Fscking Shimano!!

Old July 24th 06, 06:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

Default Fscking Shimano!!

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Bleve wrote:

Absent Husband wrote:

snip
whilst not the lightest rider in the bunch, hopefully not heavy enough
to buckle any wheels (unless that sprint program you put me on swells
my quads to triple-size!! *laughs*)

Has that been working at all? Have you gained any speed on your
downhill sprints?
Are you QUADZILLA?!

snip

Did someone call me?

ultramarathon runner? Quadzilla? Nope

Old July 24th 06, 06:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Bleve wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Bleve wrote:

Absent Husband wrote:

snip
whilst not the lightest rider in the bunch, hopefully not heavy enough
to buckle any wheels (unless that sprint program you put me on swells
my quads to triple-size!! *laughs*)

Has that been working at all? Have you gained any speed on your
downhill sprints?
Are you QUADZILLA?!

snip

Did someone call me?

ultramarathon runner? Quadzilla? Nope

As I transitioned to ultras, I had to start hanging out with ultra
runners, to make my quads look bigger. But remember, I'm a trail runner.
We're all bigger. Back to cycling this week (after injury) yay!

Old July 24th 06, 07:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 23 Jul 2006 20:40:28 -0700
Bleve wrote:
No. Alex rims are ok quality, not light, but plenty strong enough, and
you've got little wheels, which are stronger than big wheels. (20" on
your 'bent?). *and* you have more wheels to spread the load around too!

It's 20 at the front and 26 at the back.

More wheels? The rest of you are on unicycles?

(I'm on a SWB "highracer" high bottom bracket bike, although the other
day I was rather lusting after a TriSled....)

Zebee
Old July 24th 06, 07:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 24 Jul 2006 03:25:56 GMT
Stuart Lamble wrote:

What about the 2005 (or was it 2004?) OCR3? Mind you, I'm strongly
inclined to buy a dynamo hub, which means a new wheel anyway ...

Indeed. You buy a dynamo hub, and of course you can't lace it to an
*old* rim....

Zebee
Old July 24th 06, 07:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

PHP code:
--------------------

--------------------
Absent Husband Wrote:
Bleve wrote:

You actually *bought* a pair of them?!

YES!!! They cost me $100. The r540 (front) is approx 2yo and had done
about 8000km. The r550 (rear) is 1yo and had done roughly 2000km. I can
still easily see the rim wear indicator on both, and the hubs spin
smoothly & sweetly...

But remember what I was coming from. The CXP22's were a whole heap of
crap. Lots of spoke problems (I had to replace them once under warranty
already!!). And I was truing the rear wheel once every month. They
sucked big time.

Personal question time: what do you weigh?
At my LBS, we sell a reasonable number of lowend roadies with these
wheels on them, and generally suggest that riders greater than 80kg

or
so upgrade the wheels either at purchase-time or as soon as they

start
to break. If you're less than that, you might be ok though. That's
been my experience with them anyway.

I weigh 80kg's (down from about 90kg's 18 months ago... *grins*). So
whilst not the lightest rider in the bunch, hopefully not heavy enough
to buckle any wheels (unless that sprint program you put me on swells
my quads to triple-size!! *laughs*)

At any rate, I'm on a povo cycling budget. Whilst I lust after bling,
I'm riding an Orbea Enol using Sora running gear (with my s3xy Shimano
wheels *laughs*). I'm eyeing off the 'new' 10sp 105 gruppo, and am
saving up for that (whether it be onto my current frame, or a new bike)
- but 2 kids, school fees, kids' gymnastics & swimming lessons, etc,
etc, all have a much higher priority...

Cheers,
Abby

PHP code:
--------------------

--------------------

Abby, you need to economise on the domestic front, and free up some
wealth for your own needs. You need that 105; you owe that 105 to
yourself. Hell, aim for Dura-ace and you might get Ultegra (or even a
proper gruppo from Campag - group-set flame-war suit on).

Travis could help you with some handy wealth creation strategies, tax
minimisation schemes and the like, but real savings, REAL savings my
friend, come from within yourself, and by imposing severe austerity
measures on those that you love, without them actually realizing it.
They will thank you for it later on. These savings occur by tapping
into your aggressive, selfish ******* within (like I successfully have)
and by having a look around and seizing opportunities.

Why, just from one paragraph in one post, I can see that you could save
money by:

- home-schooling the kids (no more recurrent school fees); and
- combining their leisure activities - I see you're paying for both
gymnastics _and_ swimming lessons. Ever heard of synchronised
swimming?? Combines both those activities, and has the added benefit
of involving music (if they ever want to take music lessons or sh%t
like that, you can lie to them about how they already having music
lessons and synchro class);
On the next LA ride, I'll share with you my theories on:

- just how little kids actually need to eat to survive;
- how you can mix 'n' match and accessorize just one school uniform
to look like a complete wardrobe full of clothes!
- why educational toys are soooo overrated;
- 101 playthings to do with a cheap, simple, humble pumpkin
(including cooking and eating it!)
- why "learn or earn" is a stupid pilocy - and how "learn _and_ earn"
is within reach for all.

--
monsterman

Old July 24th 06, 07:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

monsterman wrote:
[...]

All of those savings need to be balanced against the increased "cost" of
insanity associated with kids:
- home schooling - no comment required
- 2 leisure activities - provides twice the distraction to the kids
- cut back on food = more complaining = more stressed parents
- ahh the old mix n match wardrobe trick will come back to haunt you in
later years when all that built up bitterness from the kids explodes

DaveB
Old July 24th 06, 07:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
LotteBum

Tamyka Bell Wrote:
Nah, fsck off!

I told Abby that you recommended ANYTHING but them. How many times did
I fscking tell him? But he wanted them. So rather than making him pay
full price, I told him when some got advertised second hand from the UQ
Tri club.

Grrr.

I've had mine for almost 3.5 years now and I (still) like them.

This is coming from someone who has gone through a quite a few pairs of
low end wheels.

I'd never fiddle with spoke keys myself, particularly on a bike with
less than the standard number of spokes - that sort of thing is best
left to those who know what they're doing (ie. Ben at Brisbane Bike
Sales in Albert Street).

Abby, you should have called me as I'm fairly sure Paulie's spoke key
would do the job.

Lotte

--
LotteBum

Old July 24th 06, 08:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Karen Gallagher

Absent Husband wrote:
Over the weekend, I noticed my rear wheel was slightly out of true, so
figured that I should pull out the old spoke key and have a fiddle...

The rear is a Shimano r550, which I love by the way (yes, I'm aware of
its reputation!!). Anyway - first of all, I realised that I couldn't
access the drive side nipples unless I took off the cassette (the
nipples are near the hub)!!! *grrr*

Then, after I'd removed the cassette, I discovered that my old nifty
little BBB spoke key (that has 3 sizes for different size nips), was
too small!!

So today, I rang around a few bike shops to find out if they had a
spoke key that would fit (and I could buy). Turns out that I have to
buy a special Shimano spoke key, because they are the only ones that
make 'em that size... *grrrrrr*

I stilll love my Shimano r550 wheels. But not quite as much as I did a
week ago... *grins*

Cheers,
Abby

Abby, if you're stuck I can make you one easily enough

Email me on my _real_ email addy, not this one

Karen

--
"Sometimes I think I have a Guardian Idiot - a little invisible spirit
just behind my shoulder, looking out for me ... only he's an imbecile" -
Old July 24th 06, 08:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
monsterman

PHP code:
--------------------

--------------------
DaveB Wrote:
monsterman wrote:
All of those savings need to be balanced against the increased "cost"
of
insanity associated with kids:
- home schooling - no comment required
- 2 leisure activities - provides twice the distraction to the kids
- cut back on food = more complaining = more stressed parents
- ahh the old mix n match wardrobe trick will come back to haunt you in
later years when all that built up bitterness from the kids explodes

DaveB

PHP code:
free DaveB, is that a well executed plan invariably involves you being
off with your independantly wealthy second wife (after your vasectomy,
performed by our friendly surgeons) well before all those "increased
costs" you've mentioned become your problem

--
monsterman

Old July 24th 06, 09:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BrettS

Bleve wrote:

No. Alex rims are ok quality, not light, but plenty strong enough, and
you've got little wheels, which are stronger than big wheels. (20" on
your 'bent?). *and* you have more wheels to spread the load around too!

It's 20 at the front and 26 at the back.

More wheels? The rest of you are on unicycles?

(I'm on a SWB "highracer" high bottom bracket bike, although the other
day I was rather lusting after a TriSled....)

Heh! Obviously I'm not the only one who tends to think 'bent==trike.
Probably because the idea of reclining on only 2 wheels freaks me out a bit.

--
BrettS