Road Rage

Old September 18th 06, 02:08 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

Default Road Rage

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...
Are you sure that the definition of 'vehicle' does not include bicycle?
Stranger things have happened.

Nice bit of law - I must see if it has been contemplated or passed in
Qld.

Donga

I think something similar was introduced by Premier Beattie.

Yes, the definition of Vehicle in section 51 A excxludes bicycles, which is
different to the Road Rules definition. Very curious I agree.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/n...0082/s52a.html

"vehicle" means:
(a) any motor car, motor carriage, motor cycle or other vehicle propelled
wholly or partly by volatile spirit, steam, gas, oil, electricity, or by any
other means other than human or animal power, or
(b) a horse-drawn vehicle,

Old September 18th 06, 02:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

"Donga" wrote in message
Nice bit of law - I must see if it has been contemplated or passed in
Qld.

Donga

Here it is:

http://info.teambeattie.com/01_cms/details.asp?ID=447

Maybe someone should ask that cyclists get included as possible victims.

Old September 18th 06, 02:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
dave

TimC wrote:
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 at 00:25 GMT, MikeyOz (aka Bruce)
well not quite road rage, but following on from my near death
experience and subsequent mawling at the hands of our insurance
company. Then finding out the girl who hit me earns $200 a week and has
no insurance what so ever. I have decided even though I am fully aware I
will probably not get any money from her, that we are going to go ahead
with action to sue her and if not anything at all teach her to take
responsibility for her actions. We are hoping that best case scenario
she will have to declare bankruptcy and have that mark against her for
a few years. When I found out she did not even have the decency to
have Third Party insurance to cover damage to other peoples property I
just lost it.

That's illegal, is it not?

Sue her, and make sure the police know she was driving uninsured. She
isn't driving any longer, I trust?

Perfectly legal to not have property insurance in victoria. In fact if
you were (for example ) a big taxi company it might make perfect
economic sense

Dave
Old September 18th 06, 02:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Fractal Wrote:
"Donga" wrote in message
Nice bit of law - I must see if it has been contemplated or passed

in
Qld.

Donga

Here it is:

http://info.teambeattie.com/01_cms/details.asp?ID=447

Maybe someone should ask that cyclists get included as possible
victims.

Premier Rann's attempt at it:
South Australia: Criminal Law Consolidation (Dangerous Driving)
Amendment Act 2006
http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/news.php?id=445

--
cfsmtb

Old September 18th 06, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

I'd be reporting it. Even if the police can give the guy a call, let
him know that what he did was unacceptable (duh!) and make a note of
the incident, at least if he kills a cyclist next week - or anyone else
for that matter - you will be evidence that he's a f*cktard who
unfortunately happens to have been granted that good old 'right' we all
have - a license to drive.

I once got tailgated and cut off in a bad way by a knob in a Capri and
subsequently rang the police (well, I got Paulie to do it as he was in
the passenger seat) who were extremely grateful for our call. I
haven't had as much luck when reporting incidents when riding. The
last time I did, the useless bonehead said that there was nothing he
could do until I reminded him that a phone call reminding the offending
party of his breach of the law, might not be such a bad idea.

Don't sit back. Do something. Good luck!

LH

--
LotteBum

Old September 19th 06, 12:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

LotteBum Wrote:

Don't sit back. Do something. Good luck!

Yeah, what she said.

--
cfsmtb

Old September 19th 06, 04:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 at 11:54 GMT, Donga (aka Bruce)
Fractal wrote:
(1) The driver of a vehicle who, while in pursuit of or travelling near
another vehicle
(a) engages in a course of conduct that causes or threatens an impact
involving the other vehicle, and
(b) intends by that course of conduct to cause a person in the other
vehicle actual bodily harm,
is guilty of an offence and liable to imprisonment for 5 years.
The Vics apparently didnt think it was important enough to introduce these
new crimes.

There is an article at http://www.aic.gov.au/publications/t...tandi311t.html
which says only 6 out of 61 Predatory Driving charges have been successful
and the stats for Menacing Driving werent even collected. The article
proposes better definitions of what Road Rage is - Road Violence is what
they call it, or Road Hostility if it is non-violent. Selfish Driving is
what they call "driving behaviour with the objective of gaining time, space
and pleasure but without the intention to harm people" - I thought that was
a fair definition of what most Sydney drivers are up to!.

Are you sure that the definition of 'vehicle' does not include bicycle?
Stranger things have happened.

What's strange about it?

I think most states have a definition that a bicycle is a vehicle.
Most dictionaries do too.

--
TimC
Imagine what a tipped over tractor-trailer formerly

Not half as messy as a truckload of oranges.

Or a hovercraft full of eels. -- Tanuki on ASR
Old September 19th 06, 05:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound

snip
Are you sure that the definition of 'vehicle' does not include bicycle?
Stranger things have happened.

What's strange about it?

I think most states have a definition that a bicycle is a vehicle.
Most dictionaries do too.

And indeed, what is a bicycle if not a vehicle?

Old September 19th 06, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Paulie-AU

Resound Wrote:
And indeed, what is a bicycle if not a vehicle?

A great toy

--
Paulie-AU

Old September 19th 06, 06:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Paulie-AU wrote:
Resound Wrote:
And indeed, what is a bicycle if not a vehicle?

A great toy

My girlfriend.

Donga