0.2 sec)."

I agree with Marten, turning the gearbox with a spanner on the 8mm nut
on the EX box is subjectively easier than turning it with the rotary
grip, though mine are getting much closer now that the rotary change
has softened up (probably just worn in or progressively better
adjusted).

Andre Jute
"The brain of an engineer is a delicate instrument which must be
protected against the unevenness of the ground." -- Wifredo-Pelayo
Ricart Medina
"Musta been before the discovery of Big Apples." -- Andre Jute
Old August 25th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Chalo:
Any system that can develop the torque it takes to shift my Rohloff
hub would be a pretty substantial piece of equipment.

Some hubs shift easier than others. Something about their using
a weaker spring after a certain date.

I've got an older hub that's *really* hard to shift and a newer
one where the shifting is almost effortless.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 25th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

m-gineering wrote:

Chalo wrote:

My Speedhub is clearly harder to shift than my wife's, which I also
set up with full housing. *This is the case whether I check at the hub
or at the shifter.

as from #18200 the detent springs were modified. Is yours an early one?

Mine is serial number 5xxx, but my wife's is serial number 6xxx. They
differ in the effort it takes to shift, though.

Chalo

Rohloff Speedhub Chachi Techniques 14 November 7th 05 12:11 AM
Rohloff 14 gear speedhub Dan Techniques 40 September 5th 05 12:54 AM
Rohloff 14 gear speedhub Dan Off Road 1 August 26th 05 08:01 PM
Rohloff 14 gear speedhub Dan General 0 August 25th 05 04:49 PM
WTD: Rohloff Speedhub Simon Connell UK 4 May 21st 04 05:52 AM