Interesting bike sighting

Old January 20th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Interesting bike sighting

I was out shopping today, and saw a Schwinn cruiser with the narrowest drop
bars I've ever seen. 38cm easy. Looked like keirin bars, wrapped with black
electrical tape.

Old January 20th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

My 1999-ish tempo came with 40cm Cinellis. I think it was the fashion
to be aerodynamically narrow on the high-end bikes like the Tempo,
Prologue and Paramount.

Old January 20th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"bryanska" wrote in message
ups.com...
My 1999-ish tempo came with 40cm Cinellis. I think it was the fashion
to be aerodynamically narrow on the high-end bikes like the Tempo,
Prologue and Paramount.

That I do not doubt. Seeing such narrow bars on a classic cruiser struck me
as kind of odd. Whitewall tires and all.

Old January 21st 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

The stock drops on my 58cm Viscount were @37cm, not that bad really,
though I'm now on 42cm.

I saw a similarly narrow flat bar on a huffy cruiser this afternoon.
Narrow enough to ride wearing handcuffs.

Old January 21st 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"landotter" wrote in message
ups.com...
The stock drops on my 58cm Viscount were @37cm, not that bad really,
though I'm now on 42cm.

I saw a similarly narrow flat bar on a huffy cruiser this afternoon.
Narrow enough to ride wearing handcuffs.

So am I somehow missing the reason behind this odd combination?

Old January 21st 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:50:56 +0000, gooserider wrote:

I was out shopping today, and saw a Schwinn cruiser with the narrowest drop
bars I've ever seen. 38cm easy. Looked like keirin bars, wrapped with black
electrical tape.

It's definitely weird to see them on a cruiser, but such narrow bars used
to be standard. Over the years my bars have gone from about that size --
certainly below 40cm, to the 44's I wouldn't be comfortable without today.
In fact, on my commuter I couldn't stand the bars that were on it -- and
those were the ones I had raced with, 35 years ago. So I got another set
of 44cm cross bars.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
(_)/ (_) |

Old January 21st 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gooserider wrote:
"landotter" wrote in message
ups.com...
The stock drops on my 58cm Viscount were @37cm, not that bad really,
though I'm now on 42cm.

I saw a similarly narrow flat bar on a huffy cruiser this afternoon.
Narrow enough to ride wearing handcuffs.

So am I somehow missing the reason behind this odd combination?

g-e-t-a-w-a-y v-e-h-i-c-l-e

:P

Old January 23rd 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article , gooserider
) wrote:
I was out shopping today, and saw a Schwinn cruiser with the narrowest drop
bars I've ever seen. 38cm easy. Looked like keirin bars, wrapped with black
electrical tape.

I saw a courier the other day whose bars were ju-u-u-u-st long enough
for him to place a hand either side of the stem, and no more.

I thought I saw his name on a jar of marmalade the other day, but when I
looked more closely, I saw it read 'thick cut'.

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
19 Days to go: NBG Mayors' Ride Excitement #5 Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 March 30th 05 07:32 PM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM