My experience a with Lezyne pump

Old October 18th 13, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BCDrums

Default My experience a with Lezyne pump

While I am focussed on pumps, I'll recount my Lezyne experience. I know this is a pump that many like.

I bought the $80 high-volume model with an eye toward using mostly for car tires and other shraeder-equipped jobs. This pump is good looking, almost an objet d’art. But after dealing with Lezyne customer service, I returned it.

The air chuck on this pump screws onto the valve, and was once described by Chalo as finicky. The chuck that came with my pump was defective. It took me a while to figure this out; I tried it on a dozen shraeders and none of them would open. Rather than take it back to the store, I called Lezyne and asked to speak with customer service and was told “He’s off today.” It’s one guy?

I reached the sole customer service rep a few days later, and he assured me that he would send another air chuck out. The guy had that young Californian flakey vibe, not reassuring in a CSR. The chuck didn’t arrive after more than a week, so I called again, and it had not shipped. Finally they sent it and it traveled for a week from California.

So I screwed the new chuck onto the hose, and it did indeed work on all the valves I tried. As a high-volume pump with an oversized barrel, I found it difficult to pump. And being accustomed to either flip-lever chucks or Silca push-ons, I found it tedious to screw the chuck on and off. Sometimes the chuck would unscrew from its hose attachment.

I did not disassemble the pump, but the tight-fit precision with which the piston worked made me wonder if it was an o-ring design instead of a more forgiving leather cup. I really have little experience with o-ring pistons, but I know from experience that the leather cups last forever. I wonder if I'd be able to get an o-ring from Lezyne in 30 years.

I have two other floor pumps, 30 and 40 years old. I can still get parts for them. After dealing with Lezyne directly, I didn't feel good about the pump, and took it back. I realize this is mostly gut feeling without much hard evidence, but I trust gut feelings.

BC
Lezy

Old October 19th 13, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

On 10/18/2013 5:03 PM, BCDrums wrote:
While I am focussed on pumps, I'll recount my Lezyne experience. I know this is a pump that many like.
,,,,
... I really have little experience with o-ring pistons, but I know from experience that the leather cups last forever. I wonder if I'd be able to get an o-ring from Lezyne in 30 years.

Yea, because nobody else makes o-rings.

Old October 19th 13, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Yea, because nobody else makes o-rings.

yeah but ona new pump ?

new pump was assembled without lube or cheap lube dried out/covered barrel/formed lips....?

if the new pump doahn work diassemble/clean/lube.

for the screw on try a whawhawhawha tap or small file.

the screw on's entrance thread is sometimes out of whack. file it off.

if the screw on doahn work ( and urnot stoned) walk away then come back and retry. Itsa finger thing. Maybe fingers are unconnected to buhrain.

I kick myself for not buying 6 lever on's from Loose Screws.

pumps suck. go CO2/Slime/new tube.

see: NRS RAFTING AIR PUMP.

Lezyne mini pumps? Ronko Techniques 2 November 2nd 09 01:34 AM
Lezyne Road Drive vs Innovations 2nd Wind Pump C.H. Luu Techniques 1 May 31st 09 04:49 PM
bike hand pump - recommendation/experience/alternative? phil Rides 3 January 14th 08 11:19 PM
Do I really need a floor pump? Will frame pump suffice? [email protected] Techniques 15 June 12th 06 08:44 PM
Zefal Husky pump doesn't pump Timothy J. Lee General 2 January 24th 05 05:25 PM