I finally got my Rhoades Car fixed so I can tell you guys how it rides

Old June 28th 03, 05:13 PM
Russell Kanning

Default I finally got my Rhoades Car fixed so I can tell you guys how it rides

I recently bought a used Rhoades Car which needed a few repairs like a
new wheel. I want to use my bike for errands/commuting and social
riding, so I have been looking at large trikes and quads like the ones
Lightfoot Cycle offers. I want to be able to carry plenty of cargo so
I am giving up the speed that most of you guys enjoy. As you all know
these cycles can be very expensive, so I jumped at a used quad that
was lingering in a Phoenix garage. Since many people want to know what
a quad rides like I will give you a sample of my experience.
First I employ the almost eternal 'bent grin I can't help it.
Kids on scooters/bikes/trikes stop and stare and say 'cool bike' and
beg for rides (my quad has 2 seats). The little kids can't reach the
pedals so sometimes they stand on the back bumper and hold on to the
seats for balance. I have already had 5 passengers on my bike so far.
It can hold 1000 lbs so that is my only limit. They keep thinking of
new ways to ride the bike. A girl yesterday sat on the front bumper
and tried to pedal with me backwards! It didn't work well The older
kids say 'tight ride' and it is all around good fun. When I drive my
bike to the basketball court, I can't keep the kids off the bike while
I play I have to warn them about the long messy chain and have to
put all the shifters back in position before I back up or try to pedal
away.
The bike is seriously slow, but I am getting a little faster and
need to keep tweeking the bike. Mine fits 2 people and we each have
seperate freewheels and gears so the passenger can help me as much as
they want and at their own cadence. They have 2 sets of 6 gears so it
has a pretty good range. I need stump pulling gears when I am stopped
uphill and loaded. My quad is not the most efficient one out there
probably. I really like Lightfoot's models, but they were even more
expensive. All you trike guys know how nice it is not having to
balance your bike or take your feet off the pedals and going downhill
is fun! I only wish I had suspension. Speed bumps are cruel since I
can't avoid them like my old bike.
For some reason most Rhoades Car owners seem to 'selling' the
cycle not just explaining, so I hope I can be helpful. I know I had a
lot of unanswered questions before I picked up my bike. Lots of people
want to know where to get one of these, but I know they are just
curious. They would not actually buy one, so why should I try to get a
commission off of them, this is all just fun. Some kids say they will
ask their parents for a 4 wheeled bike next time. I don't have the
heart to tell them that a trike or quad is $1500-$4000 or more. I also
am using all the commuter tricks to make my quad look nasty and unfit
to steal. It is big and 120lbs, but I left all the flaws from the last
owner (dog chewed armrests etc.) and even replaced the banana'ed wheel
with a mag so it doesn't look expensive. But the kids love it and I
don't have to baby the thing worrying about the paint and such. The
novelty of the bike will wear off in the neighborhood, but I know I
smile at 'bent riders still, so the fun will continue.
Russell
Old June 29th 03, 06:36 AM
Russell Kanning

"Barry Davidson" wrote in message
I've been riding Lightfoot trikes for 5 years and enjoy driving them for
loaded touring and fitness as well as supporting my car-free lifestyle.

They sure do look very useful. I am thinking about getting a
'pedalcab' from them if I move near a tourist center.

My dog helps pull my trikes in town and it will be the same with the quad.

The neighborhood kids do like to push my car down the road, but they
don't have the endurance or the loyalty of a dog to get me places
without pedaling I would have to supply treats every block.
Russell