A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -

Old December 2nd 04, 04:16 AM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
Regards,

Ed Dolan - the impotent - Minnesota

No wonder he is a control freak. He can't get it up and takes it out
on those who value freedom of choice.
Ed, you're a rapist of freedoms

**** you too DiscoDuck!

Hit a nerve Edward? You would **** me if you could, I am sure. but
you can't because of your erectile difficulties.

**** you too DiscoDuck!

--
****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 2nd 04, 05:23 AM
Mark Leuck

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
Regards,

Ed Dolan - the impotent - Minnesota

No wonder he is a control freak. He can't get it up and takes it out
on those who value freedom of choice.
Ed, you're a rapist of freedoms

**** you too DiscoDuck!

Hit a nerve Edward? You would **** me if you could, I am sure. but
you can't because of your erectile difficulties.

Must have, it appears he's stuck in an endless loop

Someone reboot Ed... on second thought don't

Old December 2nd 04, 06:02 AM

Edward Dolan wrote:

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
How many helmet studies have you actually read, Ed?

None, nor do I plan to. Why reinvent the wheel? Bike helmets are
necessary
for the same reason that motorcycle helmets are necessary and for the
same
reason that race car drivers also wear helmets. It protects the old
noggin
in the event of an accident.

Then you oviously advocate helmets for motorists, right?

Motorists have a heavy metal shield surrounding them whereas cyclists,
motorcyclists and race car drivers don't. Next question!

Which race car drivers don't have those monkey bars around them
in their race cars? You know the ones that you don't see in the
normal motorist's car?

--

-TTFN

-Steven

Old December 2nd 04, 11:44 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:44:32 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

Mad! Completely mad! Statistically those are *the* safest ways to
travel!

There is something extremely scary about being 30,000 feet up in the sky. If
you don't think so, then you are even crazier than I am.

Look at the figures, Ed. The figures don't lie - air travel is
*extremely* safe, especially if you avoid banana republic airlines.

Unlike the Liddites I have not been bamboozled by
the studies into losing my sense of perspective.

A good post by Guy Chapman. He has definitely scored a few points here. He
has convinced me that I perceive risk where others don't and that it is not
100% rational on my part. But I have never yet broken any bones in my body
and I have never yet had any serious accidents in my life, either on the
bike or off the bike - so I guess I will continue on my mad way.

Mirabile dictu :-)

I have only ever broken one bone, and that was when I dropped a fire
door on my foot while fitting it :-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old December 2nd 04, 11:52 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:54:09 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

I do not have one drop of French blood in me (Thank God!).

How do you know? There were a lot of Huguenots in America in the
early days and a lot of French soldiers, too (remember - they were the
ones who saved your asses in the war of independence?)

Old December 2nd 04, 11:54 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:45:36 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

You do not know how to edit.

But I do, hence:

I [..] do not [..] think.

So true :-)

Old December 2nd 04, 03:36 PM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
How many helmet studies have you actually read, Ed?

None, nor do I plan to. Why reinvent the wheel? Bike helmets are
necessary
for the same reason that motorcycle helmets are necessary and for the
same
reason that race car drivers also wear helmets. It protects the old
noggin
in the event of an accident.

Then you oviously advocate helmets for motorists, right?

Motorists have a heavy metal shield surrounding them whereas cyclists,
motorcyclists and race car drivers don't. Next question!

Which race car drivers don't have those monkey bars around them
in their race cars? You know the ones that you don't see in the
normal motorist's car?

Which race car drivers do not wear helmets? Next question!

Old December 2nd 04, 03:58 PM
Edward Dolan

wrote in message :

I do not have one drop of French blood in me (Thank God!).

How do you know? There were a lot of Huguenots in America in the
early days and a lot of French soldiers, too (remember - they were the
ones who saved your asses in the war of independence?)

My ancestry in this country only goes back about three or four generations.
Prior to that my ancestors were most likely just bog farmers in the old Sod
(Ireland). Of course, it may be that I have some Viking blood in me because
they were marauding and pillaging and raping like the savages they were
though out Ireland (and most of the rest of Europe) way back then.

The French have always been very prickly allies, even at the time of the
American Revolution. And I have not forgotten whose side they were on all
during the French and Indian Wars which preceded the American Revolution. My
feeling about the French is that if you have friends like them, you do not
need any enemies. I do not believe there is any people on earth who have
hated the French more than the English. Are you English?

I liked what Bush said about the Americans and the Canadians. He said we are
friends whether we like it or not. That is equally true of Americans and the
British - we are friends whether we like it or not. That is not true of the
French. It never has been and it most likely never will be.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:06 PM
Edward Dolan

"DiscoDuck" wrote in message
om...
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
Regards,

Ed Dolan - the impotent - Minnesota

No wonder he is a control freak. He can't get it up and takes it out
on those who value freedom of choice.
Ed, you're a rapist of freedoms

**** you too DiscoDuck!

Hit a nerve Edward? You would **** me if you could, I am sure. but
you can't because of your erectile difficulties.

Must have, it appears he's stuck in an endless loop

Someone reboot Ed... on second thought don't

The endless loop is DiscoDuck. If and when he posts content, I will respond
accordingly, but I will not waste my time and this group's time on a
mindless juvenile stalker. Stalkers need to be told where to go without
mincing any words. That is what I am doing and that is all I am doing.

Old December 2nd 04, 04:55 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 09:58:55 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote in message :

I do not have one drop of French blood in me (Thank God!).

How do you know? There were a lot of Huguenots in America in the
early days and a lot of French soldiers, too (remember - they were the
ones who saved your asses in the war of independence?)

My ancestry in this country only goes back about three or four generations.
Prior to that my ancestors were most likely just bog farmers in the old Sod
(Ireland).

And you naively believe that Oireland is as free of the taint of
French blood as were the locals with whom your immigrant forebears
intermarried?

I do not believe there is any people on earth who have
hated the French more than the English. Are you English?

Am I English. Good question. By birth, yes. My ancestry is roughly
1/4 Irish, the balance a good old-fashioned British mix of
West-country and others, with ancestry traceable back to those jolly
old Huguenots. One of my ancestors, John André, is commemorated by a
statue in New York State.

As to the English hating the French, well, we have hated a lot of
people down the years - the Spanish, for instance, now the UK's
favourite vacation hosts. And a lot of them are now best buddies.
Look at all the energy expended on hating Communist China, before the
days of Most Favoured Nation status.

The world has become both smaller and vastly more complex since
Agincourt. A battle which I believe proves the old adage that
"history is always written by the winners."