I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

Old December 31st 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default I'm ashamed to admit I was conned.

On Dec 31, 2:13*pm, "Archimedes Plutonium"
wrote:
Archemedis prefers the use of Sidi Denominator 5.

Archemedis Plutonium

Pascal had a preference for the Sidi Numerator
Old January 1st 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/31/2010 1:48 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
[...]
It's not as if competitive cyclists come from a different pool than we
other humans ( Karol Wotylja may be a special case).

Il Papa was a competitive cyclist?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 1st 11, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:28:07 -0800, Chalo wrote:

landotter wrote:

I like Looks as well--easy to get into, and a very planted feel--but
not really practical for anything outside of race day, unless you want
to fool with (ugh) cleat covers.

Maybe someone could make some big ol' clodhoppers with a Look cleat
surrounded by a wide margin of rubber lugs. Sort of like a logger boot
with the middle of the forefoot carved away for the goofy Look cleat.

It's been done:

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/boots.html

That would be racy, yet practical. Wait... I guess "racy" really means
_impractical_, doesn't it? I mean, that's all that so-called race
equipment really has in common, right?

Chalo

Old January 1st 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Dec 30, 11:17*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
I wish I could discover the real joy of riding, but I think I would
have to move to San Diego to do it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWu6BTm74nM&NR=1

There are MANY places where winter flooding is not an issue. However
in some of those places the winter precipitation is measured in feet
and the (packed or frozen) riding surface IS an issue.
DR

Old January 1st 11, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Dec 31, 8:21*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:17*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

I wish I could discover the real joy of riding, but I think I would
have to move to San Diego to do it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWu6BTm74nM&NR=1

There are MANY places where winter flooding is not an issue. However
in some of those places the winter precipitation is measured in feet
and the (packed or frozen) riding surface IS an issue.
DR

I was riding today in the West Hills, and I was fretting about the
areas of sheet ice from rain run-off and some local springs, but the
road was mostly clear -- it was in the 20s F, and there was snow on
the shoulder in some places, but nothing like the Midwest. I don't
know how people ride below 0, or even below 20 degrees and in real
snow and ice (with narrowed roads) for months on end. -- Jay Beattie.
Old January 1st 11, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

DirtRoadie wrote:

There are MANY places where winter flooding is not an issue. However
in some of those places the winter precipitation is measured in feet
and the (packed or frozen) riding surface IS an issue.

Woe betide the miserable souls who inhabit such places.

Chalo

Old January 1st 11, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

[...]

Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
Il Papa was a competitive cyclist?

Yes, as a young man in Poland.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 1st 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 1, 12:03*am, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Dec 31, 8:21*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:

On Dec 30, 11:17*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

I wish I could discover the real joy of riding, but I think I would
have to move to San Diego to do it.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWu6BTm74nM&NR=1

There are MANY places where winter flooding is not an issue. However
in some of those places the winter precipitation is measured in feet
and the (packed or frozen) riding surface IS an issue.
DR

I was riding today in the West Hills, and I was fretting about the
areas of sheet ice from rain run-off and some local springs, but the
road was mostly clear -- it was in the 20s F, and there was snow on
the shoulder in some places, but nothing like the Midwest. I don't
know how people ride below 0, or even below 20 degrees and in real
snow and ice (with narrowed roads) for months on end. -- *Jay Beattie.

I know one former Austinite who has lived in Alaska for several years,
and one returned Austinite who spent 6 months in Oulu, Finland.
When I lived in the GFN, I rode at temps down into the teens, about
17deg F was my limit, because I insisted on using cycling shoes and my
technology was limited. These guys would call those balmy afternoons
"the first signs of Spring" g. It's all a matter of gear:

http://www.susitna100.com/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=40

OTOH, there have been a few expats who have migrated to San Diego over
the years...
--D-y
Old January 1st 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 1/1/2011 12:30 PM, aka Tom Paterson wrote:
On Jan 1, 12:03 am, Jay wrote:
On Dec 31, 8:21 pm, wrote:

On Dec 30, 11:17 am, Jay wrote:

[...]

One can always wear more clothes for the cold. The converse is not true.

come on -- admit it bar Racing 0 August 19th 09 03:11 AM
Ashamed to ride a bike? Join Bike Pride Parade! ComandanteBanana Techniques 15 August 2nd 09 11:51 PM
I'm so ashamed PhilD UK 15 December 21st 06 05:16 PM
Bradley Wiggins: Sick of feeling ashamed because I'm a professional cyclist Jason Spaceman Racing 3 September 26th 06 10:12 PM
I admit it ... Steven L. Sheffield Racing 4 September 5th 04 06:45 PM