Q: regarding straight pull hubs

Old December 9th 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SconnieRoadie

Default Q: regarding straight pull hubs

Hi All,

Interesting to note, I have been away for a number of years and the posters I see today are the same as back then! The more things change...

Interested in building a pair of rim brake Powertap Enve wheels into a disc brake wheelset but not sure if the original evenly spaced rim is appropriate for a hub designed for straight pull spokes (different spoke crossing layout/drilling, perhaps?).

I want to use this powertap hub: https://powermetercity.com/product/p...rear-disc-hub/

TIA

Sconnie

Old December 9th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:20:40 AM UTC-8, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi All,

Interesting to note, I have been away for a number of years and the posters I see today are the same as back then! The more things change...

Interested in building a pair of rim brake Powertap Enve wheels into a disc brake wheelset but not sure if the original evenly spaced rim is appropriate for a hub designed for straight pull spokes (different spoke crossing layout/drilling, perhaps?).

I want to use this powertap hub: https://powermetercity.com/product/p...rear-disc-hub/

TIA

Sconnie

Straight pull hubs and standard rim drillings are common. The Easton Vault hub is an example. https://tinyurl.com/scshrsa I don't think the Powertap would be any different. Some builders mix up the lacing so it's non-mirror image to resist disc braking forces, but I don't. I build discs the same way as I build any other wheel. I don't see any reason why you can't use your existing Enve rim -- assuming the correct number of spoke holes for the rim.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 9th 19, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:53:46 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

In general I would hesitate to have straight pull spokes on a disk brake bike. All of he angles are wrong.
Old December 9th 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

I built that hub onto a DT 470 rim, 28 spoke, 3 cross for my gravel
bike. The DT rim has evenly-spaced holes. The wheel is strong and has
held up well for the first 500 miles over lots of rough gravel. I'm 170
lbs.

Ealier I built my first straight-pull wheel, PowerTap's GS hub onto
evenly-spaced rims. It held up for ~10,000 miles before the Velocity
A23 rim started cracking; I've rebuilt on another DT rim and all fine so
far. I suspect the rim construction OR just too few spokes (24 on that
wheel) for my weight.

***NOTE***: PowerTap's online info page for calculating spoke length
runs long.
https://prod.quarq.com/wp-content/up...-Hub-Chart.pdf
It spec'd 302.9mm spokes, I chose 304 rather than 302 (CX-ray), I
couldn't find 303's. The nipples threaded all the way onto the spokes
and ran out of threads while the wheel was still quite slack (with the
spoke ends sticking beyond the nipples several mm). I re-ordered 300mm
spokes and the wheel built up quite well, spokes at the bottom of the
nipple slot on the drive side.

PowerTap was no help; their tech support said "It seems like your
calculations were all done correctly" but there couldn't be anything
wrong with their page or someone would have complained earlier. I see
the page is unchanged today. I expect my concern was discarded and
that's what they would still say if you had a similar problem today.

FWIW, I like the product, I have a PowerTap hub on my road bike as well,
but their customer service sure left something to be desired.

Mark J.

Old December 9th 19, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/9/2019 10:20 AM, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi All,

Interesting to note, I have been away for a number of years and the posters I see today are the same as back then! The more things change...

Interested in building a pair of rim brake Powertap Enve wheels into a disc brake wheelset but not sure if the original evenly spaced rim is appropriate for a hub designed for straight pull spokes (different spoke crossing layout/drilling, perhaps?).

I want to use this powertap hub: https://powermetercity.com/product/p...rear-disc-hub/

TIA

Sconnie

That hub looks to be even-spaced 24 spokes (12 left, 12
right). Although it's called "G3" it doesn't appear to be
like Campagnolo's 9 left 18 right which their trademark
describes as "G3". You might want to confirm that point first.

If you're confident about a 24-spoke wheel then yes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 9th 19, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/9/2019 11:20 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

No, they're not.

Given 24 holes [1] the angle between adjacent spokes is
exactly the same as any other two-cross 24h wheel.

[1]I don't know rider weight or application but 24 is a
smallish spoke count for many riders.

Old December 10th 19, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pH

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:20:40 AM UTC-8, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi All,

Interesting to note, I have been away for a number of years and the posters I see today are the same as back then! The more things change...

There have certainly been some permanent changes....
Jobst Brandt and
Sheldon "Now Posting from Elsewhere" Brown have moved on to heaven.

Mega-miler Ron Wallenfang does not post, but is active on crazyguyonabike.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directory/?user=roboron

Sigh. It would have been fun to see Jobst weigh in on this in his usual non-committal, laissez-faire live and let live style. (Actually, I seem to remotely recall that Jobst had strong opinions from time to time.)

There are many more I can't bring to mind just now, but hope you stick around and post from time to time.

pH in Aptos

snip

TIA

Sconnie

Old December 10th 19, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

pH wrote:

It would have been fun to see Jobst weigh in on this in his usual
non-committal, laissez-faire live and let live style. (Actually,
I seem to remotely recall that Jobst had strong opinions from time
to time.)

Jobst had very strong and usually well-founded opinions. He was intolerant of factual errors but tolerant of differences in taste.
Old December 10th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 12:56:52 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Andrew, you're not speaking of a straight pull wheel I suspect. Front wheels with straight pull spokes and disks pull the spokes at almost 90 degrees from their line of entry into the hub. (and the Campy only have 12 spokes don't they?) I know the older Campy wheels I have, have straight pull spokes and only 18 spokes.
Old December 10th 19, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:07:44 PM UTC-8, Chalo wrote:
pH wrote:

It would have been fun to see Jobst weigh in on this in his usual
non-committal, laissez-faire live and let live style. (Actually,
I seem to remotely recall that Jobst had strong opinions from time
to time.)

Jobst had very strong and usually well-founded opinions. He was intolerant of factual errors but tolerant of differences in taste.

I had rather a different view of him. He always had to be the expert and when he was wrong and you said so he would try to bully you. I think the last time someone was semi-successful at bullying me was in the 5th grade. That would infuriate him.

Sorting long pull and short pull brake levers Gary Young Techniques 12 January 7th 11 07:25 AM
Straight Pull Hubs Jim UK 12 May 7th 08 09:50 AM
WTB: straight pull spokes, 2.0/1.8/2.0 double butted, for MavicClassics Pro wheels Bob De Jonge Marketplace 1 September 27th 07 01:17 PM
Where to buy straight-pull spokes? rocketman Techniques 14 March 21st 07 12:30 AM
Straight Pull Spokes Ground Control Mountain Biking 0 September 10th 04 02:50 AM