What is the generic name?

Old July 20th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Default What is the generic name?

Questions from a Merkin in the Colonies [1]:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

Does anyone export them to North America? For some reason I want one [2].

[1] As "Legs Larry" might put it.
[2] Must be from watching 3-decade old "Open All Hours" reruns.

Old July 20th 07, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Boyd

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman said the following on 20/07/2007 13:07:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

Butcher's bike or tradesman's bike.

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

No idea what they ride like, but only you can know why on earth you want
one :-)

Bucket panniers???

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old July 20th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc

Paul Boyd wrote:
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman said the following on 20/07/2007 13:07:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

Butcher's bike or tradesman's bike.

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

No idea what they ride like, but only you can know why on earth you want
one :-)

All the best bicycles have a front wheel that is smaller than the back.

Bucket panniers???

See http://www.cobbworks.com/.

Old July 20th 07, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
POHB

On 20 Jul, 13:07, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
wrote:
Questions from a Merkin in the Colonies [1]:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

Trades Bike. When I were a lad my mate's family ran a newsagents and
had a bunch of these for deliveries. Great for carrying a heavy
fishing box, or one of your mates. Those ones were black and
seriously built to last, even if they're in landfill now I bet they'd
still be rideable with a squirt of oil on the chain. The carrier made
a good battering ram for random acts of vandalism and stupidity such
as bike jousting.

Old July 20th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Rob Morley wrote:
Depends what you're using it [Pashley Delibike] for. Why did you choose
that one over the Pashley Pronto or Courier?...

The modern style of the Pronto and Courier is less appealing than the
traditional Delibike and Courier Classic. The Delibike appears to be the
better choice for bulky items, since the small front wheel allows for a
deeper front basket.

Old July 20th 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Simon Brooke

in message , Johnny Sunset aka
Tom Sherman ') wrote:

Questions from a Merkin in the Colonies [1]:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

That style is generally known as a 'butcher's bike'.

They're quite heavy - not good for hilly terrain. But on the flat they
handle fine. Good for making large numbers of small deliveries (or,
equally, for buying small purchases in a number of shops).

The Royal Mail use a more modern-looking version of the same thing, also
made by Pashley: http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/mailstar.html

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004
Old July 20th 07, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc

On Jul 20, 1:07 pm, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
wrote:
Questions from a Merkin in the Colonies [1]:

What is the generic name for this type of bike:
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products/delibike.html?

How are they to ride, or would a city type bike with bucket panniers
make a better utility bike?

delivery bike or (as others have said, butchers or bakers bike.

Don't Pashley have a US distributor?

I hope to inherit one one day from my father-in-law. My wife used to
ride in the basket when it belonged to his step father

best wishes
james

Old July 20th 07, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Luigi de Guzman

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 06:45:41 -0700, POHB wrote:

Trades Bike. When I were a lad my mate's family ran a newsagents and
had a bunch of these for deliveries. Great for carrying a heavy
fishing box, or one of your mates. Those ones were black and
seriously built to last, even if they're in landfill now I bet they'd
still be rideable with a squirt of oil on the chain. The carrier made
a good battering ram for random acts of vandalism and stupidity such
as bike jousting.

I should also add that, at least when I was last in Blighty, bikes like
this commanded a pretty good price in the second-hand cycle market, which
reflects their value as tools as well as their remarkable durability.

--
Luigi de Guzman
http://ouij.livejournal.com
Old July 20th 07, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 20, 7:07 am, Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman
wrote:
Questions from a Merkin in the Colonies [1]:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

A colony of what??1!