Fscking Shimano!!

Old July 26th 06, 02:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Default Fscking Shimano!!

Karen Gallagher wrote:

Absent Husband wrote:
Over the weekend, I noticed my rear wheel was slightly out of true, so
figured that I should pull out the old spoke key and have a fiddle...

The rear is a Shimano r550, which I love by the way (yes, I'm aware of
its reputation!!). Anyway - first of all, I realised that I couldn't
access the drive side nipples unless I took off the cassette (the
nipples are near the hub)!!! *grrr*

Then, after I'd removed the cassette, I discovered that my old nifty
little BBB spoke key (that has 3 sizes for different size nips), was
too small!!

So today, I rang around a few bike shops to find out if they had a
spoke key that would fit (and I could buy). Turns out that I have to
buy a special Shimano spoke key, because they are the only ones that
make 'em that size... *grrrrrr*

I stilll love my Shimano r550 wheels. But not quite as much as I did a
week ago... *grins*

Cheers,
Abby

Abby, if you're stuck I can make you one easily enough

Email me on my _real_ email addy, not this one

Karen

Or Steven can. He loves wheelbuilding.

Old August 15th 06, 11:49 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

Digging up an old thread here, but anyway...

I finally got my hands on a Shimano spoke key at lunch-time today.
Thanks to Victors in Brisbane CBD..

Snyway, got home, and headed straight to the shed to play with my rear
r550 wheel. Tightened what i figured was the offending spoke
half-a-turn, when "PONG" - it snapped!!!

FSCK!!

"Hi, my name is Abby. I have Shimano wheels, and I suffer from spoke
breakage..."

I've been moping about since then, but my lovely wife poured me a
scotch, and went and bought me an ice-cream from the servo to cheer me
up...

Anyway - can't do anything about it tomorrow as its a public holiday in
Brissie for the Ekka. But on Thursday, I'll take it in to the city and
started begging the lbs's for assistance...

Cheers all,
Abby (feeling slightly deflated)

Old August 15th 06, 11:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Karen Gallagher

Absent Husband wrote:
[...]

I feel your pain, Abby.

Does this mean you're not around for an LA ride Friday?

Karen

--
"Sometimes I think I have a Guardian Idiot - a little invisible spirit just
behind my shoulder, looking out for me ... only he's an imbecile" - Jake Stonebender
Old August 16th 06, 12:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Absent Husband

Karen Gallagher wrote:

I feel your pain, Abby.

Does this mean you're not around for an LA ride Friday?

Karen

Thanks Karen! *grins*

I've got my old set of Mavic CXP-22's lying around in the shed. If I
can't get the spoke replaced, etc, on Thursday, then I'll swap the tyre
onto the CXP-22 rear and use that as a temporary fix... So hopefully
I'll be right for Friday no matter what!

See ya,
Abby

Old August 16th 06, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Absent Husband wrote:
So hopefully I'll be right for Friday no matter what!

Bad luck mate. That means you missed riding on Ekka Day. Had a fabulous
ride up to Nebo on the road - just perfect weather!

Donga

Old August 16th 06, 01:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
alison_b

Absent Husband Wrote:

"Hi, my name is Abby. I have Shimano wheels, and I suffer from spoke
breakage..."

I've been moping about since then, but my lovely wife poured me a
scotch, and went and bought me an ice-cream from the servo to cheer me
up...

Abby (feeling slightly deflated)

how many spokes can you break before she catches on?

ali

--
alison_b

Old August 17th 06, 01:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Absent Husband wrote:

[...]

Shoulda called us dude, we have spares...

Tam