Supplements.......

Old May 11th 06, 03:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Supplements.......

Kingsley Wrote:
On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:19:03 -0700, Absent Husband wrote:

I was sure I read something about flavoured milk being
as good as 'sports drinks' - couldn't find it, not sure
I didn't make it up.

I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old May 11th 06, 04:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rory Williams Wrote:
I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

RoryW

"its ideal combination of carbohydrates and protein"... skip the paper,
drink the milk!

--
gplama

Old May 11th 06, 05:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Rory Williams Wrote:
I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

RoryW

"Stager and colleagues had nine cyclists bike until their muscles were
depleted of energy, rest four hours, then bike again until exhaustion,
three separate times"

cruel and unusual punishment - I hope they got paid well.

--
sinus

Old May 11th 06, 05:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

gplama wrote:
Rory Williams Wrote:
I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

RoryW

"its ideal combination of carbohydrates and protein"... skip the paper,
drink the milk!

Yep, but if you read carefully, they were comparing it to "standard"
sports drinks, which would be gatorade or powerade. Neither contain
*any* protein, and they contain crappy, cheap sugars, no magnesium and
are way too sweet.

It's the small amount of protein that makes the big difference, and
yes, milk *is* good! But as above, it's not very portable when riding
(although most servos etc will sell it )

I can't find the paper at the moment, but will try and remember to look
it up tonight.

Old May 11th 06, 05:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

sinus wrote:
Rory Williams Wrote:
I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

RoryW

"Stager and colleagues had nine cyclists bike until their muscles were
depleted of energy, rest four hours, then bike again until exhaustion,
three separate times"

cruel and unusual punishment - I hope they got paid well.

C&U is biopsies. Every time some PhD student wants cyclists, they
bribe with a "free' VO2max test etc, but they want biopsies. STAY AWAY
FROM MY MUSCLES WITH THAT THING!

Old May 11th 06, 05:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:[color=blue]
sinus wrote:[color=blue]
Rory Williams Wrote:
I was alerted to this in March

http://tinyurl.com/qrgqr

Haven't seen the paper yet

Abstracts for the relevant issue (feb 2006) at

http://tinyurl.com/nnrsl

Also an article comparing drinks with whey protein

I don't think we subscribe but I may get a chance to look around

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old May 11th 06, 07:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I do recall thinking of jumping on the Sanitarium "Up'n'Go" wagon. But
then I checked tehnutritional panel, and compared it to a glass of milk
with some Activite (vit/min fortified choco powder). And then compared
the cost.

So now the kids wonder why Dad is drinking all their choco milk!!
*grins*

Cheers,
Abby

PS Does anyone take Glutamine?????

Old May 11th 06, 10:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"Absent Husband" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

Being a slave-ish follower of nutritional trends, I was thinking about
heading down the protein supplement road. However, after much
indecision (a la Travis... *grins*), I decided that until I start doing
some mega-mileage, its probably not necessary.

Balfour's Green Frog Cakes and Cooper's Pale Ale. Yes I'm in SA. Carbo

More seriously, SO takes creatine powder. Coincidentally, so does our cat
(in licking out the cornflakes bowl with creatine in the bottom). Our Cat is
the meanest largest muscliest and quickest recovering tom cat in the street.
He does suffer from fluid retention before peaking for upcoming cat fights.

Gemm

Old May 11th 06, 02:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Gemma_k wrote:
Balfour's Green Frog Cakes and Cooper's Pale Ale. Yes I'm in SA. Carbo

Mmmm ... Coopers Pale. I have just demolished the last from my case and
I have moved on to Little Creatures.

Getting off topic here, but does anyone else think that Coopers have
changed their brewing method for Pale Ale? The last 2 cases I bought
seem to be fizzier and more acidic than I remember.

I don't like the new taste. I prefer the older flatter, less fizzy taste.
Old May 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 11/05/06 at 23:52:11 petulance somehow managed to type:

snip

Getting off topic here, but does anyone else think that Coopers have
changed their brewing method for Pale Ale? The last 2 cases I bought
seem to be fizzier and more acidic than I remember.

Dunno about Pale Ale but their Extra Strong Vintage Ale and their Dark
Ale are just as fine as always...:-)

--

Humbug

supplements unisteez Unicycling 3 May 3rd 06 06:02 AM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
vitamin supplements gravelmuncher Australia 15 October 26th 03 07:02 AM