Cyclocomputer on trainer

Old November 3rd 08, 09:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Cyclocomputer on trainer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTJ9v2vsaE

Surely someone on RBT will estimate the rollout (given the size of the
display) and calculate the actual speeds involved.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 4th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYTJ9v2vsaE

Surely someone on RBT will estimate the rollout (given the size of the
display) and calculate the actual speeds involved.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

You're a horrible person, Carl.

In order to get more precise control of the playback and higher quality
video, I downloaaded the good version, and started counting revolutions.

The odometer in the picture gains 0.01 "km" (eg 10 "m", or what the
movie-maker asserts is actually 1 m, in their notes on the video) every
3-4 revolutions. That would make the circumference of the wheel about 30
cm.

I'm satisfied that given the dimensions of generic hamsters and
cyclocomputers (I couldn't make out the brand name of this one), this is
reasonably close to true.

The one hamster manages a multi-second run at what would thus be about
6.5 km/h (speeds shown between 60 and 68 km/h for a few seconds) that
starts around the 23s mark.

Again, that seems like a plausible speed for a very small rodent moving
very quickly. More impressive was his cadence: the legs are an
unmeasurable blur at top speed.

BTW, the video is even funnier at half speed.

Old November 4th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 05:20:48 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Dear Ryan,

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "wheel ejection," doesn't it?

The nice thing is that the two hamsters hurl themselves into the
spinning trainer voluntarily--they think that it's so much fun that
they crowd into it together.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 4th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Ryan,
Working from your estimates, the rim speed is about 10,000 cm/min (6.5 km/h
* 1,000 = 6,500 m/h * 100 = 650,000 cm/hr /60 = about 10,000 cm/min). If one
hamster leg moves in contact with the wheel for 4 cm (about 1/8 of the wheel
circumference) and if it's clever enough to stride so that each leg moves
its 4 cm in turn, the total "stride length" is 16 cm. 10,000 cm /16 = a
cadence of 625 strides/minute!
Don't know if I could stand it at half speed; have barely stopped laughing
now.
Thanks to you, and to Carl,
Kerry

Old November 5th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 05:20:48 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

I've always wondered what hamsters got out of hamster wheels, but the
behavior is clearly both voluntary and -- judging by the number of
hamster-wheel videos out there -- near-universal.

Old November 5th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

wrote:

[...]

Figuring out their cadence is even funnier! Better than 10
strides/second at peak. Pretty good for a little ball of fur.

Old November 5th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 01:37:42 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 05:20:48 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

The stationary spinning is just training for this event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7BsGBpMD2w

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 5th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
news

[...]

If only the hamster knew he was slowing down in the turns.

CycloComputer Javier Techniques 2 March 12th 06 03:59 PM
Cyclocomputer $13 Mark T Marketplace 0 November 28th 05 02:20 PM
Kinetic trainer by Kurt good trainer? chrisc General 2 September 28th 05 12:29 AM
Cyclocomputer? Peter MacPherson Techniques 4 August 11th 04 03:01 PM