How to make a recumbent stationary bike more portable

Old January 19th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

Default How to make a recumbent stationary bike more portable

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:31:03 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:11:51 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

"LurfysMa" wrote in message
.. .
Sorry to cross-post, but I'm hoping someone in one of these groups
might have an idea.

I just purchased a LifeCore recumbent stationary bike, model 900rb.
Here is the web page:

http://www.lifecorefitness.com/products.asp?id=2

Like most of these small home units, it has wheels built into the
front stabilizer bar. These wheels probably work on hard floors, but
they are way too small for carpet.

I would like to be able to move the bike between two adjacent rooms,
both of which are carpeted. There is also a low metal threshhold
between the rooms, so the wheels will need to be at least 3-4" in
diameter.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this.

You just need to make the built in wheels bigger somehow.

Wrap them with tape?
Take them off and mold resin around them?
Cut an "expander" out of very thick rubber and superglue it on?
Make an expander out of multiple layers of plywood, and
epoxy it on? Wrap the outside with duct or plumbers tape.

The built-in wheels are just that -- built in. The opening wouldn't
take a wheel more than maybe .25" larger.

Looking at the picture, I thought they were the round "pads" at
the ends of the front supports. I've seen other equipment that way.

Bob

Look about half way down this page:
http://www.servicecaster.com/bassick.htm

There is a caster that comes with a sleeve. If (big if) the bike
support is strong enough and won't gall and work loose from the
sleeve, you can drill and insert one at each corner. There are
variations of these, but this is an example. We did something like
this with a pipe-based support base on furniture in a jail. It also
needed a snap lock/clip to hold the sleeve in place, but that was easy
to get.

People convert things like this all the time, so if you call a
supplier, they should be able to get you the best solution. The other
big if is what you are willing to pay. Quality casters begin around $
100 for a set of 4. Cheaper and they're soft metal that will fold
aound the caster insert.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old January 19th 07, 07:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:13:28 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:

Look about half way down this page:
http://www.servicecaster.com/bassick.htm

There is a caster that comes with a sleeve. If (big if) the bike
support is strong enough and won't gall and work loose from the
sleeve, you can drill and insert one at each corner. There are
variations of these, but this is an example. We did something like
this with a pipe-based support base on furniture in a jail. It also
needed a snap lock/clip to hold the sleeve in place, but that was easy
to get.

Or here

http://www.servicecaster.com/colson.htm

at the bottom of the page.
Old January 19th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom The Great

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:45:16 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:26:41 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 22:45:47 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

Sorry to cross-post, but I'm hoping someone in one of these groups
might have an idea.

I just purchased a LifeCore recumbent stationary bike, model 900rb.
Here is the web page:

http://www.lifecorefitness.com/products.asp?id=2

Like most of these small home units, it has wheels built into the
front stabilizer bar. These wheels probably work on hard floors, but
they are way too small for carpet.

I would like to be able to move the bike between two adjacent rooms,
both of which are carpeted. There is also a low metal threshhold
between the rooms, so the wheels will need to be at least 3-4" in
diameter.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to do this.

My first thought was to build a cradle out of wood. The stabilizers
are tubes that are 25" long with a 3" diameter.

Start with a 2x6. The following are all end views:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Cut a channel for the axle:

XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Glue (screw?) a 1x6 on top to secure the axle (the "o"):

===============
XXXXXXXoXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Glue 45 degree shoulders to make the cradle:

X X
XXX XXX
XXXXX XXXXX
===============
XXXXXXXoXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Secure the cradle to the stablizer with straps or clamps. It will need
to be tight enough that the cradle won't slide around the tube.

Is this a poor solution?

Are there better ones?

Thanks

My kid got a scooter, a blue plastic board with four caster wheels.
There are examples he
http://www.fit-senior.com/acatalog/F...Games_462.html
I was eyeballing his scooter to use around teh house to move heavy
items. Maybe this is the simple solution you want.

Thanks for that link. I am afraid that the wheels might be too small.
Let me know if you try moving something that weighs over 100 lbs on
carpet.

I did a quick search for scooters, dollies, and carts, but didnl;t
turn up anything better.

I had to more a large computer hutch to paint walls. I found carpet
slide glides at Lowes. They are plastic/teflon disks that create a
low-friction surface on carpet. Cheap too. Might work here, but
guessing.....

tom @ www.YourMoneyMakingIdeas.com

Old January 19th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
mm

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 07:29:05 -0800, LurfysMa
wrote:

I was trying to keep it as small (and unobtrusive) as possible, but I
see how a little 4-wheel dolly would be more stable. I think I'd still
need to strap it on so it didn't jump/slip off, but those straps could
be much lighter.

Do you plan to push or pull the whole thing on four wheels?

How about lifting up one end and pulling it from one room to the
other? After all, you're doing this for exercise, and there are more
than lungs, heart, and legs.
Old January 20th 07, 04:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
LurfysMa

wrote:

I was trying to keep it as small (and unobtrusive) as possible, but I
see how a little 4-wheel dolly would be more stable. I think I'd still
need to strap it on so it didn't jump/slip off, but those straps could
be much lighter.

Do you plan to push or pull the whole thing on four wheels?

Whichever works.

How about lifting up one end and pulling it from one room to the
other? After all, you're doing this for exercise, and there are more
than lungs, heart, and legs.

If it were just about exercise, that would be fine. But dragging it
across carpet would take a toll on the carpet over time and get me in
hot water with the boss.

Old January 20th 07, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
LurfysMa

wrote:

Look about half way down this page:
http://www.servicecaster.com/bassick.htm

There is a caster that comes with a sleeve. If (big if) the bike
support is strong enough and won't gall and work loose from the
sleeve, you can drill and insert one at each corner. There are
variations of these, but this is an example. We did something like
this with a pipe-based support base on furniture in a jail. It also
needed a snap lock/clip to hold the sleeve in place, but that was easy
to get.

Or here

http://www.servicecaster.com/colson.htm

at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the links

Old February 15th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Freewheeling

LurfysMa wrote:

--

sounds fair .

I would be tempted to make it bigger , out of a piece of plywood with
two 2 x 2 strips like your cradle and use 4 wheels or large castors.
you would then lift the front end and put the dolly under it , lift the
back end to push it around .

The 4 wheels make it more stable than trying to use straps to hold it
in place.

I was trying to keep it as small (and unobtrusive) as possible, but I
see how a little 4-wheel dolly would be more stable. I think I'd still
need to strap it on so it didn't jump/slip off, but those straps could
be much lighter.

I would add a piece of scrap carpet to pad the wood frame.

That's a good idea. I'm not too worried about scratching the bottom of
the stabilizer tube, but the carpet will also make a more secure fit.

otherwise just drill a hole through the stabilizer bar at the front and
get two castors like on a supermarket cart.

I'd prefer not to drill into the stabilizer tubes. Would castors ne
large enough to lift it out of the carpet? I was thinking more like
4"-6" rubber wheels -- like a dolly.

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I have a Concept II Model C
rowing machine (Models D and E are newer). It's sort of a longish
contraption (well over 12 feet, although splits in the middle for moving
and storage) but for movement between rooms they have a couple of small
wheels on the front that are attached to extensions angled up about 30
degrees, so that the wheels don't touch the floor when the erg is lying
flat. But if you lift the rear you can push (pull) the machine around on
the small wheels, sort of like a wheel barrow. It's fairly convenient
although one sometimes needs a lot of room to get the thing turned to
fit through a door or rolled down a hallway.