Cheung, not Chung, but still all about power

Old July 6th 11, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Cheung, not Chung, but still all about power

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9472

A bunch of high-level pro riders (national/world class) let
Nimmerichter et al. 2011 see their power data for a year. This was an
observational study. Stephen Cheung reports the news to Pez readers.

-Pros do more slow rides than you. 73% of training time spent in zone
1-2, or in other words, these nutters spend a ton of time riding slow
and easy. Huh.

-hours of training were 500-880 for the year. The good news? The low
end of that is nearly a sensible fatty-master training regimen, if you
are annoying enough to get shooed out of the house three times a week.
The bad news? "Number of training sessions (268 +/- 60) and total
training time (689 +/- 191 h) were strongly correlated with the
subject’s overall classification."

-Chung bait (mentions cadence): "FTP was most strongly correlated with
total training time spent doing “strength” workouts, which consisted
of low cadence (40-60 rpm) high gear efforts for 2-20 min."

I guess I'm the only one surprised that low and slow is still the core
of elite-level training. I don't think my commute to work is done in
Zone 1, so I may be doing something wrong. This study implies there
are elites who spend about 3 minutes/WEEK in their max-HR training
zone. Even broken up into 20-second intervals, that's not much. I
think I managed nearly that much redline time in last night's race,
and I only lasted 2 laps*.

*I am aware this may be why I only lasted 2 laps.
Old July 6th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_4_]

Dumbass,

1. Don't bait me until I get my new laptop re-configured.

2. Who does that Cheung guy sleep with to keep his job? I'm presuming
that's the explanation cuz it ain't the depth of his insights.

3. Guys who're averaging 15 hours/week of training? They can't do all
of it at high intensity. The more hours/week, the lower the proportion
of high intensity. In your case, this is irrelevant. You need to be
spending more time at high intensity. You also need to be spending
more time at low intensity. Thinking about it, you also need to lose
some weight, change your shirt, and sit up straight.
Old July 6th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
thirty-six

On Jul 6, 9:06*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9472

A bunch of high-level pro riders (national/world class) let
Nimmerichter et al. 2011 see their power data for a year. This was an
observational study. Stephen Cheung reports the news to Pez readers.

-Pros do more slow rides than you. 73% of training time spent in zone
1-2, or in other words, these nutters spend a ton of time riding slow
and easy. Huh.

Recovery from 2-3 days racing per week. Most strength training is
accomplished in racing. A little speed work, enough to accomplish
fluidity with power and no more than possibly two minutes strength
training is possibly all a rider requires between racing.

-hours of training were 500-880 for the year. The good news? The low

But what is the toal load of riding including racing?

end of that is nearly a sensible fatty-master training regimen, if you
are annoying enough to get shooed out of the house three times a week.
The bad news? "Number of training sessions (268 +/- 60) and total
training time (689 +/- 191 h) were strongly correlated with the
subject’s overall classification."

Sound like very few are likly to overtrain.

-Chung bait (mentions cadence): "FTP was most strongly correlated with
total training time spent doing “strength” workouts, which consisted
of low cadence (40-60 rpm) high gear efforts for 2-20 min."

I guess I'm the only one surprised that low and slow is still the core
of elite-level training. I don't think my commute to work is done in
Zone 1, so I may be doing something wrong.

Unless your commute takes 3 hours then it's unlikely it will benefit
at that level, unless you are assessing a change in position or saddle
(tip: don't change saddles mid season). If you can do it in two
minutes then it's eyeballs out all the way. Something in between
requires something in between, but 99% of your stuff shouldn't hurt
unless you have time to recover, as in pre-season, before racing.

This study implies there
are elites who spend about 3 minutes/WEEK in their max-HR training
zone. Even broken up into 20-second intervals, that's not much. I
think I managed nearly that much redline time in last night's race,
and I only lasted 2 laps*.

*I am aware this may be why I only lasted 2 laps.

Try an oxygen mask. If your time to 'exhaustion' does not improve you
know it has nothing to do with aerobic capacity. It therefore becomes
obvious that training based upon supposed aerobic benefits is futile.
Training to be wiser with energy expenditure is easier than changing
genetics. Of course you probably need a better brand of coffee.

Old July 7th 11, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,
Robert Chung wrote:

Dumbass,

1. Don't bait me until I get my new laptop re-configured.

2. Who does that Cheung guy sleep with to keep his job? I'm presuming
that's the explanation cuz it ain't the depth of his insights.

3. Guys who're averaging 15 hours/week of training? They can't do all
of it at high intensity. The more hours/week, the lower the proportion
of high intensity. In your case, this is irrelevant. You need to be
spending more time at high intensity. You also need to be spending
more time at low intensity. Thinking about it, you also need to lose
some weight, change your shirt, and sit up straight.

Where do you put your effort and attention during
low intensity training? Riding a pace line? Pedaling
technique? (please don't laugh) Holding an aerodynamic
position?

--
Old Fritz
Old July 7th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour[_2_]

On Jul 6, 7:57*pm, Frederick the Great wrote:
In article
,
*Robert Chung wrote:

Dumbass,

1. Don't bait me until I get my new laptop re-configured.

2. Who does that Cheung guy sleep with to keep his job? I'm presuming
that's the explanation cuz it ain't the depth of his insights.

3. Guys who're averaging 15 hours/week of training? They can't do all
of it at high intensity. The more hours/week, the lower the proportion
of high intensity. In your case, this is irrelevant. You need to be
spending more time at high intensity. You also need to be spending
more time at low intensity. Thinking about it, you also need to lose
some weight, change your shirt, and sit up straight.

Where do you put your effort and attention during
low intensity training? Riding a pace line? Pedaling
technique? (please don't laugh) Holding an aerodynamic
position?

{cue lilting bamboo flute}
If the mind is happy, grasshopper, is not the body strong?

Old July 7th 11, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
thirty-six

*Robert Chung wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter how strong you are if you are too ****ed to get the
power down on the road.
Old July 7th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Rik Van Slick

*Robert Chung wrote:

[...]

Right on.

Numbers don't win races. Racers win races. Wake up you fuggin clams.
Old July 7th 11, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
A. Dumas[_2_]

Frederick the Great wrote:
Where do you put your effort and attention during
low intensity training?

Enjoying the countryside, taking some snaps.
Old July 7th 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour[_2_]

On Jul 7, 6:12*am, "A. Dumas" wrote:
Frederick the Great wrote:

Where do you put your effort and attention during
low intensity training?

Enjoying the countryside, taking some naps.

Post corrected.

Old July 7th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Jul 6, 10:06*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9472

A bunch of high-level pro riders (national/world class) let
Nimmerichter et al. 2011 see their power data for a year.

Isn't the grouping term for racing cyclists "peloton" as in: "Cowering
peloton of unshaven cyclists howling at the roubaisian Moon."

-ilan

Mr Chung Davey Crockett[_5_] Racing 0 June 23rd 09 07:10 AM
Hey Chung Kurgan Gringioni Racing 60 March 12th 07 05:11 AM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Racing 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Marketplace 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Australia 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM