Are Trek Made In USA

Old August 7th 04, 10:26 AM
mfhor

Default Are Trek Made In USA

DRS Wrote:
"Andrew Price" wrote in message

[...]

I can well remember in the early 60's that Japanese goods (cars,
cameras) were slandered as being vastly inferior to their English or
US competitors - and we were told they were cheaper than European or
US products because of "cheap (read shoddy) labour".

It was no slander. Jap then really was crap. They improved their
quality
control over time but pretending their manufactured products were not
inferior in the 60s is to rewrite history.

--

A: Top-posters.

Well, no longer. Western companies demand their cake to eat in and
take away as well. "Lift your game or your competitor down the road
gets the contract" is the mantra western product directors have on
loop-replay when they go into meetings in Asia. Gradually, through a
process of "continuous improvement", Hsin Lung (Cane Creek, Truvativ,
Dice, Raceface, Profile, FSA, Syntace, Kalloy, Kore et c, et c) can
kick Italian/French/US arse every way to Sunday.

M "Euro-snob? Moi?" H

--
mfhor

Old August 7th 04, 04:40 PM
Roadie_scum

mfhor Wrote:
Well, no longer. Western companies demand their cake to eat in and take
away as well. "Lift your game or your competitor down the road gets the
contract" is the mantra western product directors have on loop-replay
when they go into meetings in Asia. Gradually, through a process of
"continuous improvement", Hsin Lung (Cane Creek, Truvativ, Dice,
Raceface, Profile, FSA, Syntace, Kalloy, Kore et c, et c) can kick
Italian/French/US arse every way to Sunday.

M "Euro-snob? Moi?" H

Not only can they kick ass, I think you'll find they're making a lot of
the 'italian', 'french' and 'US' bits of equipment too.

How to run a bike company: Repaint. Rebadge. Market. Market. Lie.
Market.

--
Roadie_scum

Old August 7th 04, 11:11 PM
Andrew Price

DRS wrote -

It was no slander. Jap then really was crap. They improved their quality
control over time but pretending their manufactured products were not
inferior in the 60s is to rewrite history.

Oh yeah - how about -

the Honda 750 / 4 vs any of the British bikes - who survived that contest ?

a Sony transistor radio vs the valve jobs then sold?

affordable 35mm SLR cameras compared to the cost of what came from Europe?

None of these things was ideal by today's standards - but it did knock the
then
competition into a cocked hat.

My point was that we do not perceive early enough how we are being targeted,
and the Chinese are going to repeat the Japanese experience but to much
greater effect and significance.

best, Andrew

Old August 8th 04, 05:18 AM
Hitchy

g'day,

'sigh'...i thought it was a relatively straight forward question. It
appears not. ya gotta love people who take every opportunity to quote
there political 'manefestos' at ya!. Now where were we...???

cheers,
Hitchy

--
Hitchy

Old August 9th 04, 10:59 PM
mfhor

Hitchy Wrote:
g'day,

'sigh'...i thought it was a relatively straight forward question. I
appears not. ya gotta love people who take every opportunity to quot
there political 'manefestos' at ya!. Now where were we...???

cheers,
Hitchy

Well, don't you want to know *why*? Bike manufacturing is just a smal
part of manufacturing practices in general - and cameras, motorbikes an
fishing reels all bear some resemblance to bike parts - which are som
industries from which bike part manufacturers recruit their staff. Yo
don't think that everyone who drives a TIG welder or milling machine a
China Bicycle Corporation is a hard core gnarly dude downhiller on
sabbatical, do you?

M "bits of metal and plastic that work harmoniously together"

--
mfhor