Steerer Tubing

Old January 31st 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Steerer Tubing

Hi,
I'm thinking about customizing my bike and I'd like to extend the
fork a lot. I figured I could do this by making the steerer tube
longer.
Is there somewhere I can order some steerer tubing with the correct
threads and a coupler to join them?
Or, is there some place locally like a machine shop that would do
this for me?
Places like Home Depo sell 1" pipe and they thread if for you but
it's the wrong thread count and they only have one die. I need 26 or
28 threads per inch.
Also, I've tried looking for a really long fork on the net but
couldn't find any. Who on the net sells extra long forks?

Thanks
John

Old January 31st 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John wrote:
Hi,
I'm thinking about customizing my bike and I'd like to extend the
fork a lot. I figured I could do this by making the steerer tube
longer.
Is there somewhere I can order some steerer tubing with the correct
threads and a coupler to join them?
Or, is there some place locally like a machine shop that would do
this for me?
Places like Home Depo sell 1" pipe and they thread if for you but
it's the wrong thread count and they only have one die. I need 26 or
28 threads per inch.
Also, I've tried looking for a really long fork on the net but
couldn't find any. Who on the net sells extra long forks?

Thanks
John

This is not a mechanically sound way of raising your stem height. The
joined steerer would likely fail, causing you to lose control. Instead,
look for a high-rise threaded cruiser stem, sold by Pyramid bicycle
products, carried by J&B distributors at your local bike shop. Also, local
bike shops should have adjustable stems with which you could angle it way up
and get your handlebars high.

To answer your last question, there is an Alpha Q-carbon fork with a really
long steerer, but it's carbon/threadless and likely unsuitable for your
bike, unless you're willing to change headsets.

You need to add more details like what kind of bike, what wheel size it
takes, and what it is you're trying to accomplish. I don't mean to sound
condescending, but if you don't know what you're doing, you may very well
injure or kill yourself with your from-the-hip layman engineering.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 31st 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"John" wrote: (clip) Places like Home Depo sell 1" pipe and they thread if
for you but it's the wrong thread count and they only have one die. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not only is it the wrong thread pitch--1" pipe is not 1" diameter. And the
thread is tapered.

Old January 31st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 30 Jan 2006 16:12:17 -0800, "John" wrote:

Hi,
I'm thinking about customizing my bike and I'd like to extend the
fork a lot. I figured I could do this by making the steerer tube
longer.
Is there somewhere I can order some steerer tubing with the correct
threads and a coupler to join them?
Or, is there some place locally like a machine shop that would do
this for me?
Places like Home Depo sell 1" pipe and they thread if for you but
it's the wrong thread count and they only have one die. I need 26 or
28 threads per inch.
Also, I've tried looking for a really long fork on the net but
couldn't find any. Who on the net sells extra long forks?

Threading a steerer extension together isn't going to hold together if you're
trying to do a chopper thing. You'll run into all sorts of issues with mounting
the headset bearings as well.

Mostly you'll need to weld or braze or have a buddy who can.

Ron

Old January 31st 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I don't mean to sound
condescending, but if you don't know what you're doing, you may very well
injure or kill yourself with your from-the-hip layman engineering.

LOL. So I guess you wouldn't recommend cutting off a fork on an old
bike and sliding them over the dropouts on my bike and bolting them on
like I have now?

Yes, I'm trying to do the chopper thing. I didn't want this to be a
discussion about the problems with the rake angle, trail and seating
the bottom crown race that are associated with extending the fork. I
already have highrise handlebars but I want a longer fork. Thanks guys
for your help.

John

Old January 31st 06, 08:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John wrote:

I'm thinking about customizing my bike and I'd like to extend the
fork a lot. I figured I could do this by making the steerer tube
longer.

I have done this in a handful of different ways. The drift of your
questions suggests that you aren't ready to take on any of the methods
I have used, which involve silver brazing and lathe turning.

If making a rough-and-ready chopper bike is your goal, and you are
content to do a bit of trial and error, then these pages may be of some
use to you:

http://dclxvi.org/chunk/tech/fork/index.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/cobb/117/cpcp1.htm
http://scul.org/SCUL/Fleet/Construct...struction.html

Chalo Colina

Old January 31st 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 30 Jan 2006 23:57:36 -0800, "John" wrote:

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I don't mean to sound
condescending, but if you don't know what you're doing, you may very well
injure or kill yourself with your from-the-hip layman engineering.

LOL. So I guess you wouldn't recommend cutting off a fork on an old
bike and sliding them over the dropouts on my bike and bolting them on
like I have now?

That's probably safer than the threaded on steerer tube extension you were
asking about.

Yes, I'm trying to do the chopper thing. I didn't want this to be a
discussion about the problems with the rake angle, trail and seating
the bottom crown race that are associated with extending the fork. I
already have highrise handlebars but I want a longer fork. Thanks guys
for your help.

Ya know, I'm seeing welding equipment real cheap at places like harbor
freight....

Ron
Old January 31st 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I don't mean to sound
condescending, but if you don't know what you're doing, you may very
well injure or kill yourself with your from-the-hip layman
engineering.

LOL. So I guess you wouldn't recommend cutting off a fork on an old
bike and sliding them over the dropouts on my bike and bolting them on
like I have now?

Yes, I'm trying to do the chopper thing. I didn't want this to be a
discussion about the problems with the rake angle, trail and seating
the bottom crown race that are associated with extending the fork. I
already have highrise handlebars but I want a longer fork. Thanks guys
for your help.

John

I see your intentions now. Your project is totally doable. A friend of
mine created a chopper using three forks, end-to-end, welded together.
Check it out in action he

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cbr/chopper.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I see your intentions now. Your project is totally doable. A friend of
mine created a chopper using three forks, end-to-end, welded together.
Check it out in action he

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cbr/chopper.jpg

It would not take much leaning back to move the vertical projection of
the combined bicycle-rider center of mass behind the rear axle.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old February 1st 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Johnny Sunset wrote:
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

I see your intentions now. Your project is totally doable. A
friend of mine created a chopper using three forks, end-to-end,
welded together. Check it out in action he

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/cbr/chopper.jpg

It would not take much leaning back to move the vertical projection of
the combined bicycle-rider center of mass behind the rear axle.

Yes... wheelies were a little too easy, hehe.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Wound-up carbon/carbon fork, 1" threaded 7 1/4 inch steerer $75 RobInfo Marketplace 0 September 28th 05 10:41 PM
Safety of removing a steerer expansion bolt from a carbon steerer purely to save weight. BigFella Techniques 4 June 16th 05 04:30 PM
Stack height plus head tube isthisclose to steerer length...any problem? Frank Techniques 5 December 18th 04 06:08 AM
Steerer too long dannyfrankszzz UK 4 July 13th 04 01:55 AM
FA: TREK Aluminum Investment Cast Lugs & Tubing The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 8th 03 01:08 AM