Avanti Giro roadbike

Old August 5th 04, 03:44 PM
Rom

Default Avanti Giro roadbike

I just bought a new Avanti Giro roadbike and have heard rumours of people
having frames replaced because of cracking. Has anyone heard these stories
and can provide more info?

Rom

Old August 5th 04, 08:40 PM
Robbie Hewson

Why would a shop sell something like that in the first place, if its a
common thing on that bike ?

Old August 6th 04, 12:32 AM
JAF

Rom Wrote:
I just bought a new Avanti Giro roadbike and have heard rumours of
people
having frames replaced because of cracking. Has anyone heard these
stories
and can provide more info?

Rom

ROM, I have an Avanti Kona 2003 model with the 540 wheels. I have done
about 3500km on some average roads (still sealed). I weigh about 115kg
and have had no problems at all, not even a spoke!

Enjoy the new ride.

James

--
JAF

Old August 6th 04, 02:21 AM
Marx SS

JAF Wrote:
ROM, I have an Avanti Kona 2003 model with the 540 wheels. I have done
about 3500km on some average roads (still sealed). I weigh about 115kg
and have had no problems at all, not even a spoke!

Enjoy the new ride.

James

I have a crack appearing near the seat-post on the frame on my Avanti
Aggressor 2003 MTB. Not that I've done any heavy offroad, but even if I
had, that's what it is designed for (part of Avanti's 'Pro' MTB series
- racing or heavy offroad going).
It's only a little crack & I'm taking to the dealer this weekend, but I
need the bike for an event coming next week & I can see the dealer
telling me they need to hold onto it for a few days (yep actually means
few weeks to months, if i ride it before 2005 I'ld be lucky).

--
Marx SS

Old August 6th 04, 06:26 AM
byron27

Rom Wrote:
I just bought a new Avanti Giro roadbike and have heard rumours of
people
having frames replaced because of cracking. Has anyone heard these
stories
and can provide more info?

Rom

This is only my experience. I have snapped 5 avanti frames.
one MTB (aggressor) and 4 road frames.
Two of those were giros and the other two were konas. They all snapped
at the replaceable rear drop out where the width of the alloy is
approx. half a centimetre with the exception of one. That snapped right
through the bottom bracket!!

I informed avanti about this and they weren't interested and dismissed
it as "bad luck".
The average waiting time for a new frame under warranty back on the
road was 3 months. Unacceptable.

I weighed around 88kg when all these frames were broken. The longest
time a frame lasted was 9 months. The shortest 6 weeks!!!

I used to love these bikes back when they made steel MTB years ago but
the quality of their frames over the last few years has gone down the
tubes.

I would never recommend anyone to buy an Avanti unless you are under
70kg. Then the shoddy design shouldnt matter.

--
byron27

Old August 6th 04, 09:30 AM
ritcho

byron27 Wrote:
This is only my experience. I have snapped 5 avanti frames.
one MTB (aggressor) and 4 road frames.
Two of those were giros and the other two were konas. They all snapped
at the replaceable rear drop out where the width of the alloy is
approx. half a centimetre with the exception of one. That snapped right
through the bottom bracket!!

[snip]

I would never recommend anyone to buy an Avanti unless you are under
70kg. Then the shoddy design shouldnt matter.

hmmm. 4 road frames... I don't mean to be rude, but was Avanti your
sponsor or were you the eternal optimist?

Ritch (haven't broken any frames yet - feeling left out!)

--
ritcho

Old August 9th 04, 12:24 AM
Marx SS

ritcho Wrote:
hmmm. 4 road frames... I don't mean to be rude, but was Avanti your
sponsor or were you the eternal optimist?

Ritch (haven't broken any frames yet - feeling left out!)

Just came back from dropping off my 2003 Avanti Aggressor & Vic MTB
Centre (don't want to bag the dealer here, just for your info).
They looked over the bike & the crack near the seat post.
Took my details & said they'll get back to me.
I asked about how long if everything works out well, they said 1 week.
I asked what happens if theings go wrong & I got a blank stare....

How's this:
The dealer told me that the Avanti manufacturer warrentee covers the
frame for 5 yrs. But the dealership will charge for reassembly (labour)
when the replacement frame is recieved, approx $100.
And I thought Avanti would absorb this sort of thing with their
warrentees, maybe they do.......

--
Marx SS

Old August 9th 04, 05:14 AM
byron27

ritcho Wrote:
hmmm. 4 road frames... I don't mean to be rude, but was Avanti your
sponsor or were you the eternal optimist?

Ritch (haven't broken any frames yet - feeling left out!)

yes, maybe too optimistic but the main reason was that i didnt have the
money to buy a new bike and i had "spare" bike so i thought i would get
as many frames out of it as i could before i could afford a new one

--
byron27