A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -

Old December 1st 04, 05:57 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:42:03 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
wrote:

How does a helmet be a factor in causing a crash?

By giving the rider a false sense of security - risk compensation.

That theory is a lot of crap when it comes to folks like me,. You can
never
be too careful. I want all the protection I can get and I will continue
be super careful.

Yet you do not wear one in a car, nor supprt laws for such. That
would qualify as "super" careful. What an inconsistant goof you
are!!!

Cars and bicycles are completely different requiring different standards of
safety.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 06:05 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

There is friend of mine who is exactly like him.

You're lying. You, and people like you have no friends because you
try and control them.

Folks, this is what is known as stalking. Which is worse, trolling or
stalking? I submit stalking is much worse because it is just so pitiful. It
indicates nothing if not bankruptcy. Very shortly I will be dealing with
this stalker the same way I dealt with Slugger previously. DiscoDuck won't
like it, but unless he posts some content in his messages I will have no
other recourse than to slam him with nothing but name calling.

Old December 1st 04, 06:07 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
"McTavish" wrote in message
You're wasting your time, Guy. Ed doesn't believe in statistics,
science
or
the Tooth Fairy.

Sigh! All top posters are idiots!

Guy Chapman is never going to convince me that not wearing a helmet is
just
as safe as wearing helmet. All the science, statistics and tooth fairies
in
the world are not going to change what I think on this issue.

There is one hell of a lot of bad science in the world today and
statistics
has always been very suspect.

Yet in other posts you claim the opposite. That is why you support
helmet laws, and are against freedom of choice. LOSER!!!

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 06:08 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Knowledge is a most peculiar thing.

How would you know? You have none?

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 06:09 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

Ed Dolan - Old But Not Yet Dead - Minnesota

Who think he is alive thanks to government intervention of laws. What a
joke.

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 06:10 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
Regards,

Ed Dolan - the impotent - Minnesota

No wonder he is a control freak. He can't get it up and takes it out
on those who value freedom of choice.
Ed, you're a rapist of freedoms

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 07:40 AM
DiscoDuck

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

The only cyclists around here who are not wearing helmets are only the
most
casual cyclists - and the kids of course. All serious cyclists wear
helmets.

Wrong again. I bet you I would find plenty of "serious cyclists" who
do not wear a helmet.

Actually, I am the ONLY serious cyclist in these parts, so I am 100% correct
and you are 100% wrong. But hasn't that always been the case.

Two words: crack pot
Old December 1st 04, 08:12 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message

The only cyclists around here who are not wearing helmets are only the
most
casual cyclists - and the kids of course. All serious cyclists wear
helmets.

Wrong again. I bet you I would find plenty of "serious cyclists" who
do not wear a helmet.

Actually, I am the ONLY serious cyclist in these parts, so I am 100%
correct
and you are 100% wrong. But hasn't that always been the case.

Two words: crack pot

One word: asshole

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 1st 04, 09:57 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:45:18 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

Absolutely nobody is immune from risk compensation, because risk is
entirely subjective.

I was once hiking in the Rocky Mountains when I was a young man. It was
early spring and there was still a fair amount of snow on the mountain
sides. Many others were sliding down the snow banks on their rumps inviting
me to do the same. I declined because I could see the risk involved. I was a
very smart person even when I was quite young. I have always been able to
see the risk involved and I have always declined.

Like I said, absolutely nobody is immune from risk compensation,
because risk is entirely subjective. Different people have different
acceptable levels of risk, just look at the Spaite study which shows
that the helmeted and unhelmeted cyclist communities have entirely
different accident (as opposed to injury) profiles. Your personal
acceptable risk threshold may be lower than other people's, but risk
compensation is not about your perceived risk versus other peoples.

On the off-chance that anybody reading is interested I recommend
"Target Risk" by Wilde and "Risk" by Adams. The latter is a personal
favourite of mine.

Those writers were most likely fools of the first magnitude.

Of course, that's what it takes to completely change international
thinking on a topic: to be a fool of the first magnitude. Oh, wait...

You can never be too careful.

Hence you travel only by aeroplane or train, right?

I NEVER travel by airplane. I don't much like the damn trains either.

Mad! Completely mad! Statistically those are *the* safest ways to
travel!

The problem that Guy Chapman has is that he has been bamboozled by studies
which his mind is not capable of putting in their proper perspective.

Quite the opposite. Unlike the Liddites I have not been bamboozled by
the studies into losing my sense of perspective.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old December 1st 04, 10:18 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:52:10 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

Why is it every time I write the words "French" or "France"
that I want to kill someone.

I have no idea, but I think you have a convenient person to hand: I
suggest you try killing yourself and see if the feeling goes away.