The Age: Police warning for iPod users

Old February 18th 06, 08:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default The Age: Police warning for iPod users

hi
sorry for not replying earlier

ive got the audio from mr plod on kneal m show on 3YawN that this story
is from

anyone want a copy in mp3 email me direct
2.15min (500kb)

Old February 19th 06, 06:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On Sat, 17 Feb 2006, Bleve wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Resound wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Bean Long wrote:
snip
Any deaf cyclists here who use other cues (apart from mirrors) to avoid
being flattened?

LotteBum uses shoulder checks.

Tam

So do I, and I'm far from deaf. I ceratinly pay attention to aural cues, but
it's a crowded environment. Looking around is crucial.

Ditto. To the point where it becomes habit and I look silly in a crit.

It's good to have your radar running during a race. Means you can see
what's happening. We practice this a lot at sprint skills

I look even sillier on an indoor trainer ;-)

Tam
Old February 19th 06, 09:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Tamyka Bell" wrote

Sure he/she should, if planning on passing within the same lane,

where
legal to do so. Although that would more equate to a cyclist

ringing a
bell, wouldn't it?

Yes. And a bell actually makes more sense to me than yelling
"passing".

Theo

Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old February 20th 06, 09:49 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Aeek wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:47:43 +1100, Bean Long wrote:

Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

Andre

Cool... I needed an excuse! Actually, I thought that, like in Vic for
example, it was a requirement that bikes be sold with a bell and
reflectors here in the ACT. Mine came with none of that but I saw the
same bike at a different LBS with all add-ons. I prefer the naked look!

Old February 20th 06, 11:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Aeek wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:47:43 +1100, Bean Long wrote:

Yeah yeah... I know... I gotta get a new bell !

Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

Andre

Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.

Tam
Old February 21st 06, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Aeek wrote:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 09:08:17 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

Aeek wrote:

Getting a bell to fit standard "oversized" road bars can be a challenge.

Nah, you just get those flexible mount ones, slip it over, and use a
cable tie to do it up, rather than a screw. Easy, and it weighs less.

Tam

except I want to take it off for racing when we are legally exempt.
That gets to be a lot of cable ties; otherwise, good idea, thanks.

Andre

If you ride crits, and leave the bell on... Guess who decides when it's
time for the Prime?

Old February 22nd 06, 09:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum Wrote:
daveL wrote:

Police warning for iPod users

By Ben Schneiders
February 15, 2006 - 3:59PM

Police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod

while
riding unless they have a death wish.

"If you're a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn't wear an

iPod
under any circumstances," Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel

Ashby
told theage.com.au this afternoon.

On the subject of music and vehicles, I was wandering through a car
wrecker's yard one day and came across a vehicle that looked like it
must have gone underneath a semi-trailer. The roof was just about
fully
caved in, the dash was up near the front seat. Not much chance of
survival. I noticed a cassette sticking out of the player and reached
in
to see what it was: an album of Christian music with memorable numbers
such as "When Jesus Is With Me, I'll Be Safe". I'd say avoid any form
of
Christian music unless you have a death wish.

Peter

BTW What's the current status of St Christopher statues?

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

must have been keen to join the heavenly choir:-)

--
ProfTournesol

Old February 22nd 06, 09:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Theo Bekkers Wrote:[color=blue]
Bean Long wrote:

I'm forced to
stop or merge with 80kph + traffic cos some stupid prick is singing
"la de da" with his ipod shoved up his arse!

Hoo! You sound just like a car driver.

Theo

don't worry Theo, their music must sound like ****:-)

--