A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -

Old December 1st 04, 05:03 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:42:03 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:

How does a helmet be a factor in causing a crash?

By giving the rider a false sense of security - risk compensation.

That theory is a lot of crap when it comes to folks like me,. You can never
be too careful. I want all the protection I can get and I will continue to
be super careful.

Yet you do not wear one in a car, nor supprt laws for such. That
would qualify as "super" careful. What an inconsistant goof you
are!!!
Old December 1st 04, 05:04 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...

There is friend of mine who is exactly like him.

You're lying. You, and people like you have no friends because you
try and control them.
Old December 1st 04, 05:06 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
"McTavish" wrote in message
You're wasting your time, Guy. Ed doesn't believe in statistics, science
or
the Tooth Fairy.

Sigh! All top posters are idiots!

Guy Chapman is never going to convince me that not wearing a helmet is just
as safe as wearing helmet. All the science, statistics and tooth fairies in
the world are not going to change what I think on this issue.

There is one hell of a lot of bad science in the world today and statistics
has always been very suspect.

Yet in other posts you claim the opposite. That is why you support
helmet laws, and are against freedom of choice. LOSER!!!
Old December 1st 04, 05:06 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...

Knowledge is a most peculiar thing.

How would you know? You have none?
Old December 1st 04, 05:09 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...
No, I am law abiding and I do not purposely break the law. If you are jay
walking you have a criminal mentality and the sooner a car hits you and
takes you out of this world the better. You are setting a bad example for
the young people.

No you are by supporting the lack of respect for freedom of choice.

It is a liberal hallmark to call others liars with whom you disagree. They
all must learn to do this in a secret school somewhere in lotusland.

No, just liars like you, Edward.

What I learned in my secret school is to call all liberals jackasses. And so
there you are. Who are you going to believe, a liar or a jackass?

INteresting. Most consider me a conservative. Whatever I am labled,
I stand against you.
Old December 1st 04, 05:11 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

This guy, DiscoDuck, probably thinks Michael Moore is a major intellect of
our time, intead of the fat treasonous pig with no brian that he is....

Brian was crucified.

Always look on the bright side of life!

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

Old December 1st 04, 05:11 AM
DiscoDuck

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message ...

Where the hell do you get off deciding what law you are going to observe
and
what law you are not going to observe. You say you wore a helmet when
motorcycling. Thank God someone was looking out for you. Left to your
own
stupidity you would most likely have gotten yourself killed. Or do you
think
you know more than the experts who spend their lives studying traffic
safety
issues and politicians who spend their lives writing laws to protect us
from
ourselves. There are none so stupid as those who think they know better
than
the experts.

This still hasn't lost it's humour on me. LOL!!!! Rollingon the
floor and LAUGHING MY ASS off AT YOU, Edward!!!!!!!
Old December 1st 04, 05:13 AM
Edward Dolan

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:07:47 -0600 "Edward Dolan"
used 38 lines of text to write in newsgroup:
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

[...]
I am OK (I think), but I can't spend too much time pondering the problems
of
the world. If I do I will go stark raving mad. Sometimes I think the best
thing any of us could do is severely limit ourselves to how much TV we are
going to watch. ARBR actually uplifts me and makes me feel good, but the
damn TV news sends me into a deep depression. I am convinced of one thing.
There is no solution to any problem.There never was and there never will
be.
If and when you solve one problem, there will be another even greater
problem to takes it's place. Screw it! I just go out to the municipal
liquor
store and get a bit of the old vino and all of a sudden the world starts
look a bit better.

You sound depressed. Maybe it's the holiday season affecting your
mood. Alcohol is a depressant drug, and is not a good solution for
overcoming the "blues". I gather you are retired? Why not do some
volunteer work down at the animal shelter or deliver meals-on-wheels?
Getting out of the house and helping others will make you feel better.
Hell, go to the local retirement home and chat up some old-timers -
they would love to hear your rather unique perspective. ;-))

If I am off-base, I apologize. I also apologize for cross posting my
last reply to the "kook" group. I was going to have some fun with
you, but I realize now that was not appropriate.

-Graham

No, it's OK. I only drink enough to feel good. I am not depressed. However,
it is my literary style to effect depression. I have always admired writers
who were extremely depressed and I have always hated writers who were full
of life and enthusiasm. It is nothing but a preference and has no deeper
meanings.

There once was a Finn on PBS who went on and on about how he was going to
kill himself. I just about died of laughter. He was always saying about how
he was going to go out to the shed and hang himself as that was the best
thing he could think of doing. That Finn and myself are kindred spirits. I
just HATE optimism. It makes me physically sick. Whereas pessimism cheers me
up no end. The more depressed I get, the happier I get. Any degree of
optimism will positively kill me.

I am not an activist. I never have been and I never will be. I just think
and think and think - and that is my life. To actually get up and do
something would be a major trauma for me. I am constantly telling my few
friends that they do more in one day than I do in a year. But they do not
think about things like I do. They are activists and are into doing. I am
only into thinking - never doing. Perish the thought!

I don't know about posting to other groups. I do not do it. All I ever see
is what is posted to ARBR. If other groups are also being included and I
want to respond I will eliminate the other groups and just post to ARBR. I
kind of know the characters here on ARBR and they keep me fully occupied.

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 05:52 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
No, I am law abiding and I do not purposely break the law. If you are jay
walking you have a criminal mentality and the sooner a car hits you and
takes you out of this world the better. You are setting a bad example for
the young people.

No you are by supporting the lack of respect for freedom of choice.

There is no freedom of choice when it comes to the law. Either observe the
laws or consider yourself a criminal.

It is a liberal hallmark to call others liars with whom you disagree.
They
all must learn to do this in a secret school somewhere in lotusland.

No, just liars like you, Edward.

I do not call others liars for no reason. Actually it is too much effort to
tell lies. Then you have to remember them. Screw that! I am too lazy to
remember lies. So I just tell the truth. That way I can always remember what
I have said.

What I learned in my secret school is to call all liberals jackasses. And
so
there you are. Who are you going to believe, a liar or a jackass?

INteresting. Most consider me a conservative. Whatever I am labled,
I stand against you.

Did you vote for Bush?

I don't think you know what you stand for. You are confused and muddled. But
I often have that effect on people. You need to step back and reflect. Then
you will began to see the light.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Illuminator - Minnesota

[...]