Yupe, it happened again!!

Old May 4th 10, 11:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble[_3_]

Default Yupe, it happened again!!

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

In aus.bicycle on 4 May 2010 08:30:23 GMT
John Henderson wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

Ratio = 34T on rear ring / 30T on front ring = 1.1333? Do I get a tick
on that?

(30 / 34) * 26" = 22.94" gear. Gear inches refer to the
equivalent wheel diameter for a direct drive wheel, like a
penny-farthing has. So equivalent gearing to a penny-farthing
with a 22.94" front wheel.

Your average unicycle then....

For comparative purposes, lowest gear on your average department-store MTB
is around 26 inches (a year ago in a moment of spare time bounty I
calculated all my gear ratios: http://fat.ly/01co0

BTH

Posted at www.usenet.com.au
Old May 4th 10, 08:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 04 May 2010 19:49:47 +1000
Chris Baird wrote:
Zebee Johnstone writes:
I am a weak and slow bicycle rider, the idea of riding a pushie
through there makes my legs head for the couch...

And then there's all the Squids who'll overtake at 90km/h _in-lane_ on
the 60km/h parts of the OPH. I had that happen 6 times on a single ride
through on a maxi/large scooter--- so it's easy to imagine how the Road
Nazis would behave if there was a self-righteous cyclist riding in the
'SAFEST' part of the lane.

Yeah, it's a difficult place to mix powered and unpowered 2 wheelers.

The sides are as grungy for bicycles as you'd expect: leaves, dirt
after rain, the odd bogan dropping.

So riding a motorcycle through there you have to expect the bicycles
will be on the line in left handers, it's just how it is.

That there hasn't, as far as I know, been a bicycle/motorcycle crash
compared to the number of motorcycle/motorcycle crashes means that the
squids are coping.

After all, anyone who rides hard into a blind corner not expecting a
fallen tree limb around said corner is being stupid. That there are
stupid people is, alas, true.

Zebee
Old May 5th 10, 05:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 4/05/2010 6:30 PM, John Henderson wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:

Ratio = 34T on rear ring / 30T on front ring = 1.1333? Do I get a tick
on that?

(30 / 34) * 26" = 22.94" gear. Gear inches refer to the
equivalent wheel diameter for a direct drive wheel, like a
penny-farthing has. So equivalent gearing to a penny-farthing
with a 22.94" front wheel.

Hm, no tick than - damn!!
Old May 5th 10, 05:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 4/05/2010 5:09 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 04 May 2010 16:41:23 +1000
Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
On 4/05/2010 4:25 PM, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
In aus.bicycle on Tue, 04 May 2010 15:48:23 +1000
Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
Hm, I am not really an expert on gearing other than knowing how to
calculate ratios. I'd like to work out actual power delivered but at the
moment I am too lazy to dig up my high school physics knowledge
Sheldon Brown's site might even have something on the topic as well.

got it wrong, I thought it was 19 but it's 22.

Bloody hell!! That is even "huger"!!! Pardon my noob curiosiy but where
are you measuring the 22" from?

It's a "standard measure" see Sheldon Brown

I will, I will. I am now thoroughly confused by what I thought I knew.
Just goes to show, eh?
Old May 5th 10, 05:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 5/05/2010 12:25 AM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On 1/05/2010 4:50 PM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On 1/05/2010 1:42 PM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On 30/04/2010 3:21 PM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On 30/04/2010 10:03 AM, Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF wrote:
Geoff Lock wrote:
On 29/04/2010 1:57 PM, Strop wrote:
"Geoff Lock" glock@home wrote in message
On 29/04/2010 1:50 PM, Strop wrote:

You're worse than 'er indoors.

No, it's _NOT_ a conspiracy and we are _NOT_ out to getcha

Now I know you are! ;-)

Are not!

I got smashed by some fellow on a 26" wheeled bike once on Garderners
Road, Rosebery, in Sydney. I did not notice him coming up behind me and
he went past me like I was standing still and tried as I may, I could
not catch him on my 700c tyres!! Very humbling experience made even
worse by the fact that he was in pretty boy clothes with the
prerequisite adornments.

Bloody nancy boys! And what were doing on Gardeners Road?

Yeah, a bloody fast nancy boy, though I was on my way to Europa Cycles.

Make sure you put puncture proofs tyres in your new bike

Of course. I keep telling everyone to get those kevlar strips, at least.

Or kevlar tyres.

Stop making excuses, go get a new bike and start pedalling You will
not regret it

OK, OK!

On yer!!

Bike?

Got your bike yet?

Old May 5th 10, 05:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 4/05/2010 7:49 PM, Chris Baird wrote:
Zebee writes:
I am a weak and slow bicycle rider, the idea of riding a pushie
through there makes my legs head for the couch...

And then there's all the Squids who'll overtake at 90km/h _in-lane_ on
the 60km/h parts of the OPH. I had that happen 6 times on a single ride
through on a maxi/large scooter--- so it's easy to imagine how the Road
Nazis would behave if there was a self-righteous cyclist riding in the
'SAFEST' part of the lane.

Surprisingly for me, I don't seem to have any problems with said squids.
Plain dumb luck probably but I have had a member of the Comancheros in
full colours wait behind me for a good opportunity to pass me which he
duly did without any problems - a non-event which is probably not even
worthy of mentioning it here. Strange things happen on Sydney roads.

Most cyclists are probably self-righteous and bloody minded about their
own safety so I guess I am no different. I am probably even sillier than
most cyclists because I try to think of other road users and their
safety as well even if the one of them other road users was in a fully
laden B-Double. I tend to put my stupidity down to bad wiring in my head