Review: Avanti Blade Comp as a lightweight touring bike.

Old October 1st 06, 11:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

Default Review: Avanti Blade Comp as a lightweight touring bike.

Review: Avanti Blade Comp as a lightweight (mostly made roads, in
Australia) touring bike.

I've just returned from my first long (~400km) tour on my new Avanti
Blade Comp. So it's timely to review it as a touring bike.

There is touring, and there is touring. I wasn't planning on riding
across the Sahara on the bike, but maybe on unmade roads in Australia.
I wanted something reasonably lightweight, that I could fit out with
32mm touring tyres.

I've got it loaded up with racks front and rear. Carrying about 6
litres of water, food for four days and extra clothes in case it rains.
Basic toolkit, but nothing like spare axles or total failure type
stuff.

I rode it around the Victorian western district in a loop from Ararat
counter clockwise to Warrnambool. Start and finish transport by V-Line.
Extra train schedule makes it easy to take bike. But taking more than
two bikes per train will be difficult. In my case, just me, so not a
problem.

It's my first experience with an aluminium frame, and first dedicated
touring bike. Up till now I've been using an adapted racing bike. Sure
the aluminium frame is a bit stiffer, but it only took a week or so to
get used to it, and I don't notice it now. Also my first experience
with flat bars - but I like them now - it identifies me as a slow
rider, so I don't have to chase anyone :-)

My overall impressions? I really like it. In any situation the bike is
very stable, and handles really well. Out of Halls Gap I rode along a
heavily corrugated unmade road for about 20km, and it never missed a
beat. A few encounters with the sand, but it stayed upright really
easily. It handles the weight well.

With a tailwind, on the flat, you can get it up to a high speed - not
possible with the equivalent mountain bike setup.

The frame has plenty of strength, and I didn't notice any flexing to
speak of. But still quite comfortable.

So overall I would really recommend the Avanti Blade. At about $A1200
(with gear), it is about one quarter the price of an equivalent custom
built "expedition" style bike. In the end I decided an expedition style
bike was only justified if I was going to live on it.

Only hassle early on with the bike was that one wheel had the spokes
loose. I took it back straight away, and they tightened them instantly.
No further problems.

I bought the bike from Peninsula Star Cycles in Frankston, and I
recommend both the Avanti and Peninsula Star.