The good old days

Old August 8th 04, 09:19 AM
HUMBUG

Default The good old days

On 7 Aug 2004 06:35:44 -0700, Tom Nicholson Wrote :

[1] http://members.optushome.com.au/forsythm/GreyBike/

Thats one nice tourer! Especially appreciate the hand break straps..

Why, thank you..:-) If you have a close look at the cluster and
chainrings you can see how sadly in need of maintenance it is...:-)
The bottom bracket is an ANCIENT Suntour grease guard job that hasn't
been removed since the day it was installed. The pedals have a small
hole drilled in the end cap for the grease guard gun and the hub dust
covers have likewise been drilled. A good shot everywhere once a month
keeps everything running nicely...:-) The hubs are more than 20 years
and LOTS (6k km this year so far) of miles old and are as nice as day
one...:-)

The drive train, however, is totally rooted and sadly needs replacement.

A most useful device when touring.

Bloody essential if you ask me. It's amazing how quickly a loaded touring
bike can fling itself on its side giving you good sized chain-ring bites
in the process.

Tom

--

Humbug
Old August 9th 04, 04:51 AM
Suzy Jackson

DaveB wrote in message ...
I'm sick of stories of road rage, accidents, doom and gloom, flood
pestilence and famine, broken axles (oh that was me). How about some
cyclign stories from the good old days. I'll kick it off.

My first bike was a purple Malvern Star dragster, with a sissy bar and
banana seat. I remember once, after mastering the art of riding
standing on the seat rather than the pedals, trying spectacularly
unsuccessfully to remove the hands from the bars while standing on the
seat.

Mum was most unimpressed when I presented myself at the back door,
bleeding from every limb.

What strikes me as the biggest difference between now and then is that
back then pretty much everybody rode their bike to school. The bike
sheds were full of bikes, and very few of them were even locked to
anything. Now I doubt you'd even find a school with a bike shed...

Regards,

Suzy
Old August 9th 04, 05:43 AM
flyingdutch

Suzy Jackson Wrote:
What strikes me as the biggest difference between now and then is that
back then pretty much everybody rode their bike to school. The bike
sheds were full of bikes, and very few of them were even locked to
anything. Now I doubt you'd even find a school with a bike shed...
Regards,
Suzy

Dont start me on that!$@#!!!

that's what got me involved in BBUG in the first place.
Just convinced my girls' school council to get bike sheds put in, and
to turn the intended walkathon into a bikeathon
Guess who was volunteered for mechanical support on the day?
(how does one repair streamers???)

--
flyingdutch

Old August 9th 04, 08:10 AM
bjay

"aeek" wrote

I remember the feel of wind in my hair.

So do I . . . . . but that was when I had hair.

Old August 9th 04, 10:11 AM
Terry Collins

bjay wrote:

"aeek" wrote

I remember the feel of wind in my hair.

So do I . . . . . but that was when I had hair.

You can get that feeling again by growing a beard {:-)}}}

sigh!
Old August 9th 04, 10:12 AM
Terry Collins

flyingdutch wrote:

(how does one repair streamers???)

stapler.
Old August 9th 04, 10:41 AM
HUMBUG

On 8 Aug 2004 20:51:33 -0700, Suzy Jackson Wrote :

snip

What strikes me as the biggest difference between now and then is that
back then pretty much everybody rode their bike to school. The bike

When I was Footscray Tech. bike parking was at a premium and there were
six good sized sheds...:-)

sheds were full of bikes, and very few of them were even locked to
anything. Now I doubt you'd even find a school with a bike shed...

Thus denying the kids of today a really workable excuse for being late.
rubs hands on chain "Sorry I'm late, I got a puncture (holds up
grotty hands) - can I go wash my hands ??" Worked every time. They
probably don't take as many days off to go _exploring_ though...:-)

Regards,

Suzy

--

Humbug