Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 13th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
TMS320

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On 13/09/18 09:53, wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 00:12:40 +0100
TMS320 wrote:
On 12/09/18 09:56,
wrote:
Nah, fuel burn has got better too. Even non turbo petrol engines produce more

power per cc now than they did 20 years ago.

Example please. The point is that a basic model in the US has 180hp,
whereas in Europe it would likely be 120hp.

Honda S2000 - 2.0 non turbo, 240hp.

At 8000rpm. And 208Nm at...

....7500rpm(!). So best case is 88hp at 3000rpm, compared to 100hp of a
plain jane 2.4.

Suzuki Hyabusa, 1.3L , 197hp.

....at 10000rpm, it's only what might be expected. And hardly practical
for a road car.

Apart from anything else, underlying efficiency is indicated by specific
torque, not power. With the 8sp gearbox it mostly sat at 1600rpm and I

Power = torque * rpm * constant

More torque at low rpm = more power at low rpm.

Yes. So a smaller engine with less torque has to be geared to run faster.

The actual power curve must always be below this line:

xxxxxxx (maximum power)
x ^ peak power revs
^ x
power x
^ x^ peak torque revs
revs

Getting the same peak power out of a smaller engine moves the knee to
the right (reducing the area under the power curve) when the ideal is to
move it to the left (increasing the area).
Old September 13th 18, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 21:39:31 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/10/2018 10:03 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/10/2018 11:27 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:39:20 +0100, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/09/2018 11:40 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Oh, sweet Jesus... Here we go with Knife's fantasy that he can
control
his body temperature like some Indian fakir and melt ice with his
wedding tackle at 20 below. Centigrade, Fahrenheit, take your
pick.

It's called being warm blooded. Put a tropical fish in cold water
and
it dies. Put a mammal in cold water and it shivers.

Leave the mammal in cold enough water for long enough and it dies.

Perhaps Jimmy has walrus genes in his makeup; big tusks, small
brains,
and a lot of blubber.

He claims to be skinny but I havent seen a photo.

The tiny brain is obvious tho.

Skinny is good when immersed in cold water. You don't suffer as long.
The rule of thumb on the coast of Maine was a 50% chance of surviving
50
minutes in 50 degree water. Most of the lobstermne couldn't swim. If
you
fell out of the boat and couldn't get back in you were dead.

Wrong, fat people feel the cold the same,

No they don't. And I know that because a mate of mine
was by far the fattest person I have ever known in person,
tho I have seen fatter ones in docos. Its killed him now.

You have ONE example.

He's not the only porker I know.

Everyone feels the cold differently, whether they're fat or not.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Toss them all naked in ice cold water that they can
stand up in and prevent them from getting out of
that water and they will all die of the cold eventually.
That's what those arsehole Nazis proved by doing that.

Fat is nothing to do with it.

en sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

they have more insulation but a slower metabolic rate,

Like hell they have. They are fatter because they
shovel much more food into their mouths.

Can be.

Always is.

But some people simply can't lose weight, even if they go on a diet.

Bull****. There were no porkers in the worst of the
concentration camps except for some of the guards.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdxl61gx2b...68769.jpg?dl=0

He was notorious when they all headed off to north
queensland to sit around in the camping ground
getting ****ed, playing gin rummy and swatting
the midges in out winter. Whenever they stopped
for a tea break in one of the towns en route with
them all in their various RVs, him and his wife
in their Winnebago, he'd make a bee line for
the cake shop, buy a whole box of cream cakes
and scoff the lot, twice a day.

He was also notorious for making a loaf of
bread in the bread machine and scoffing the
whole thing ladled with butter and jam
straight out of the bread machine.

they can create less heat.

Wrong.

Go look up metabolic rate.

Don't need to. I've know about it since before you were even spawned.

People with a high metabolic rate are skinny, as they burn all their fat
off, they can also keep warm far more easily.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Old September 14th 18, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I know many fat people and they moan about the cold just as much as anyone else.

Everyone feels the cold differently, whether they're fat or not.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Toss them all naked in ice cold water that they can
stand up in and prevent them from getting out of
that water and they will all die of the cold eventually.
That's what those arsehole Nazis proved by doing that.

It's bull****. The myth is you last 15 minutes on average. Mythbusters changed that to 2 hours, and I've swum for 2 hours with no problem, just shivered hard when I got out, which is what shivering is for.

Fat is nothing to do with it.

en sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Look up metabolic rate.

they have more insulation but a slower metabolic rate,

Like hell they have. They are fatter because they
shovel much more food into their mouths.

Can be.

Always is.

No, you can easily find two people who eat the same and do the same amount of physical labour yet one is fatter.

But some people simply can't lose weight, even if they go on a diet.

Bull****. There were no porkers in the worst of the
concentration camps except for some of the guards.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdxl61gx2b...68769.jpg?dl=0

That's not a diet. Nobody wants to eat that little.

He was notorious when they all headed off to north
queensland to sit around in the camping ground
getting ****ed, playing gin rummy and swatting
the midges in out winter. Whenever they stopped
for a tea break in one of the towns en route with
them all in their various RVs, him and his wife
in their Winnebago, he'd make a bee line for
the cake shop, buy a whole box of cream cakes
and scoff the lot, twice a day.

He was also notorious for making a loaf of
bread in the bread machine and scoffing the
whole thing ladled with butter and jam
straight out of the bread machine.

they can create less heat.

Wrong.

Go look up metabolic rate.

Don't need to. I've know about it since before you were even spawned.

Yet you fail to understand it.

People with a high metabolic rate are skinny, as they burn all their fat
off, they can also keep warm far more easily.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

Up to 1600 calories an hour you can burn off by being cold.
Old September 14th 18, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:56:58 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
On 09/11/2018 10:19 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

The stupid tanks are bright enough to know they don't sell in Yankland.

You lot have always run that line, and the car buyers have always proved
you wrong with the VW beetle, the Golf and Polo, then the Japs with the
Corolla and Yaris and now the Koreans.
Ford is dropping everything besides pickups and SUVs

There's a reason your major car manufacturers keep going broke.
Ford has sensible fuel efficient small cars here, but they are mostly
done by Mazda and rebadged. Stupid approach.

If Ford thought they could sell their rebadged world cars in the US, don't
you think they would do so?

Nope, they are too stupid to do that, that's why they are going broke.

Pity about all those Yaris, Polo, Golf, Corolla sized cars selling there
right now.

Ford's problem is that they are profitable for them. But they clearly are
for
Toyota, Mazda and VW, Ford is so ****ing hopeless that they can't do same.

It's ok, some ****wit government will bail them out by stealing people's taxes like Vauxhall/GM/Opel/Holden.
Old September 14th 18, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 23:32:56 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 21:58:39 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 21:05:10 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 20:16:37 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 00:30:38 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:46:58 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:52:24 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 18:31:06 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:45:21 +0100, rbowman

wrote:

On 09/09/2018 05:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
In the UK the cops are in fear of being done for assault.
They're
always very polite and behave like girls. It's quite
funny
arguing
with
a traffic cop, they let you insult them.

Yes, well that's the UK... I'm sure you read enough US
news
realize
this is not the UK.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officer-ar...ry?id=57715416

How ****ed up do you have to be to think you're in your
house
when
you're
in someone else's?

There might just be a reason for that immortal 'little
boxes'
line.

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

I did once see someone get confused as to where he lived, but
that
was
council flats and he was drunk.

This one was in a block of flats. The lift stopped at the
floor above hers, his door was ajar so pushing the key
into the lock saw the door swing open and she claims
that the lights were out and she could see only his
silhouette and that she got no response when she
told him to put his hands up, so she shot him.

Corse its easy to make most of that up after he is dead.

Anyone with half a brain can tell if they're in their own flat.

Not when the lights are off and you are focussing on
the silhouette of what you believe is an intruder who
has broken into your flat thru the front door and that's
why the front door was ajar and not locked as you left it.

This isn't hotel rooms, this is homes where everyone has
different
furniture, paintings, wall coverings, clocks, carpets, etc.

None of which would be visible with the lights off.

People oughta live in better accommodation.

Doesn't necessarily help. Even with separate houses,
plenty have managed to confuse one with the next
one in the dark with no lights on.

I've never ever mistaken my house for another.

That's coz yours is a hovel.

No, it's because it isn't, and every house in my street looks
different.
It's the cheap **** places that are identical.

They are all completely different.

That right ?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3lezqdadc...5b8-c.jpg?dl=0

****ing hell where's that ********? Even council estates round here
aren't that bad.

Yankeeland, where that cop ****ed up so spectacularly.

href="https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g186374-d2277022-i219949834-Vicar_s_Close-Wells_Somerset_England.html#219949834"img
alt=""
src="https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/0d/1c/2b/0a/row-of-identical-houses.jpg"//abr/This
photo of Vicar's Close is courtesy of TripAdvisor

You should still know if:
1) You're definitely in your house.

She wasn't, the door had just swang open with the lights
off inside and she assumed that someone had picked the
lock and was inside her house, so she shot him dead when
she could see him silhouetted against the light coming
in thru the window.

2) You're unsure.

She wasn't.

Assuming it's 1 when it's 2 then shooting someone is ****ing stupid.

Sure, but hardly surprising that an armed cop does that.

Indeed, they're the stupidest form of human there is.

And isn't she a bit young to be a cop?

Nope.

She looks 12.

She's 30

Not to me. I'd be worried she was jailbait.
Old September 14th 18, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 20:54:15 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 18:27:33 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:39:20 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 11:40 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Oh, sweet Jesus... Here we go with Knife's fantasy that he can control
his body temperature like some Indian fakir and melt ice with his
wedding tackle at 20 below. Centigrade, Fahrenheit, take your pick.

It's called being warm blooded. Put a tropical fish in cold water and
it
dies. Put a mammal in cold water and it shivers.

Leave the mammal in cold enough water for long enough and it dies.

Only if it runs out of energy.

Wrong again. When a human falls into freezing water and dies in
minutes, they havent run out of energy.

You can't die in minutes. I've tried it myself. I don't even shiver until 30 minutes.

And we know that happens
because the Nazis chucked lots of the concentration camp inmates
into that water deliberately and documented the results meticulously.

You mean the ones that were malnourished?
Old September 14th 18, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 20:32:48 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:50:48 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:38:12 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 18:56:21 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 04:44:22 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

rbowman wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Nope. In fact its so light with such a decent engine
that I was hooning along at well over 140K Km on
the way back from an airshow in Temora on the first
trip out of town in the new car. That's exceeding
the 100K speed limit by the level at which the
cops can seize the car instead of just fining you.

No vacation plans for Australia either.

The Northern Territory has no speed limit on its best highways
again. And its what appeals to many tourists too.

The speed limit on many of our roads is 138 (85)

We do have 110 km on the best highways like the the Hume.

and the Highway Patrol isn't all that interested in
enforcing it in the countryside.

Ours do. Just recently had one pull me over at about 4am
on one of those 1000Km trips. Fortunately it was a less
than well maintained road where the centerline hadn't
been repainted for decades and so I was below the limit.

Cops pulling people at 4am when there's **** all other traffic for
you
possibly crash into are arseholes.

He appeared to be heading into Wagga, the same as
I was, and that 4am was a Saturday morning and he
got me to count into his roadside breath test machine,
checking to see if I was heading home after a ****up
in Coolamon on friday night.

Some police districts here are obsessed with breath tests, but most
never
bother. I've been stopped many times for not wearing a seatbelt and
never
been tested, even though I was most likely well over the limit. But
then
I'm unusual, it's not obvious that I've been drinking as it doesn't
affect
me much.

Ours do it routinely, not because you look like you might be ****ed.

They do that where I used to live, near Dundee. But then that has the
most pubs per square mile of the whole UK. It also has the most police
cars set on fire :-)

We don't see much of that. Mate of mine, the psychopath,
did blow one up, but he denys that it was him that did that.

They do drug tests too, but I've never had to do one yet,
presumably because the do those less often because that
involves a cost to them for every test. The alcohol test doesn't.

I wasn't aware there was a drug test.

We've had them for a few years now. You wipe it on your
tongue and wait for a while and see what color it turns. If
it claims a positive, they send off a couple of swab sticks
to the lab for proper testing on a gas chromatograph.

I've read something about them not being able to tell if you've smoked
weed.

They are actually much too sensitive and will detect
that even if you smoked it days ago, long after you
can have any effect on your driving.

Police have told me they don't actually care about weed here. Maybe if
you're selling tonnes of the stuff, otherwise, no. It's just like smoking
a cigarette.

Odd, as I assume they can test for them if you're in professional sport.

The difference is that the road side test isnt
anything even remotely as good as the test
of your **** with a gas chromatograph. You
can't cart those around in the back of a cop
car and they take too long to do the test too.

Even the ones they use in the airports with
swabs of your bag and shoes etc arent portable.

They test for weed in airports!

They test for all drugs and the machine includes weed.

Must remember that.

Yeah.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

How sensitive are they?

Extremely. They detect what you have smoked days before
you flew, even if you make sure you arent carrying anything.
The drug sniffer dogs in spades. Hilarious watching the NZ
reality TV series where they have the dogs sniff the cars of
those showing up at their prisons to visit the crims in jail.

Are you saying I can't fly if I've smoked weed a few days beforehand? Oh come on, loads of people smoke it.
Old September 14th 18, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 19:53:20 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 23:36:13 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 19:05:43 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:46:12 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:11:28 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Nope. In fact its so light with such a decent engine
that I was hooning along at well over 140K Km on the
way back from an airshow in Temora on the first
trip out of town in the new car. That's exceeding
the 100K speed limit by the level at which the
cops can seize the car instead of just fining you.

Ours is about 30mph over. Which I guess is similar. But it's not
just
seizing the car, your license gets removed,

Yeah, ours is too. And currently a $2.5K fine as well.

My friend when we were about 20 got done for 130mph in a 50mph limit
(late
at night, clear road). He was given the option of about a £2500 fine
or
2
years ban from driving.

We don't have any option, you get both and 6 demerit points
with no driving if you end up with a total of 13 points. And
double demerits on major public holidays too like Easter and
Xmas, so you can lose your licence even if you are under 140km
and you have some points lost already.

I really don't get why they do double demerits.

Basically to get people to be more careful about the road
rules when there is more traffic on the roads for holidays etc.

You need to be less careful,

Nope, not when all those drunken tourists are on the roads.

Never witnessed that. By the way, being drunk doesn't make you incapable. That's a myth made up by the government.

congestion slows you down anyway.

But encourages some to take more risk overtaking etc.

No, if it's very congested you don't bother. It's when it's lighter traffic and there's some arsehole who thinks they should drive at the speed limit because they have OCD.

Sounds a bit like our stupid M25 motorway round London, where they
introduce speed limits during congestion to "make you get there
quicker"?!?

Nothing like. Our speed limits don't change in those times,
just the points penalty if you get caught flouting the law
doubles. And if you already have some demerit points, that
can see you lose your license when caught flouting the law.

Stupid idea, since when there's more traffic you get stuck well below the limit anyway.

He took the ban. The car was not seized. After all, the car hadn't
broken the law.

The seizure is a more substantial penalty,
nothing to do with the car breaking the law.

When they crush the car it's insanity.

They don't crush it, just keep it for a decent chunk of a year etc.
And you pay the storage charge to get it back.

I've heard of crushed cars somewhere

We do crush cars with the worst of the hoon behaviour,
particularly deliberate street racing etc.

Why? What's the point in wasting the car? Punish the driver not the vehicle.

- possibly drug dealers. Waste of a car.

But a real penalty for those stupid kids who can just
refuse to pay the fine and continue to drive without
a licence. Their car is their only asset and the thing
that they value most. We don't jail them if them
refuse to pay the fine now.

Why crush the car? Why not sell it at a police auction?

because the ****wits think driving fast means you're dangerous.

The cop had the decency to list it at just under 140K
and just slug me the ****ing great fine.

Less paperwork.

I chose to
front the magistrate instead of paying the fine
and pointed out that that was on a straight stretch
of flat road, not even any trees on the side of the
road for more than 10KM with no other cars in
sight until the cop car showed up coming in the
other direction, presumably at 100K. Driving into
the setting sun, and lied to the magistrate that
it was the first time in the new car and I didn't
notice it was going that fast. He let me off.

Bloody hell. Try that here and get double the fine,

You risk that here too.

they bribe you by letting you have less problems if you plead
guilty.

All the Hyundai drivers here do.

Don't believe that either

Anyone owning a Hyundai is an OCD ****wit or an OAP.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

No, it's just what most Hyundai owners here are like.

Bull****.

No it isn't.

Corse it is.

The sort of "sensible" person who follows all the rules like speed
limits
also buys a "sensible" small car that's more fuel efficient.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that's saying something.

And Hyundais arent the only sensible fuel efficient small car,
every major manufacturer except the stupid yanks has one.

And Hyundai has top end large cars like the Grandeur too.

Not many of those here, most are i10 i20 etc. And every single one goes
slowly.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

No, it's what happens here.

There are other makes that are driven slow, but Hyundai is the one
guaranteed to get in my way.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

No, it's what happens here.

Usually i10, i20, etc her.

Same here, those replaced the Getz which isnt a current model.

and you previously claimed that everyone there drives at 10-15K
over
the
speed limit.

Every normal person.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Anyone who's decent sounding when you talk to them here drives at a
decent
speed, a fair bit over the limit unless a pig is about.

You've just claimed that Hyundai drivers don't, you pathetic excuse for
troll.

And I know nobody decent who drives a Hyundai.

Another pathetic excuse for a troll.

Nope, just a statement of fact. In fact the first Hyundai owner I can
think of here has OCD. He goes PRECISELY the speed limit. He gave me a
lift once and panicked because he'd forgotten if it was a 20 or 30mph
limit we were in, so he decided he'd go 25. I tried to persuade him that
he was a decent driver (or so he thinks) so he surely must know his own
safe speed, but he wanted numbers on signs.

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

Like your fat friend.

Even you should be able to do better
than that pathetic excuse for a troll.

Obviously not.

Always in my ****ing way!

I had to replace things on my Golf.

I didn't have to replace much, just the alternator regulator and
the
exhaust silencer, once.

Actually I gave up on mine because of the large amount of rust
underneath
to pass the ****ing government nanny state MOT.

I did too, but that was my stupidity. I don't garage or carport
my cars and knew that the Golf passengers floor got wet after
heavy rain due to the windscreen seal and had never got
around to redoing the windscreen seal. That eventually
did rust thru the floor. No rust on the outside tho.

My garage is for storing things,

I never did bother to do the carport.

I don't have room indoors for a car.

I could if I wanted to but choose not to.

Some say it's better to be outdoors for the wind to dry it off after a
rainy drive. Dunno how true that is.

Its bull**** because being outside sees it get
wet much more often on that soggy little island.

I agree. It would dry off far quicker in a garage,

Nope, the wind effect is quicker but outside its
also where the next rain will wet it again too.

Apparently not underneath (not that I believe it).

especially if you added a little heating and ventilation.

No one with a clue heats their garage.

Depends what's in it. Lots of people have frost protection for stuff they
store, or they don't want the car iced up.

Only a fool heats their garage even on that soggy little frigid island..

I have frost protection so I don't lose a large amount of paint etc.

Maybe less than with some cars, but I still needed replacement
suspension parts etc.

I didn't replace any of those and I used that Golf for
much longer than you did, 45 years in fact and used
it every day to go to and from work too.

Are your roads littered with speed bumps?

Yep.

I go over perhaps 200 a day.

Nothing like as many here.

Not littered then. Here, they're even stupid enough to put them in
places
where you couldn't possibly be breaking the limit, like literally 10
feet
from a junction.

Not here.

You wouldn't believe how stupid our councils are.

I did have to replace one of the giant rubber
things that the exhaust system hangs on.

I've found exhausts on all makes of cars to be similar. Stupidly
made
out
of rustable metals.

That's why I replaced it with a stainless steel one.

Since I buy cars for £500,

So can I but I choose not to anymore. The last 3 cars have been
bought
new. You get a lot more choice of car, can be sure of no problems to
fix
that you have to pay for for years and I generally keep them for so
long
that the extra cost isnt worth the hassle with old bombs.

If I wanted to spend more, I'd probably buy 3 year old cars. Then you
don't lose loads in depreciation, but you still get reliability, and
probably a warranty.

But have a much worse choice of car to buy.

There's thousands of 2nd hand cars to buy,

Far more choice with new ones.

Bull****,

Fact.

you can only get the current models, instead of everything in the last x
years.

Everything in in the last x years isnt for sale today.

That's my point, with used cars you get the last 10-15 years of models. With new cars you get **** all because they keep pointlessly redesigning things.

There are 832 used cars just on Ebay, within 20 miles of my house.

There are far more new cars available on that soggy little frigid
island and you are free to option them the way you want them too.

If I wanted to throw away money perhaps. Have you heard of depreciation at all?! £30,000 for a new car that's worth £20,000 in a few years.. WTF?

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM