Gel vs Cola

Old August 2nd 05, 12:31 AM
PiledHigher

Default Gel vs Cola

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Really? Ironman triathletes (the ones I know, and most of them are sub
10 hr) have no worries drinking flat, diluted coke in the late
stages.
Like most have commented, the problem isn't the up, the up work
great,
it's the down after that's the problem. The solution? Keep consumin
it.

Tam

I concur, from experience there is nothing better than Coke on th
Ironman r*n! You need to match it with some sports drinks and water s
that you don't end up with too high a concentration of carbs (whic
reduces absorption of water).

Once you start on the coke you need to use it all the way to th
finish.

As to riding, I know that the quick hit of a coke can be the idea
thing to restart the body when flat on a long ride, the sugar hit help
you feel 'up' enough to keep eating and drinking

--
PiledHigher

Old August 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
MikeyOz

hippy Wrote:
Youz are all talking about sugar types and stuff but you're forgetting
key point.. have you ever tried to drink Coke while working hard?
It's gonna be a personal thing but you'd HAVE to degas it first (whic
is a pain) and even then it's not gonna go down that well.. maybe afte
the race..

Having said that, I can scoff almost anything, anytime.

hippy a.k.a fatso (but with digestive super powers!)

coke is quite widely used from some people I ran with while doin
marathon training, they live by it, but specifically they use i
towards the end of a race, and you have to make sure it is "FLAT" thi
is vitally imporant, particularly when running, as some stories ateste
to, poor people.

again does this not come down to the same thing it always does, wha
works for you, works for you and its all a matter of training with i
and getting your body used to it ?

--
MikeyO

Old August 2nd 05, 12:44 PM
Random Data

hippy wrote:

Youz are all talking about sugar types and stuff but you're forgetting
a key point.. have you ever tried to drink Coke while working hard?

I think I mentioned carbonation in my first post in this thread. In any
case, there's nothing more amusing than watching the froth come out of
a camelbak that your loony riding partner just filled at the 7-11.

Dave - who has seen this.

Old August 2nd 05, 11:48 PM
Dmitri Colebatch

MikeyOz wrote:
coke is quite widely used from some people I ran with while doing
marathon training, they live by it, but specifically they use it
towards the end of a race, and you have to make sure it is "FLAT" this
is vitally imporant, particularly when running, as some stories atested
to, poor people.

That's the point isn't it? Towards the end of the race - the only times
I saw tdf riders drinking coke was either (a) before a descent, or (b)
shortly before the finish. I know that (a) may just be thats where the
sensible place for the feeding station is, but I would think that (b) is
the real point - its always the sprinters you see at the finish reaching
for the coke, which has led me to think that its purely the sugar kick
they're after, and not concerning themselves with the crash that follows
(ever seen a sprinter worried about a crash?).

my 2c

cheers
dim