The CTC (The UK's National Cycling Organisation)

Old August 17th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Default The CTC (The UK's National Cycling Organisation)

I hope this encourages more folk to take up cycling for their health.

There is plenty of evidence confirming that cycling is an excellent form
of regular exercise. For most people it can be easily fitted into the
daily routine and:
*
It’s easy, low impact and fun – you do not have to be fit to
start gaining the benefits.
*
It is non-competitive and doesn’t require you to join anything –
people who are uncomfortable about “sport” can simply take cycling at
their own pace.
*
It’s a cheap, efficient and flexible means of transport – it is
one of the very few ways to get exercise whilst simply travelling from A
to B. Going to the gym costs a lot more!
*
It improves health, fitness and overall life-expectancy.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4629
Old August 17th 09, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

"Bod" wrote in message
I hope this encourages more folk to take up cycling for their health.

There is plenty of evidence confirming that cycling is an excellent form
of regular exercise. For most people it can be easily fitted into the
daily routine and:
*
It’s easy, low impact and fun – you do not have to be fit to start
gaining the benefits.
*
It is non-competitive and doesn’t require you to join anything –
people who are uncomfortable about “sport” can simply take cycling at
their own pace.
*
It’s a cheap, efficient and flexible means of transport – it is one
of the very few ways to get exercise whilst simply travelling from A to B.
Going to the gym costs a lot more!
*
It improves health, fitness and overall life-expectancy. (1)

(1) As long as you don't fall off your bike, get knocked off you bike, or
get run over by an HGV.

Old August 17th 09, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Mr Benn wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
[...]

Yes,that could put a spoke in the works (pun intended).
Old August 17th 09, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:27:18 +0100 someone who may be "Mr Benn"
wrote this:-

It improves health, fitness and overall life-expectancy. (1)

(1) As long as you don't fall off your bike, get knocked off you bike, or
get run over by an HGV.

Wrong. Taking those things into account cycling improves
life-expectancy. The gains far outweigh the losses.

Would the next contestant step forward please.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old August 17th 09, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_2_]

wrote this:-

It improves health, fitness and overall life-expectancy. (1)

(1) As long as you don't fall off your bike, get knocked off you bike, or
get run over by an HGV.

Wrong. Taking those things into account cycling improves
life-expectancy. The gains far outweigh the losses.

It depends on where you cycle and at what time (peak commuting hours for
example are more hazardous than when the roads are quiet). I personally
only cycle when the roads are quiet or on cycle paths. I value my
well-being too highly.

Cycling is a potentially-dangerous hobby in the wrong places and at the
wrong times.

Old August 17th 09, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr Benn" wrote in message

It depends on where you cycle and at what time (peak commuting hours for
example are more hazardous than when the roads are quiet). I personally
only cycle when the roads are quiet or on cycle paths. I value my
well-being too highly.

Cycling is a potentially-dangerous hobby in the wrong places and at the
wrong times.

I tend to find that overall, cycle paths are generally more hazardous than
the roads. The surfaces are often only suitable for off road tyres, there
are more obstacles to avoid and usually more give ways. At a crossroads
junction, you may have to give way ahead, give way behind give way to the
left and give way to the right, whereas on the main carraigeway you could
sail through in the centre of the lane and only need to be cautious of
overtaking, pulling-out, or turning traffic. If the desired speed of the
cyclist exceeds about 12 mph, the roads are invariably safer at *any* time
and especially peak hours.

However, the roads which have heavy and fast moving traffic tend to have far
higher levels of driver aggression. Unless the cyclist rides well into the
centre of the lane many drivers will simply run the cyclist off the road
while squeezing past or cutting the overtake short and side-swiping. These
types of roads need to be tackled with a far higher level of assertion by
the cyclist, especially since some drivers will be tooting their horns,
shouting abuse and worst of all, tailgating.

Finding alternative routes may (or may not) be safer, but will certainly be
less stressful.

Old August 17th 09, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

Mr Benn wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
[...]

or the sky faling in, or hit by blue ice, or struck with a thunderbolt
from the almighty(tm), or savaged by a flock of rabid hedgehogs.

I think I'll stay in.

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old August 17th 09, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jon[_5_]

On 17 Aug, 11:17, "Mr Benn" wrote:

Cycling is a potentially-dangerous hobby in the wrong places and at the
wrong times.

Motoring is the hobby which creates in fact creates a range of
dangers, many of which are imposed upon other people.
Cycling is the mode of utility transport which, next to walking,
probably creates fewest public hazards.

Old August 17th 09, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_3_]

On 17 Aug, 11:35, "mileburner" wrote:
"Mr Benn" wrote in message

It depends on where you cycle and at what time (peak commuting hours for
example are more hazardous than when the roads are quiet). *I personally
only cycle when the roads are quiet or on cycle paths. *I value my
well-being too highly.

Cycling is a potentially-dangerous hobby in the wrong places and at the
wrong times.

I tend to find that overall, cycle paths are generally more hazardous than
the roads.

There aren't any round where I am, but unless you ride at least 3 feet
out from the kerb, you're going in a pothole, down a hole where the
drains have sunk below the road surface or pick up all sorts of
detritus in your tyres. Until I started cycling again regularly, I
didn't realise just how **** the roads are. There's one bit near here,
the "Straight Mile" near binfield. It's the worst tarmac road surface
I've ever ridden on anywhere. Rutted across the road, with small ruts
every 30cm or so, it's worse than cycling down cobbles. Unbearable at
anything above 10mph on a bike with no suspension.

Mike P
Old August 17th 09, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 09:59:06 +0100, Bod
wrote:

I hope this encourages more folk to take up cycling for their health.

There is plenty of evidence confirming that cycling is an excellent form
of regular exercise. For most people it can be easily fitted into the
daily routine and:
*
It’s easy, low impact and fun – you do not have to be fit to
start gaining the benefits.

H, ho, ho

"Low impact" - what with - a lorry turning left?

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4629

Weren't the CTC found guilty of dodgy claims previously by the ASA?

--
The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries.
This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.