A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Basso Loto Rebuiild

Old December 8th 19, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Basso Loto Rebuiild

The label maker in Britain finally made the last year Loto decals and I received them and installed them. Yesterday during the rain I clear coated the frame but ran out of Clear before doing the fork. I have a new can but if you wait too long you have to go for two days before shooting again.

It is looking so great I can hardly believe it. I expect that the bike will look factory fresh when I'm done. Since the base coat is powder coat I don't have to worry about scratching the frame. The biggest worry would be not getting the clear coat good enough and getting a decal to raise.

The group is Campy Record with FSA Gossamer crank. I weighed this crank and the Super Light carbon fiber one and the weight was so close that it was ridiculous to spend almost 3 times as much for cranks.

I have a new pair of 55 mm Tubeless wheels that will go on it. While Hanbini can go on about aerodynamics since that is his specialty he admits that if you simply drop your head you make up for any drag in the entire bike except for the wheels.

My testing of tires has shown that Vittoria tires are MUCH faster and more directionally stable than others and with very low rolling resistance. But they wear poorly.

Continental GP5000TL's are a little tricky - the traction on them is so good that every bit of the road causes them to wander around so you really have to get used to them. But they wear really well.

Hambini recommends 23 mm tires on the front but I can see that his roads are a lot better than here and he is a small and light guy. I ride 25's both ends as the only thing that you can stand on the roads here and 28's actually feel a lot better.

The roads here are now so bad that where I used to descend at 40 mph I can barely hold 30. And that is tricky with all of the patches threatening to throw you off course or new potholes threatening to break a wheel or spoke. This is what we're paying an additional 12 cents per gallon of gas to get - better roads.....
Ads
Old December 9th 19, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster

A trifling gas tax like that will have a very hard time keeping up the roads, when it's being pumped into gas-burning horror machines that keep getting heavier all the time.
Old December 9th 19, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 12:17:02 AM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
A trifling gas tax like that will have a very hard time keeping up the roads, when it's being pumped into gas-burning horror machines that keep getting heavier all the time.

The yearly tax intake of California on gasoline taxes is over 1.5 Trillion dollars. JUST California.

Cars are not getting heavier, they weigh pretty much the same as they did 50 years ago. The newest cars are reducing weight as they go from metal to plastic and carbon fiber body parts. Electric cars have to reduce their weights dramatically in order to carry the heavy batteries and the armor plating to protect those batteries and have sufficient range.
Old December 9th 19, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/9/2019 11:54 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

The yearly tax intake of California on gasoline taxes is over 1.5 Trillion dollars. JUST California.

Cars are not getting heavier, they weigh pretty much the same as they did 50 years ago. The newest cars are reducing weight as they go from metal to plastic and carbon fiber body parts. Electric cars have to reduce their weights dramatically in order to carry the heavy batteries and the armor plating to protect those batteries and have sufficient range.

Uh, that cannot possibly be correct.

The entire sum of all economic activity in California is
roughly $2.7 trillion.

That's a very large amount of money but gas tax was not 55%
of California GDP.

I suspect a decimal has wandered or something like that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 10th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster

On Mon, 09 Dec 2019 15:19:13 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

roughly $2.7 trillion.

of California GDP.

According to:
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/f...enue-data.html
Total tax revenue in 2012 for the state of California was
$112,372,263,000

According to: https://tinyurl.com/srfgzqk
The total state gas tax revenue in California in 2012 was
$5,717,010,000

In 2014 it was $6,063,356,000

--
cheers,

John B.

Old December 10th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 1:19:21 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:

roughly $2.7 trillion.

of California GDP.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't know where I got that figure. I must have screwed up a decimal place.

58.7 cents a gallon tax x 50 to 70 million gallons a day is $410,900 a day on the high end which it most certainly is. 365.25 x that is $150,081,225. In California I can't remember when I've ever gone more than 25 miles between gas stations on the most forlorn roads. When I did an overnighter a couple of years ago, we wove our way across the Salinas Valley on nothing but farm roads. Every time we came to a major intersection there was at least one gas station there and often four. And these farm roads for the most part were too narrow for a truck to pass a bike in the opposite direction except at wide spots. Luckily it was in between planting and harvesting.

Now part of our state and property tax also goes to build and repair roads but nothing appears to be getting done. What's more, Google Maps is now routing commute traffic off onto these small backroads and these are being torn to shreds. Roads clearly marked "No Trucks" have 20 ton box vans on them. On several occasions I've seen doubles on these roads and you can see on the 180 degree bends that the asphalt on hot days was pushed into lumps by heavy trucks it actually looks like the asphalt ran like wet clay.
Old December 10th 19, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 6:02:26 PM UTC-8, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 09 Dec 2019 15:19:13 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

roughly $2.7 trillion.

of California GDP.

According to:
https://www.governing.com/gov-data/f...enue-data.html
Total tax revenue in 2012 for the state of California was
$112,372,263,000

According to: https://tinyurl.com/srfgzqk
The total state gas tax revenue in California in 2012 was
$5,717,010,000

In 2014 it was $6,063,356,000

--
cheers,

John B.

Well, I suppose I got that figure from a site like that.
Old December 11th 19, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo
external usenet poster

Tom Kunich wrote:

Roads clearly marked "No Trucks" have 20 ton box vans on them.
On several occasions I've seen doubles on these roads and you can
see on the 180 degree bends that the asphalt on hot days was pushed
into lumps by heavy trucks it actually looks like the asphalt ran
like wet clay.

Yes, commercial trucks and buses do damage to public roads greater than their contribution to the costs of those roads. That's a lot like car drivers-- who create administrative, enforcement, safety, public health, city planning, and social problems that are orders of magnitude more expensive to deal with than any direct revenues from cars or fuel can offset.

So count yourself among the causes of these problems, and stop complaining about others doing things that you are also doing.
Old December 11th 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 10, 2019 at 3:13:13 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:

Roads clearly marked "No Trucks" have 20 ton box vans on them.
On several occasions I've seen doubles on these roads and you can
see on the 180 degree bends that the asphalt on hot days was pushed
into lumps by heavy trucks it actually looks like the asphalt ran
like wet clay.

Yes, commercial trucks and buses do damage to public roads greater than their contribution to the costs of those roads. That's a lot like car drivers-- who create administrative, enforcement, safety, public health, city planning, and social problems that are orders of magnitude more expensive to deal with than any direct revenues from cars or fuel can offset.

So count yourself among the causes of these problems, and stop complaining about others doing things that you are also doing.

I don't drive on these sorts of roads, I ride my bikes there. Freeways are specifically designed to carry the loads and high speeds of cars. Residential areas are supposed to be for autos only but they now invariably end up with heavy trucks on them ignoring the NO TRUCKS signs.
Old December 20th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 8, 2019 at 7:09:03 AM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
The label maker in Britain finally made the last year Loto decals and I received them and installed them. Yesterday during the rain I clear coated the frame but ran out of Clear before doing the fork. I have a new can but if you wait too long you have to go for two days before shooting again.

It is looking so great I can hardly believe it. I expect that the bike will look factory fresh when I'm done. Since the base coat is powder coat I don't have to worry about scratching the frame. The biggest worry would be not getting the clear coat good enough and getting a decal to raise.

The group is Campy Record with FSA Gossamer crank. I weighed this crank and the Super Light carbon fiber one and the weight was so close that it was ridiculous to spend almost 3 times as much for cranks.

I have a new pair of 55 mm Tubeless wheels that will go on it. While Hanbini can go on about aerodynamics since that is his specialty he admits that if you simply drop your head you make up for any drag in the entire bike except for the wheels.

My testing of tires has shown that Vittoria tires are MUCH faster and more directionally stable than others and with very low rolling resistance. But they wear poorly.

Continental GP5000TL's are a little tricky - the traction on them is so good that every bit of the road causes them to wander around so you really have to get used to them. But they wear really well.

Hambini recommends 23 mm tires on the front but I can see that his roads are a lot better than here and he is a small and light guy. I ride 25's both ends as the only thing that you can stand on the roads here and 28's actually feel a lot better.

The roads here are now so bad that where I used to descend at 40 mph I can barely hold 30. And that is tricky with all of the patches threatening to throw you off course or new potholes threatening to break a wheel or spoke.. This is what we're paying an additional 12 cents per gallon of gas to get - better roads.....

I got the decals and put them on. They really look great. I painted them over with clear but the weather is so cold the clear ran a bit here and there and after the weather warms up I'll have to repair that.

I put the bike into the shop so that he could use the shop tools to press in the headset and clean the Italian threads out with the tool that keels both sides perfectly parallel. He said that he would clean out all of the metric threads while he was at it.

So of course he got a ton of high paying jobs in before he could do it so I'm waiting in line. He did give me some tubeless tire large hole seals and a couple of pump seals so I can't argue.