what's a good cheap pump?

Old September 4th 03, 09:06 AM
tsp

Default what's a good cheap pump?

it doesnt have to be portable at all... a standing home pump would be fine
my tires are rec at 56psi.. so something that can handle 80-90 would be good
built-in gauge would be nice, but NOT necessary

with those requirements, what is the cheapest/best value pump that i can
get?

Old September 4th 03, 01:02 PM
Scott Schelle

Buy a Silca pump.

It's a floor model, will last forever, all parts are available and
replaceable.

$35 from Colorado Cyclist and many other places.

The classic and good to well over 100 psi.

Old September 4th 03, 02:53 PM
Mark Paulus

I have a cheap KMart High Pressure pump that works fine.
However, for my complete inflates I decided to try one of these
"emergency car pumps" that you can get from auto parts stores.
They plug into the car lighter, and are supposed to be good up
to 150+ psi. The one I have will get my tubes up to 80 psi w/not
too much trouble. The only thing about the model I have is that
if you get it hot (10 minutes or so), they recommend a 30 minute
cool down. However, if doing a complete tire/tube change,
the cool down time doesn't seem to be a huge problem.

I think you can get them at auto-parts stores for $20 or so.

--
**** Please remove the NO.SPAM when replying ****

Old September 4th 03, 06:42 PM
John Everett

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 03:06:38 -0500, "tsp" wrote:

it doesnt have to be portable at all... a standing home pump would be fine
my tires are rec at 56psi.. so something that can handle 80-90 would be good
built-in gauge would be nice, but NOT necessary

with those requirements, what is the cheapest/best value pump that i can
get?

If you live near a Performance shop I'd recommend the Performance
Hurricane. If you don't live near one avoid the Hurricane like the
plague. Since my nearest LBS is a Performance shop I find the
Hurricane, currently listed at $14.99, a fine investment. Taking
advantage of Performance's no-questions-asked return policy I'm
enjoying my new Hurricane which I got on exchange about a month ago.
It's my fifth or sixth; I've sort of lost track. They keep breaking;
Performance keeps replacing them. We've been doing this little dance
for about five years now! :-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old September 5th 03, 02:43 AM
Jeff Starr

Matt Locker wrote in message ...
Topeak Joe Blow Sport.

Hi, I have one of these and it works very well. I use it mostly for
road bike tires, both topping off and tube changes. I even managed to
top of my car tires with it, but that is not its forte. I got mine
from Performancebike.com, on sale for around $21. They now have it for
$24.99, list $34.99. I like it, it seems to be a good pump.
Life is Good!
Jeff

Old September 5th 03, 05:01 AM
RWM

"John Everett" wrote in message
news
[...]

Silly me! I thought that I was the only person doing the Hurricane Shuffle.
Somehow it got great reviews five or six years ago in some bike publication.
It seems to brake every nine months.