Bike shorts.

Old September 10th 05, 03:40 AM
abbabibble

Default Bike shorts.

Who wears bike shorts when riding their uni? Do they seem to make a
difference at all?

just wondering, for i don't know if i wanna spend $50+ bucks on a pair
of bike shorts that don't do much...

also, what um... how do I ask this...type of "underdrawers" do you wear
while uniing, and JUST the type, if any in particular... i nor anyone
else here wants to know the patterns on your boxers... and by type i
mean Boxer, brief, or boxer-brief.

--
abbabibble - uhh...

Cheers,
Mat.
-----------------------
"1% of the people on the planet can ride a uni. The other 99% can only
wonder why we would do it."

-someone on this forum, and onewheeljoe. (unknown person, please PM me
if you said this, so you can get credit for this great quote.)

--Uh, yes i ride this everywhere. Why don't I have a car? Because i
spend all my money on unicycles...
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Old September 10th 05, 04:02 AM
john_childs

I always wear the tight stretchy cycling shorts when I ride except for
when I just pull out the uni for a quick goof around ride.

Yes they make a difference. They hold things in place so I don't have
to worry about sitting on the bits I don't want to sit on. They help
prevent chafing that you can get from leg openings in the tighty
whities. For long rides they are very important.

The shorts need to fit snug. One problem is that people get the shorts
too big so they are too loose. The shorts are worn next to the skin (no
underwear). For the padded shorts you can put 'Chamois BUTT'r'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=388) on the pad to
further reduce chafing or skin irritation.

There are lots of different styles of padded shorts. Different brands
have different shapes for the pad. As you spend more you get a
different material in the pad. You'll have to experiment and find what
fits you and suits you best. You can also try unpadded shorts that are
the same tight stretchy style. The unpadded shorts are often used by
triathletes and runners.

I often wear loose out shorts over the cycling shorts. You just want to
find outer shorts that won't bunch up when you sit on the seat.

If you have a Supergo or Performance Bike nearby you can get an
inexpensive pair of cycling shorts to try before going with a $50+ pair.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old September 10th 05, 04:18 AM
burjzyntski

"commando"

--
burjzyntski - thejoeb

It's no good being Polish unless you prove it once a day.

"Every silver lining has a touch of gray."
burjzyntski's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10188

Old September 10th 05, 04:29 AM
abbabibble

cool, and thank you. that's prolly why my inner thighs get chafed... my
shorts ARE kinda big...(my regular ones...) cool. so i'll try to find
some bike shorts then...

thanks again.

--
abbabibble - uhh...

Cheers,
Mat.
-----------------------

Old September 10th 05, 06:52 AM
maxisbackintown

Id say if you are gonna do some distance uni the bike shorts would be
very good... but I do street and jean or shors work just perfect with my
shin guards

--
maxisbackintown - timmmyyy

yeah
maxisbackintown's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9909

Old September 10th 05, 07:12 AM
abbabibble

it's not that i do so much "long distance" riding, its just that i ride
A LOT. I practice at least an hour and a half every day, rain, snow,
sleet, or shine.

--
abbabibble - uhh...

Cheers,
Mat.
-----------------------

Old September 10th 05, 07:37 AM
Nimrod

"commando"

free - the only way to be

--
Nimrod - lesson 2 - river + Unicycle=Bad mix

Mmm... Muni

Nimrod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10434

Old September 10th 05, 11:55 AM
GILD

get 'bib shorts'
(http://www.bicyclinghub.com/bicyclin...xbibshprc.html)
they're totally worth the extra couple of bucks
the 'bib' bit makes sure they -never- sag

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a 'fugitive' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Daves-Tattoos)
from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old September 10th 05, 04:37 PM
Whim

1) if you don't like the looks of bike shorts, they make ones that have
a pair of cargo pants attached on top.

2) as for bibs, my dad rides (B*ke) and wears bib shorts because they
dont hurt when wearing them for a while because the wast doesnt have to
be super strechy

--
Whim - Whim

Who ever knew?
Whim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10736

Old September 10th 05, 06:05 PM
BraveSirStupid

i like 'em. Comfy and breathable, bikee shorts dont' get all soggy when
you sweat. no wet sweat spots. Their strechiness is nice, as it keeps
the leg opening from pulling backwards against one's leg when mounting
or pedal stroke when mounting or riding. No chafing possible. I'm
particularly fond of my spongbob bikeshorts. Biek shorts can be had for
about $20 bucks or so if you're not interested in the super fancy pearl
izumi ichi rinchibans or something with a n*ke swoosh.

max

--
BraveSirStupid - i'm a moron so you don't have to be

Freedom! Horrible Horrible Freedom!!!
BraveSirStupid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7738

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America General 0 April 11th 05 04:15 PM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 April 11th 05 04:13 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM