Shimano 950 BB spacers

Old September 9th 04, 03:59 PM
Bruce Edge

Default Shimano 950 BB spacers

Disclaimer: I looked at the shimano docs already, so no RTFM comments :-)

Can you put both BB spacers on the on the same side?

I need more drive side chainstay clearance with my XTR cranks, the 950
BB has spacers that you can put between the cups and the frame.
With one on each side I'm still too close to the chainstay.

It's OK if I put both spacers on the drive side though. Well the
clearance is OK. Is this a no-no?

-Bruce
Old September 9th 04, 05:10 PM
S o r n i

Bruce Edge wrote:
Disclaimer: I looked at the shimano docs already, so no RTFM comments
:-)

Can you put both BB spacers on the on the same side?

I need more drive side chainstay clearance with my XTR cranks, the 950
BB has spacers that you can put between the cups and the frame.
With one on each side I'm still too close to the chainstay.

It's OK if I put both spacers on the drive side though. Well the
clearance is OK. Is this a no-no?

RTFM! (You made me do it.)

Don't see why you couldn't do it. As long as you still get plenty of
"thread purchase" on the DS and the NDS crank has clearance and the
driveline is acceptable, you should be golden.

Bill "too lazy (and cheap) to buy a new middle ring for my XTR crankset
(might need a little one, too)" S.

Old September 9th 04, 05:25 PM
bruce edge

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:10:17 +0000, S o r n i wrote:

Bruce Edge wrote:
Disclaimer: I looked at the shimano docs already, so no RTFM comments
:-)

Can you put both BB spacers on the on the same side?

I need more drive side chainstay clearance with my XTR cranks, the 950
BB has spacers that you can put between the cups and the frame.
With one on each side I'm still too close to the chainstay.

It's OK if I put both spacers on the drive side though. Well the
clearance is OK. Is this a no-no?

RTFM! (You made me do it.)

Don't see why you couldn't do it. As long as you still get plenty of
"thread purchase" on the DS and the NDS crank has clearance and the
driveline is acceptable, you should be golden.

Bill "too lazy (and cheap) to buy a new middle ring for my XTR crankset
(might need a little one, too)" S.

Cool, I already did it this morning before work, but didn't ride it yet.
I'll check it out tonight. I was worried that it would make the bike feel
lopsided, but maybe it's not enough of difference that you can tell.

-Bruce
Old September 9th 04, 05:43 PM
S o r n i

Bruce Edge wrote:
[...]

Carry a rock in your left jersey pocket. ;-)

Bill "problem solver (but only others')" S.

Old September 10th 04, 05:50 AM
Slacker

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:43:55 GMT, S o r n i =

Bruce Edge wrote:
[...]

Or amputate your right nut.

-- =

Slacker - killing 2 birds with 1 stone
Old September 10th 04, 07:02 PM
S o r n i

Bruce Edge wrote:
Slacker wrote:

Or amputate your right nut.

Well there's a tough choice. Hmmm, lemme think about it.

Just for the record though, you don't even notice it.
Maybe because left nut's bigger :-)

Jeez, why does every friggin post degenerate into this. I got sucked
in again.

{Opening mouth to comment}

Nah, too easy.

Bill "degeneration primer" S.