Pitiful TV coverage of the USA "PRO" Cycling Challenge

Old August 25th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

Default Pitiful TV coverage of the USA "PRO" Cycling Challenge

I kept waiting for Phil to exclaim "I can't work under these
conditions!!!" and leave.

Which would serve this race organization right.
Not only "technical difficulties" (actually, "near-total inability")
to broadcast footage of the racing, but inept motorcycle drivers who
didn't follow the action.

If this had been the TdF, we could have seen the descent from
Independence Pass into Aspen. I rode that one "several" times during
the early 70's; I haven't seen it in recent years but I understand the
road is not vastly improved IRT width, guardrails, etc. Especially for
a large group, that's a fairly technical descent, and it was raining
(BTDT on that road, too, since it rains often in the afternoon-early
evening).

There were some gaps opened up, certainly.

Maybe we'll get to see some replay today? Since the replay during the
show seemed to work, maybe they should have just shown the whole stage
on replay?

"Ice on the wings"? Didn't they run even one test on the TV equipment
before the race started? Or at least fix it overnight, after Day 1 was
totally screwed?

What an embarrassment to my country. For shame!
--D-y
Old August 25th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On Aug 25, 9:24*am, --D-y wrote:
[...]

Much better today. Technically anyhow. I'm wondering how well they
will be able to cover multiple riders by moto-cam when they get to the
contenders.

DR
Old August 26th 11, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"--D-y" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe, but it looks to be quite an impressive race & venue. Impressive
crowds in many places, especially Independence Pass and the last 4k or
so of the TT course today. I hope this race continues. The timing is
interesting, since it's after the Giro & TdF and during the Vuelta... so
even when you get the top guys (who aren't riding the Vuelta) they'll be
a bit on the downside from their TdF efforts and not highly-motivated.
On the other hand, the guys who didn't do as well as they'd have liked
at the TdF have something to prove.

It's become a more interesting race than I expected.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old August 26th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On Aug 25, 1:46*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
On Aug 25, 9:24*am, --D-y wrote:

[...]

Actually pretty well done although someone should tell the the camera
operators that they could back off a bit or move more to the side so
we could see an entire rider and all the nuances of his pedaling
rather than just a full frame closeup of a back and ass.
DR
Old August 26th 11, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

My impression from the coverage is that there are more attention-
seeking freaks on the mountain passes in US races than in Europe.
Total freak show.

Old August 26th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour[_2_]

On Aug 26, 10:22*am, Brad Anders wrote:

My impression from the coverage is that there are more attention-
seeking freaks on the mountain passes in US races than in Europe.
Total freak show.

Or more TV producers pandering to the masses. Freaks sell.

Old August 26th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Aug 25, 11:11*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"--D-y" wrote in message

[...]

I saw the Zinger/Coors a couple of times including the day Johnathan/
Jaques Boy-er/Boy-A got his laps back. Funny about how getting good
racers together makes for good racing g.

Yes, I want this one to continue (FWIW) and that's why I'm squawking.

I noted Levi's "I was cold and shivering" yesterday. Very much a big
part of the game and one trip down toward Aspen from Independence I
got caught out when I knew better and survived a popped-open original
Dura Ace front caliper plus "shivering" with little drops of ice
appearing on my leg hairs ("why racers *really* shave") on what
started out as a hot summer day. And that, a short ride that turned
back well before the top when the storm rolled in-- which is a near-
daily occurrence at times on that hill.

I hope they get serious (the TV transmission problems did not get
fixed overnight) and make this race happen on a yearly basis. Fix the
TV uploads, first, and the second first, get some moto drivers who
know WTF is up. Seriously...
--D-y
Old August 26th 11, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Aug 26, 9:22*am, Brad Anders wrote:
My impression from the coverage is that there are more attention-
seeking freaks on the mountain passes in US races than in Europe.
Total freak show.

No barricades in finish line run-up, and intoxicated idiots-- altitude
doesn't help anything there!

Another place the moto riders were sorely lacking in performance.
They're probably mostly a group of volunteers. Maybe next year we'll
see a true corps at work.
--D-y
Old August 26th 11, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

On 8/26/2011 12:57 PM, --D-y wrote:

I saw the Zinger/Coors a couple of times including the day Johnathan/
Jaques Boy-er/Boy-A got his laps back. Funny about how getting good
racers together makes for good racingg.

Hoo Boy - this was a while ago but my aging memory banks are telling me
it was the Estes park Crit ? I have a great picture of Jock winning
that race coming across the finish line in his "hairnet" helmet, with it
unfastened lol He rode for GS Mengoni that year.

Bill

--

William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com
Old August 26th 11, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

On Aug 26, 1:12*pm, "William R. Mattil"
wrote:
On 8/26/2011 12:57 PM, --D-y wrote:

I saw the Zinger/Coors a couple of times including the day Johnathan/
Jaques Boy-er/Boy-A got his laps back. Funny about how getting good
racers together makes for good racingg.

Hoo Boy - this was a while ago but my aging memory banks are telling me
it was the Estes park Crit ? *I have a great picture of Jock winning
that race coming across the finish line in his "hairnet" helmet, with it
unfastened lol He rode for GS Mengoni that year.

North Boulder Park, I believe. 1980. The riders in the break made
Boyer do all the work, from what I saw, while Londono and others were
roughed up in the "chase".
Michel Pollentier single-handedly blocked the "chase" pack for many
laps on that short course.

Yes, the helmet was unfastened and the race announcer threatened Boyer
with some kind of sanction-- I guess they didn't dare repeat the 5-
minute Centerline Violation biz-ness from '79?

Whatever, there is tradition both on the positive and negative sides
of the coin, so to speak. I hope they "go pro" and make this thing
work, although I think the races in Columbia might actually go higher
in altitude g.
--D-y