SKS RENNKOMPRESSOR: A superior, recommended floor pump

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 15th 18, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default SKS RENNKOMPRESSOR: A superior, recommended floor pump

On Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 3:04:35 PM UTC, wrote:
I am a fan of the Rennkompressor / Zefal Husky as well.

A while back, I posted the information below on Bikeforums.net

I am a big fan of the SKS Rennkompressor which is about $55. Made in Germany, cast iron base, leather pump cup, parts available. Was also sold for many years as the Zefal Husky. They have used several different pump heads over the years but the old style and simplest one that comes with a presta adapter on a chain is, in my opinion, the best. I have several of them but I also have an use a variety of Blackburn and Bontrager floor pumps that get the job done as well. I've put SKS pumps in the hands of my kids, brother, at my dad's house and my cycling partners so I know there's a working pump.. Silcas are durable pumps but overpriced since the company was purchased and moved to USA to become a boutique brand. No longer produced but sold under many brands was the Medai Top Super which was made in Japan. SKS, Silca, Medai all use leather pump cups, whereas most pumps use O-rings. If you're not in a hurry, I'd look around for a used SKS Rennkompressor, Zefal Husky, Medai Top Super or, if you're a presta only person, a Silca. You may have to invest a bit of time and effort into a hose and head but you'll have a good heavy duty pump.

SKS info
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor/
Medai Info
http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/medai.html

Looks like the common factor is the leather suction cup.

The SKS Rennkompressor sold under the Zefal brand as a Husky is well named: despite its slender appearance, the Rennkompressor is a powerful pump that moves hefty amounts of air quickly.

Master Muzi: Bonus Points for identifying not only the designer (1) of the car, the original manufacturer (hint: though commonly rendered in u/l case, it is in fact an acronym and should be all caps) and model, and the country in which the one in the photo was made, but also the name under which it was sold. Difficulty Level: This is Expert Stuff. LJK Setright will be proud of you when you get it right.

Andre Jute
Brand engineering

(1) Arguably one of the great unsung humanitarians of the 20th century, though not to pedal cyclists.