The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Old February 15th 06, 06:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Tamyka Bell wrote:
dave wrote:
snip

Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down and
she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
thing had happened a week earlier

Triathlete tho

Now there's some shining social skills. Sit in a bunch, wheelsuck, but
don't chat, oh no, listen to your iPod instead...

Tam

Yeah sort of what I thought actually. I said Hi.. was ignored.
Seem to recall she was pretty with fresh scabs... but can;t say I really
noticed. Still Joggers.. Triathletes... not really social animals

Dave
Old February 15th 06, 07:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

daveL wrote:

Police warning for iPod users

By Ben Schneiders
February 15, 2006 - 3:59PM

Police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod while
riding unless they have a death wish.

"If you're a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn't wear an iPod
under any circumstances," Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby
told theage.com.au this afternoon.

On the subject of music and vehicles, I was wandering through a car
wrecker's yard one day and came across a vehicle that looked like it
must have gone underneath a semi-trailer. The roof was just about fully
caved in, the dash was up near the front seat. Not much chance of
survival. I noticed a cassette sticking out of the player and reached in
to see what it was: an album of Christian music with memorable numbers
such as "When Jesus Is With Me, I'll Be Safe". I'd say avoid any form of
Christian music unless you have a death wish.

Peter

BTW What's the current status of St Christopher statues?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old February 15th 06, 08:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 05:10:04 +0000, daveL wrote:

He said people were misjudging the risks of listening to music and
commuting: "You don't get onto your house roof and stand on your hands.

I need to find the photo of me trying to do a handstand atop the middle of
the 3 sisters. Life's too short to wear cotton wool.

--
Dave Hughes |
Love wouldn't be blind if the braille wasn't so damned much fun.

Old February 15th 06, 09:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dave Wrote:

Mind you I watched a very non aware cyclist in a bunch go down while
wearing an iPod last year. Two guys in front clipped and went down
and
she plowed straight into them.. I just missed her. She said the same
thing had happened a week earlier

Triathlete tho

Bunches are different. I never use the radio when in a bunch.
The verbal calls are too important for bunch safety.

--
aeek

Old February 15th 06, 10:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Does that also included Radio National?

--
Marx SS

Old February 15th 06, 10:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Sorry to say, but I think that whole article is a bunch of shvt. It's up
to the individual to CHOOSE if they ride with music or not... and if so,
they can govern how loud they have it.
I commute once a week and would go insane without my ipod! For the
30.5kms to and from work, can't go wrong. Obviously, the music is not
blaring and I can clearly hear traffic and of course, abuse dished out
by tradies along the way.
Riding in this morning I had the white plugs in and could hear
everyword of a tradie warning me that they were going to turn left up
ahead... yes, the shock horror of not being abused!!!

cheers,
Bill

--
kyra

Old February 15th 06, 10:48 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

I use them (mp3 players) on a velodrone when doing intervals, and also
on long country rides on my own. I don't have them up loud enough to
cover traffic noises and thus far have not been suprised by traffic (or
anything else!) because of an inability to hear them.

As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
st doofing away may be pains in the arse and annoying ******s, but
they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
coming

I only started usign one a couple of weeks ago and have found I enjoy
using it on the commute into work but not on the way home. I only have
it just loud enough to hear, but with the increased traffic on the way
home I find a lose a bit of an edge so only use it on the way in now.

As for long country rides, I go by the words of the great sage Darryl
Kerrigan and "feel the serenity". Besides, on a BR I wouldn't hear
anything over the noise of my breathing.

DaveB
Old February 15th 06, 11:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:
Bleve wrote:

[...]

I'm talking 4 hours plus, when one's own company and inner monologue
tends to get rather more abstract than I'm comfortable with!

Old February 15th 06, 11:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle

warrwych wrote:

3) I have yet to see a commuter smoking

For the same reason that people get low fat icecreams and waffle cones
I guess, I've seen commuting cyclists smoking.

4) going thru intersections can kill you?????

you bet! If there's a missile coming the other way!

Old February 16th 06, 12:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle

For ****'s sake.

Listening to tunes while riding, I can stil hear far more of what the
traffic is doing than I ever could on a motorcycle (with helmet+earplugs).

In fact I reckon my car insulates me from more traffic noise than my MP3
player.

I've never relied on my aural sense to make decisions on the road, in
any case. What a crock of sensationalist ****e.

Jules