I have chewed up my rear wheel..time for a new one...

Old August 9th 04, 01:45 PM
Paulus

Default I have chewed up my rear wheel..time for a new one...

Hi all. I have done 7300km on my mountain bike and my rear wheel is nearly
kaput. I have begun to pull out eyelets and the wheel looses spoke tension
regardless of how many times it is trued,

I ride mainly on bike paths or the road and occasioanlly my bike sees some
dirt trails (like those on the various old railway lines). Any suggestions
on replacement wheels? I am looking at the shimano wheels with not many
spokes for example, rather than the vanilla type of wheel. Good or bad
choice?

Regards
Paul

Old August 9th 04, 10:43 PM
mfhor

Paulus Wrote:
Hi all. I have done 7300km on my mountain bike and my rear wheel i
nearl
kaput. I have begun to pull out eyelets and the wheel looses spok
tensio
regardless of how many times it is trued

I ride mainly on bike paths or the road and occasioanlly my bike see
som
dirt trails (like those on the various old railway lines). An
suggestion
on replacement wheels? I am looking at the shimano wheels with not man
spokes for example, rather than the vanilla type of wheel. Good or ba
choice

Regard
Paul

For bashing around, it is hard to beat 32 or 36 spokes. Get an LX o
higher level hub, DT/Sapim/Wheelsmith spokes and a good middleweigh
rim (Mavic/Sun/Ritchey OCR/DT et c.), get a guy who has being doing i
for some years to build it, and get it retensioned after 200 ks. I
built correctly, should last you indefinitely, and wear the sidewall
away (if using V-brakes) before it goes wonky. Barring trees, cars an
dogs, of course.

M "Low spoke count is for racing"

--
mfhor

Old August 10th 04, 12:26 AM
ritcho

mfhor Wrote:
For bashing around, it is hard to beat 32 or 36 spokes. Get an LX o
higher level hub, DT/Sapim/Wheelsmith spokes and a good middleweigh
rim (Mavic/Sun/Ritchey OCR/DT et c.), get a guy who has being doing i
for some years to build it, and get it retensioned after 200 ks. I
built correctly, should last you indefinitely, and wear the sidewall
away (if using V-brakes) before it goes wonky. Barring trees, cars an
dogs, of course.

p.s. you may be able to re-use your hub, and possibly your spokes, bu
replace the nipples if you are rebuilding the wheel. "Re-rimming" i
the technical jargon, but I get images in my head of Rimmer of 'Re
Dwarf' doing . . . unspeakable things . . .

M "Low spoke count is for racing" H

The re-rimming option is a good one if Paulus wants to have a go. Mayb
the entry from the r.b.t. FAQ would help...

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8c.3.html

Good luck!
Ritc

--