Removing crimped hose from Medai pump

Old October 16th 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default Removing crimped hose from Medai pump

Here's one for the old-timers: I have a Medai pump, circa 1975. I'd like to replace the hose. The original hose is crimped onto the bottom of the pump.. First, how do I remove the crimp? Second, what is likely to be beneath it? I am hoping for a nib onto which I can attach a new hose with a hose clamp.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

BC
pumped
Old October 16th 13, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/16/2013 10:11 AM, BCDrums wrote:
Here's one for the old-timers: I have a Medai pump, circa 1975. I'd like to replace the hose. The original hose is crimped onto the bottom of the pump. First, how do I remove the crimp? Second, what is likely to be beneath it? I am hoping for a nib onto which I can attach a new hose with a hose clamp.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

If your replacement hose has a different thread for the pump
base, snip the band with a side cutter and use a stainless
hose clamp.
(some guys report a zip tie is sufficient but I prefer a
hose clamp; under a dollar)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 16th 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 10/16/2013 02:21 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/16/2013 10:11 AM, BCDrums wrote:
Here's one for the old-timers: I have a Medai pump, circa 1975. I'd
like to replace the hose. The original hose is crimped onto the bottom
of the pump. First, how do I remove the crimp? Second, what is likely
to be beneath it? I am hoping for a nib onto which I can attach a new
hose with a hose clamp.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

If your replacement hose has a different thread for the pump base, snip
the band with a side cutter and use a stainless hose clamp.
(some guys report a zip tie is sufficient but I prefer a hose clamp;
under a dollar)

Oetiker clamp looks even neater, if you have the tool for it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 17th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

PITA what's the hose OD ? gotta vernier ? Amuzi has the position here like wahtizzit ?

I have a Wal barrel pump with crimped hose and a priceless locking hose end.

hose cracked. epoxy plus banadae plus hose clamp after a search for unions failed ending in welding then refrigeration supplies for a fittable copper pipe.

small diameters on the ID.

Hwever life goes on....today maybe I'd remove the hose from its crimp leaving crimp intact then WEST 6500 epoxy a McMaster Carr union or fitting into crimp with an order for hose, hose end, and epoxy.

Just finished similar for a Wal/Slime dc auto tire pump sold for cheap with a hose lacking....plasticizers sent over to where ?

works n looks good in its Wal plastic cse with the fold over side pulls. Now in cargo above rear axle.

Old October 17th 13, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:15:06 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
PITA what's the hose OD ? gotta vernier ? Amuzi has the position here like wahtizzit ?

I have a Wal barrel pump with crimped hose and a priceless locking hose end.

hose cracked. epoxy plus banadae plus hose clamp after a search for unions failed ending in welding then refrigeration supplies for a fittable copper pipe.

small diameters on the ID.

Hwever life goes on....today maybe I'd remove the hose from its crimp leaving crimp intact then WEST 6500 epoxy a McMaster Carr union or fitting into crimp with an order for hose, hose end, and epoxy.

Just finished similar for a Wal/Slime dc auto tire pump sold for cheap with a hose lacking....plasticizers sent over to where ?

works n looks good in its Wal plastic cse with the fold over side pulls. Now in cargo above rear axle.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.google.com/search?q=meda...w=1067&bih=600
Old October 17th 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

maybe here

https://www.google.com/search?q=meda...ump&tbm=is ch
Old October 17th 13, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:25:15 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
maybe here

https://www.google.com/search?q=meda...ump&tbm=is ch

Nope, it's a Medai. I found a picture of it he
http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html

These pictures say 1996, mine is twenty years older than that but almost identical in appearance. The one I have is branded as a Raleigh.

BC
Old October 17th 13, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:37:54 PM UTC-4, BCDrums wrote:

Nope, it's a Medai. I found a picture of it he
http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html

These pictures say 1996, mine is twenty years older than that but almost identical in appearance. The one I have is branded as a Raleigh.

Looks absolutely identical to mine, which says Nashbar. I probably got mine in the mid-1990s.

Mine came with a threaded hose end of some kind that screwed into the cast foot of the pump. I'm sure that Andrew is right, that you can cut it loose, then hose clamp a new hose in place.

If you have trouble finding a hose clamp that small, there's a trick I used on a different frame pump, one of the ancient primitive ones with a hose that slides into the handle. Since I found no hose clamp that would allow the hose to slide in for storage, I just used many turns of fine wire to hold the hose onto its fitting. It's worked for a long, long time.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 17th 13, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:28:00 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Looks absolutely identical to mine, which says Nashbar. I probably got mine in the mid-1990s.

Mine came with a threaded hose end of some kind that screwed into the cast foot of the pump. I'm sure that Andrew is right, that you can cut it loose, then hose clamp a new hose in place.

There are a few inches of hose left on the pump. I might look over at Home Despot for a 3/16 hose barb and just splice the new hose onto it. Whatever is the least amount of work!

If you have trouble finding a hose clamp that small, there's a trick I used on a different frame pump, one of the ancient primitive ones with a hose that slides into the handle. Since I found no hose clamp that would allow the hose to slide in for storage, I just used many turns of fine wire to hold the hose onto its fitting. It's worked for a long, long time.

This somehow reminds me of tying and soldering spokes.

BC
Old October 17th 13, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:42:11 AM UTC-4, BCDrums wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:28:00 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

If you have trouble finding a hose clamp that small, there's a trick I used on a different frame pump, one of the ancient primitive ones with a hose that slides into the handle. Since I found no hose clamp that would allow the hose to slide in for storage, I just used many turns of fine wire to hold the hose onto its fitting. It's worked for a long, long time.

This somehow reminds me of tying and soldering spokes.

.... with the difference being that on the hose, it actually accomplishes something!

- Frank Krygowski

minoura floor pump hose cliff Techniques 7 May 18th 08 08:10 PM
track pump hose? Ian Smith UK 3 January 23rd 06 05:51 PM
Floor pump releases 15 psi when removing hose from valve! (normal?) chrisc Techniques 6 August 5th 05 03:54 PM
Best offer: Silca & Medai floor pumps, need rebuild (pick up in NYC area) J. Chup Marketplace 0 September 16th 04 09:56 PM
WTB: Medai pump hose kluke Marketplace 1 October 13th 03 09:57 PM