Unicycle math problem appears in school textbook

Old February 1st 05, 03:24 AM
yoopers

Default Unicycle math problem appears in school textbook

This is an actual page from Brad's sixth grade math book. We were
extremely surprised when he turned the page while doing his homework.

Bruce

| Attachment filename: math problem.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273535|

yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards

Of professional wrestling, Sarah Miller says, "The competition element
is all part of the "plot"..."Its pantomime in lycra."
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old February 1st 05, 03:38 AM
Bob22b

Nice

Man, I wouldn't mind doing that homework for an assignment. That would
be recess!

--
Bob22b - MCL Tearer :d
Bob22b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8153

Old February 1st 05, 03:41 AM
Fuego

nice. They should have a more repersentative image, though, like "John
needs to hop 15 1/2" to clear an obstical. how much does john need to
improve his hop height if he currently can hop only 10 inches? If he can
improve his hop height at a rate of one half-inch per week, how long
will it take him to be able to clear the obstacle?

--
Fuego - Unicycle Ninja

"Unicycling is more about the center of concentration than the center of
balance."

If you don't want us riding on your concrete, don't make it in such damn
interesting shapes!
Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

Old February 1st 05, 03:50 AM
harper

Bruce-

The guys seat is too low. He's going to kill his knees. It's up to you
to warn him.

--
harper - Riding a Fat

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"People who quote themselves are lame." - David Lowell

"I think I just broke my leg." - Greg Harper, 10/9/2004

Old February 1st 05, 03:54 AM
yoopers

harper wrote:
*Bruce-

The guys seat is too low. He's going to kill his knees. It's up to you
to warn him. *

You know what they say about great minds...

The low seat is the first thing Mary mentioned as well.

Old February 1st 05, 04:19 AM
UniBrier

They need to update that old text to the Coker era:

9. Unicycles. Members of a unicycle club are taking a two hour trip. The
trip is a total of 16 ¼ miles. If they travel 6 ½ miles before having to
take a break because they’re getting numb, how fast will they have
travel on the second leg to complete the ride on time?

(This is actually a trick question as Cokiers never finish a ride “on
time”)

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve

Do your feet smell? Does you nose run?...You may be built upside down.
-Old joke I found in a Mad Magazine many moons ago.

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old February 1st 05, 04:59 AM
john_childs

Here's a version of the photo that's easier to read. I just ran it
through a sharpen filter and lowered the saturation.

| Attachment filename: math problem 2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/273573|

john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

Old February 1st 05, 07:12 AM
Bob22b

harper wrote:
*Bruce-

The guys seat is too low. He's going to kill his knees. It's up to you
to warn him. *

Whoop, sounds like my knees are going to die of the shear forces I'm
tapping at em' with my low seat height on the trials uni.

That right?

Old February 1st 05, 01:48 PM
yoopers

john_childs wrote:
*Here's a version of the photo that's easier to read. I just ran it
through a sharpen filter and lowered the saturation. *

Wow! Thanks, John. For some reason, our scanner doesn't work with our
new computer so I had to take a digital picture of the book. Your
remixed photo looks great. How did you do it? What software did you
use? I might be interested in such awesome, raw power.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old February 1st 05, 02:02 PM
GILD

those adjustments are standard in the 'Microsoft Office Picture
Manager'
i have no doubt that John used some far more select than that, but those
functions are generally available in most Image Viewing packages
knowing what to do with them is a completely different story

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser and Time-bider

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
alice 'roosevelt' (http://tinyurl.com/5ngze) longworth
I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- William H.
Mauldin

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://tinyurl.com/ywxgb)