Looking for a low deflection chain [side ways deflection]

Old September 26th 04, 12:29 AM
MetroPed

Default Looking for a low deflection chain [side ways deflection]

I've been having a bit of a problem finding a good shift setting that
quickly shifts the chain to the OC without having it occasionally over-shift
[off the chain-ring]. The XTR shifter feels solid and the problem persisted
after trying various shifter alignments.

Noticed that the chain had a quite a bit of side flex so I swapped with one
of the ones in the parts bin that had the least side flex. That
significantly improved
the shifting but there's still room for improvement.

Since chains are cheap to try, I was wondering if any particularly model
chain is known for little side flex or for above average shifting on the
chain rings?

Thanks for any advice

Bob

Old September 27th 04, 02:15 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Bob- I've been having a bit of a problem finding a good shift setting that
quickly shifts the chain to the OC without having it occasionally over-shift
[off the chain-ring]. The XTR shifter feels solid and the problem persisted
after trying various shifter alignments. BRBR
Thanks for any advice BRBR

Ya need a front der adjust. I suspect that the front der start point is too far
outboard and the outer limit screw is too far out. Check proper alignment and
start point in the middle ring. If the chain tickles the front der in the big
and small cog, then the front der is proper. If it doesn't one way or another,
it ain't.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 27th 04, 09:47 PM
MetroPed

Thanks Peter but I don't think it's an adjustment problem. I've run through
all the standard shifter alignment tricks. The fact that putting a new
chain on made an improvement makes me want to just try a good chain.

The replacement chain the I got out of the parts bin was a Sedis ATB.
There claim to fame was strength not good shifting. So I want to buy a
new chain and just want to find one that has a reputation for good shifting.

Bob

Old September 27th 04, 11:09 PM
daveornee

MetroPed Wrote:
I've been having a bit of a problem finding a good shift setting that
quickly shifts the chain to the OC without having it occasionall
over-shift
[off the chain-ring]. The XTR shifter feels solid and the proble
persisted
after trying various shifter alignments.

Noticed that the chain had a quite a bit of side flex so I swapped wit
one
of the ones in the parts bin that had the least side flex. That
significantly improved
the shifting but there's still room for improvement.

Since chains are cheap to try, I was wondering if any particularl
model
chain is known for little side flex or for above average shifting o
the
chain rings?

Thanks for any advice

Bob

Regina Record ORO 38 Yes 3/32 new silver with holes in outer links fro
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/chain_stiffness.htm

also get the chain as short as you can:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html

and check all the other things including rear B-tension screw.

Peter's steps are right on, but you may still need something to kee
the chain from overshooting the small ring like N-Gear JumpStop

--
daveornee