The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Old February 16th 06, 12:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Bleve Wrote:
warrwych wrote:

3) I have yet to see a commuter smoking

For the same reason that people get low fat icecreams and waffle cones
I guess, I've seen commuting cyclists smoking.

4) going thru intersections can kill you?????

you bet! If there's a missile coming the other way!

or skinny lattes with their cake?? ( I do it for the taste!).

I had an image of entering an intersection and being "fried" instantly
by some mysterious killing force hehe , as opposed to the
obvious...

--
warrwych

Old February 16th 06, 01:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-15, Bleve (aka Bruce)
As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
st doofing away may be pains in the arse and annoying ******s, but
they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
coming

I want to obtain the song "sick mate, sick, subwoofer" for tomorrow
night's fully sick ride. If only I was leet in the bittorrent
department.

Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be fun.

--
TimC
'Vegetarian' -- it's an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.
Old February 16th 06, 01:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-16, Jules (aka Bruce)
For ****'s sake.

Listening to tunes while riding, I can stil hear far more of what the
traffic is doing than I ever could on a motorcycle (with helmet+earplugs).

In fact I reckon my car insulates me from more traffic noise than my MP3
player.

Absolutely. Modern cars seem to be explicitly designed to minimise
external noise -- how can that even be legal? So a radio on softly in
a car is going to be far worse that earplugs (you can buy ones that
don't cut out external noise, if that's what you desire) with music.

I've never relied on my aural sense to make decisions on the road, in
any case. What a crock of sensationalist ****e.

I use them to augment vision. If I can here a car getting louder
behind me, I don't even bother looking in the mirror to check whether
I can pull over into the right lane if it's not urgent. Next step is
to use the mirror, and then final step is to do a headcheck, since
even the mirror has blind spots. I perform the easiest step first,
and leave the hardest step til all other indications show it is
probably clear to move right.

I love it on BRs when I call out "car back" before the back rider has
even noticed its presence .

--
TimC
Stapp's (of Murphy's law fame) Law: the universal aptitude for
Old February 16th 06, 01:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-02-15, Bleve (aka Bruce)
As with many things, it's not necessarily what you use, but how you use
it, that can make something dangerous. Riceboys parading down crapple
st doofing away may be pains in the arse and annoying ******s, but
they're not dangerous, for example, and at least they're easy to hear
coming

I want to obtain the song "sick mate, sick, subwoofer" for tomorrow
night's fully sick ride. If only I was leet in the bittorrent
department.

Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be fun.

But they *are* dangerous if you embarras them in front of their target
audience.

Be careful.

Old February 16th 06, 02:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:

Taking the **** out of fully sick guys on Lygon st will be

fun.

But they *are* dangerous if you embarras them in front of their target
audience.

Be careful.[/color]

There are enough intersections on Lygon Street...

--
warrwych

Old February 16th 06, 04:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB Wrote:

Speakign of embarassing ******s, as I cycled past a bus stop with a
group of school boys (16 yo's or thereabouts) today one decided to run
out and scream at me to give me a scare. Couldn't stop or pull over
immediately because of heavy traffic but managed to swing around and
come back to them eventually. Asked which one was the hero and got
stunned silence as six brave schoolboys hang their heads in silence.
Gave them an earful about being little boys without any guts, and
continued on my way. Hopefully they may re-consider next time.

DaveB

That kid obviously had too much nutragrain for breakfast!

--
warrwych

Old February 16th 06, 05:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

NoZX6R wrote:

cfsmtb wrote:

snip
Of course, it's about responsibility. As much as I dislike seeing
cycling wearing earpods, riced out smogbox sound systems are just as
fecking annoying.

Do you dislike seeing deaf cyclists too?

If you could tell they were deaf, that is.

I think we've all, at some stage, tried to yell to someone that we're
passing, and had nil reaction. If they had earphones, I'd guess they
were not deaf, just not very aware. If it was Lotte, I'd be wrong (but
then she's plenty aware).

Be safe, people.

Tam
Old February 16th 06, 05:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle

DaveB wrote:

Speakign of embarassing ******s, as I cycled past a bus stop with a
group of school boys (16 yo's or thereabouts) today one decided to run
out and scream at me to give me a scare. Couldn't stop or pull over
immediately because of heavy traffic but managed to swing around and
come back to them eventually. Asked which one was the hero and got
stunned silence as six brave schoolboys hang their heads in silence.
Gave them an earful about being little boys without any guts, and
continued on my way. Hopefully they may re-consider next time.

Had that happen to me many years ago on the motorbike. They were having a
great laugh amongst themselves about it and didn't notice me until I stopped
beside them on the footpath. They looked a little subdued when I left. :-)

Theo

Old February 16th 06, 05:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bean Long wrote:

My 2 cents... I've had plenty of issues recently with other bike
commuters as I try to pass them in traffic. I shout "passing" to them
but they don't hear me cos they have their plugs in! I'm forced to
stop or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid prick is singing
"la de da" with his ipod shoved up his arse! Most of these people
have drive trains that sound like they've never been cleaned but they
have clearly never heard the noise. Mark me down as an open ear
commuter.

Hoo! You sound just like a car driver.

Theo

Old February 16th 06, 05:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
I think we've all, at some stage, tried to yell to someone that we're
passing, and had nil reaction. If they had earphones, I'd guess they
were not deaf, just not very aware. If it was Lotte, I'd be wrong (but
then she's plenty aware).

But Tam, people never announce when they're passing anymore. That's so
1998. I'm not aware. I'm ****ing paranoid.

I'm not sure I should attend the ride tomorrow morning - last week I
started to really get the ****s with other cyclists passing without
calling it first and I fear that tomorrow I'll lose it.

Lotte

P.S. For those of you who are truly ignorant and would tell me to wear
my hearing aids when riding, well I do if I'm riding with Tam and the
others, but it's not something I like doing as it damages them
considerably. At $4000 for a basic pair, I'm not about to waste them.

--
LotteBum