Power Meters?

Old April 29th 21, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Power Meters?

What do you think of this power meter. I don't want pedal one until they come out with Shimano cleat model and I don't want a hub based. What if any does the group use?4IIII PRECISION PRO SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 DUAL-SIDED CRANKSET
Deacon Mark
Old April 29th 21, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:40:22 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
What do you think of this power meter. I don't want pedal one until they come out with Shimano cleat model and I don't want a hub based. What if any does the group use?4IIII PRECISION PRO SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 DUAL-SIDED CRANKSET
Deacon Mark

Since I'm not racing it doesn't interest me in the least whether I know exactly how much power I'm generating or not. My Garmin calculates the amount of Calories I'm expending by assuming that there is no wind. So 1.2 calories per second of actual riding time is about 200 watts of power output. If you have a head or tail wind you can adjust your output per second during that time though circular courses generally have the same up an down adjustments so that the Garmin is fairly accurate. The Garmin program tells you the actual moving time so that you can calculate calories per second. Of course, this only counts on flat ground and full out efforts, most of the time you are riding well below your peak and so the readings are inaccurate as hell. But why do you need to know how much power you are generating?
Old April 29th 21, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 29 april 2021 om 17:40:22 UTC+2 schreef Mark cleary:
What do you think of this power meter. I don't want pedal one until they come out with Shimano cleat model and I don't want a hub based. What if any does the group use?4IIII PRECISION PRO SHIMANO ULTEGRA R8000 DUAL-SIDED CRANKSET
Deacon Mark

Mark the new Garmin power pedals have a Shimano option now:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2021/03/...-look-keo.html

Lou

Old April 29th 21, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

[...]

Tom it isn't about you this time. Why do you need to know the power you are generating? As a reference for your trainings intensity. You are not into that? OK, don't use them. Simple.

Lou
Old April 29th 21, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 4/29/2021 10:05 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

Also, Tom, "1.2 calories per second of actual riding time" comes to
4,320 calories per hour. That's enough for most cyclists to cover 100
miles; nobody - and I do mean nobody - is doing that many *kilo*calories
[or big-C Calories] for an hour, while 200W for a full hour is quite
plausible for many - maybe even me. If you meant actual *calories*
[small-C calories], so 4.32 big-C Calories, then I can do that in one
minute, and I'm nobody special.

Working it another way, 1.2 kilocalories per sec at 25% metabolic
efficiency (a plausible number), is close enough to 1.2 *kilo* Watts.
Plausible for strong sprinters, but not for a full hour. 1.2 calories
per sec comes to 1.2 *Watts*. Nobody's that weak.

Working it a third way, 200 Watts is 200 Joules/sec, close enough to 200
small-c calories per sec at 25% efficiency, or 0.2 big-C Calories per
second.

Finally, no, the Garmin Calorie estimate is *not* fairly accurate, in
general. I used it for years, then I got a HRM. My Calorie estimates
changed dramatically. Then I got a power meter. Another dramatic
Calorie estimate change.

Mark "There are wrong answers in math" J.
Old April 29th 21, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:05:41 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Lou, this is about Mark Cleary, who is a Christian pastor and hardly anyone that would be interested in training up to professional standards.
Old April 29th 21, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 10:26:23 AM UTC-7, Mark J. wrote:
[...]

Mark, while indeed when we say "calorie" we usually mean Kilocalorie, in this case it was really calorie. 200 watts is about 10 mph or perhaps a little more over normal rolling terrain. Maybe around 14 mph on flat terrain with no wind. I just finished a 22 mile ride at an average of 13.5 mph into a 10-15 mph headwind and then the downwind stretches were 18-22 mph. And I most definitely am not strong anymore.

Despite comments from you and Lou, I STILL don't see the need for any non-pro to want nor have a power meter. Of what use would it be knowing how many calories you burned if you aren't counting your calorie intake? And THAT is 100 times harder than reading a power meter. How many calories do you suppose my French fried potatoes were last night? What about the codfish to go along with it?
Old April 29th 21, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

[...]

I find Garmin Connect to under count calories a bit. I have a Garmin 910xc that I use a tri watch I use for cycling and running. My resting HR is 40 and has been most my years as a lifelong runner and cyclist. At 59 I am supposed to have a max heart rate of 161 or about that. Most guys my age easily get to that HR on runs and cycling. Myself I have hit 161 once in the past year on a huge climb up a ski resort. I have hit 157 running an all out 400 meters or so. I rarely get past 140 and at 140 I feel like I am working hard.

Yesterday I road 64 miles in 3:31 averaged 18.1 mph no stops. My heart rate was 117 and Garmin said I burned up 1433 calories. I think I really burned up more maybe closer to 1800-1900. Today I went out and road 50 miles at 17.4 mph no stops and about same amount of climbing I live in the flatlands. Garmin said I burned up 1233. I think it was really about 1500. The key is today I was really tired and beat and had to push it to even get the speed I average. I managed to do it but yesterday was easy compared to today., yet I went farther and fast but same HR. I think a power meter would clear things up.

My heart rate running is higher and that makes sense it is more work. Cycling takes longer and has a different effect on my body. Seems a long ride will take more out of me than decent pace 7-8 mile run. I do have high blood pressure and take meds but it is not a beta blocker it is an angiotesion II receptor so that should not effect performace at least too much. I have take meds since I was a teenager for high blood pressure to so that is different.

Actually I am not a pastor I am a deacon in the Roman Catholic Church we cannot be pastors not priest......although i am see about going back to seminary....
Deacon Mark
Old April 29th 21, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op donderdag 29 april 2021 om 21:43:46 UTC+2 schreef :
[...]

200W for 14 mph on flat terrain with no wind? I don't know where you get these numbers but I did a recovery ride yesterday on flat terrain (all we got here), little wind with an average speed of 23.1 km/hr (14.4 mph) with an average power of 93W measured at the cranks on a bike with the aerodynamics of an elephant.

Lou, what moron invented Calories when he means kilocalories?