Tonight's Critical Mass

Old August 28th 09, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Tonight's Critical Mass

Two years ago I vowed never to go on another Critical Mass bike ride.
Tonight I broke that vow. I thought it highly likely that Critical
Mass would make an unusual foray out of Central London, and end up in
Blackheath - just a short ride home for me.

Critical Mass was much better tempered than I remembered, almost a
carnival atmosphere, I'd estimate between 500 and 800 cyclists. Yep -
some car and van drivers appeared to be about to blow a blood vessel
at not being permitted to drive within the Mass, but most accepted
that they would just have to wait. It is probably faster and safer
for all that the Mass stays together anyway.

The route from Waterloo Bridge followed Southwark Street, Tooley
Street, Tower Bridge Road, and then the Old Kent road and the A2 to
Blackheath.

Towards the end of the Old Kent Road, just before New Cross, the Mass
was going straight ahead at a road junction. Two cars were prevented
from turning right across the mass. A following police van seemed to
take exception to this policy of treating the Mass as one vehicle, and
overtook the two right turning cars and tried to turn right across the
two cars and into the mass. Fortunately the police driver had second
thoughts and waited like a naughty puppy told to sit.

At Deptford Bridge the heavens opened and the whole mass stopped for
about five minutes under the DLR railway bridge to shelter from the
rain. Traffic was blocked for some time, and several motorists,
understandably, became very upset. Great cheers greeted every horn
blast.

During the long haul up Blackheath Hill I was passed by an ordinary. I
later asked the rider the size of his wheel, 48.5 inches and he was
hammering up a steep hill!

We were greeted warmly at Climate Camp, but I elected to go straight
home.
Old August 29th 09, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 28 Aug, 22:47, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

"There was a warm welcome at the camp, a couple of dozen of us went on
to the site but most of the rest hung around the entrance for a while
before heading back. Those of us who went in were given free food,
stood round camp fires for warmth and saw the 'Inner Terrestrials'
play in the main marquee."

There are reports that a rider was 'bumped' by a bus. Is 'bumped' a
euphemism for rammed I wonder? Perhaps those who are in denial here
about ramming will accept 'bumped'? It does sound much nicer doesn't
it.

"There was a gap between the 20 or so of us at the front and the rest
of the mass so the bus sort of, almost, had time to cut through. The
guy who was bumped tried to block the bus but the driver wasn't having
it.."

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
Old August 29th 09, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

Doug wrote:
On 28 Aug, 22:47, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

See below.

"There was a gap between the 20 or so of us at the front and the rest
of the mass so the bus sort of, almost, had time to cut through. The
guy who was bumped tried to block the bus but the driver wasn't having
it.."

So what gives some arrogant cyclist the right to block people using public
transport from going about their business Doug?

Old August 29th 09, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 08:26:13 +0100, "Brimstone"
wrote:

Doug wrote:
On 28 Aug, 22:47, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

Safety.

It is not safe for a bus to turn across a peloton of cyclists. As
with any other vehicle, the bus should wait until there is a
sufficiently large gap for it to cross the road without causing other
vehicles to brake or swerve. Clearly, in this instance, the bus
driver was not going to do that, so more experienced cyclists blocked
the bus for the safety of less experienced cyclists.
Old August 29th 09, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Fri, 28 Aug 2009 22:50:20

uk.rec.cycling Doug

"There was a warm welcome at the camp, a couple of dozen of us went on
to the site but most of the rest hung around the entrance for a while
before heading back. Those of us who went in were given free food,
stood round camp fires for warmth and saw the 'Inner Terrestrials'
play in the main marquee."

Doug, I liked Tom's report. Did you have to spoil it? I'm not saying
your view isn't valid or important I just don't understand why you have
to shove your view into everyone else's face.

--
Wm...
Old August 29th 09, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

Doug wrote:

"There was a gap between the 20 or so of us at the front and the
rest of the mass so the bus sort of, almost, had time to cut
through. The guy who was bumped tried to block the bus but the
driver wasn't having it.."

So what gives some arrogant cyclist the right to block people using
public transport from going about their business Doug?

Safety.

It is not safe for a bus to turn across a peloton of cyclists.

Is "peloton" a rather pretentious term for a rabble?

As
with any other vehicle, the bus should wait until there is a
sufficiently large gap for it to cross the road without causing other
vehicles to brake or swerve. Clearly, in this instance, the bus
driver was not going to do that, so more experienced cyclists blocked
the bus for the safety of less experienced cyclists.

Did you see the event, or is this merely heresay?

Old August 29th 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
On 28 Aug, 22:47, Tom Crispin
wrote:
[...]

So my your own admission a cyclist tried to cut up a bus and lost.

What a good example to set.

--

Tony Dragon
Old August 29th 09, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Wm...

Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:10:08
uk.rec.cycling Tom Crispin

Safety.

It is not safe for a bus to turn across a peloton of cyclists. As
with any other vehicle, the bus should wait until there is a
sufficiently large gap for it to cross the road without causing other
vehicles to brake or swerve. Clearly, in this instance, the bus
driver was not going to do that, so more experienced cyclists blocked
the bus for the safety of less experienced cyclists.

I wasn't there at the time but I would have done exactly the same thing.

I guess in some people's view that makes me a bad person.

--
Wm...
Old August 29th 09, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

I was part of the peloton (pretensious or otherwise, it is the
collective noun for a group of cyclists). I didn't see a bus ram
cyclists, but saw numerous vehicles, including busses, whose drivers
thought it perfectly acceptable to attempt to turn into a peloton of
cyclists.
Old August 29th 09, 10:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brimstone[_8_]

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

In a cycle race, yes. But not a mass gathering many of whom are there to
cause nothing but disruption.

I didn't see a bus ram
cyclists, but saw numerous vehicles, including busses, whose drivers
thought it perfectly acceptable to attempt to turn into a peloton of
cyclists.

Perhaps that's because they behave as, and thus those people doing a job of
work regard them as, a selfish disruptive rabble and try to get on with
their job, in this case transporting people.