A Star Is Born

Old May 28th 04, 10:08 AM
NickZX6R

Default A Star Is Born

suzyj wrote:

Originally posted by hippy:

Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe that Viner
frame is still available.. ?? ;-)

Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a totaly fsking
white bike clean? Never again...

Nick: Nice machine, tho I imagine you'll be doing wheelies with that way
back seat.

Suzy

--

Yeah I was thinking it's going to be interesting if I can ride no hands
as well as on the Bianchi.

Descending might be a bit different on this bike too.

Either way, I'll have a long honeymoon period I'm sure.

--
Nick
Old May 28th 04, 10:12 AM
NickZX6R

Bruce Dickson wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say a Kennedy, simply because of the lay back.. I
mean waaaay back seattube angle!

Speaking of the waaaay back seat tube angle, I'm curious as to why
since it's a custom frame you went with such a way back angle and then
use a seatpost with no setback when the more conventional approach
would have been to have a steeper seat tube and a standard setback
seatpost?

Bruce.

Even with the best form in the world, there's only so much pain a
rider can withstand.
Gerard Knapp - cyclingnews.com

I just looked at the pics again Bruce. The Arione saddle is longer
than other saddles so if I had a 'normal' saddle it would probably
look a bit too far forward on the rails. Good pick up.

A few of you here have very keen eyes

--
Nick
Old May 28th 04, 10:46 AM
NickZX6R

flyingdutch wrote:
Nickzx6r wrote:
At last the long wait is over.
My new bike has been born. For some bike pr0n, check out http://www.use-
rs.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/
For the trainspotters, the details a
- custom Reynolds 853 frame (check out the slightly bizarro seat
tube angle)
- Columbus Muscle full carbon fork
- Campy Centaur 10sp groupset (53/39 & 25/12)
- Mavic Open Pro Rims & DT spokes
- Look Carbopost
- Fizik Arione saddle
- Look A5.1 pedals
Nick

Noice

That's a heck of alot a steerer you got there. Do you intend using for
TTs later or summat?

Is it one of CWs set geometries (think mine was 'Professional' 73deg).
Yours reminds me of Lance's early 90's Mercckx with the laid back seat
tube and longer TT

The black looks wicked. will surely go faster

--

I left that much steerer so I can ride it for a bit and decide
where I want the bars. THen I'll cut the excess off. I decided that

It's a custom geometry and I think the seat tube is an insane 69deg

Actually, it's a shorter top tube than the Bianchi it replaces. I've
gone from a 57tt & 55st to a 53tt & 55st. I reckon it looks a bit
strange because it's short and tall. The wheelbase has also shrunk
from 100cm to 97cm.

I'll report on the handling after tomorrow

--
Nick
Old May 28th 04, 05:40 PM
DRS

"suzyj" wrote in message

Originally posted by hippy:

Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe that Viner
frame is still available.. ?? ;-)

Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a totaly fsking
white bike clean? Never again...

Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too.

Maybe AusCam would work?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 29th 04, 02:00 PM
hippy

Originally posted by Dr
"suzyj" Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a total
fsking white bike clean? Never again..

Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too. Maybe AusCa
would work

From my car knowledge.. black and white look fantastic in the showroo
and rapidly turn into dirt magnets outside.

Unfortunately, black stuff looks so damn nice! :

What's AusCam

I need to paint/coat a bike.. hmm... moves to street fix thread

hipp

-

Old May 29th 04, 02:26 PM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

What's AusCam?

Australian Army Camouflage.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 30th 04, 02:02 AM
NickZX6R

Default A Star Is Born (And a Ride Report)

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Drs

"suzyj" Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a totaly
fsking white bike clean? Never again...

Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too. Maybe AusCam
would work?

From my car knowledge.. black and white look fantastic in the showroom
and rapidly turn into dirt magnets outside..

Unfortunately, black stuff looks so damn nice!

What's AusCam?

I need to paint/coat a bike.. hmm... moves to street fix thread

hippy

--

True, but I think cars a bit different because they have large,
relatively flat surfaces. And, a bike frame is less effort to keep clean.

Anyway, the review...

I took it out for a 50km shakedown ride yesterday along Beach Rd.
The ride is a lot smoother presumably because of the carbon fork.

Also, surprisingly, it's no problem riding no hands. I thought the short
wheelbase and light front end would make it a bit twitchy.

The other thing I notice a lot is that it's just _really_ comfortable. I
can just sit on it and pedal and it seems to go on its own. No doubt the
1.5kg less weight than the Bianchi helps with that. The ride was only
50km because I ran out of time and had other things to do. Otherwise I
think I could've easily done 80-100km and not been buggered. I'm sure
there's an element of 'new bike euphoria' that helps to numb any pain

The only 'issue' with it is that the frame geomtry means there's a bit
of toe overlap with the front wheel so I have to train myself to take
tight corners without having one foot all the way forward.

Anyway, time for lunch before I head on down to Vodafone

Cheers.
--
Nick

Old May 30th 04, 09:04 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:46:38 +1000, NickZX6R
wrote:

snip

Actually, it's a shorter top tube than the Bianchi it replaces. I've
gone from a 57tt & 55st to a 53tt & 55st. I reckon it looks a bit
strange because it's short and tall. The wheelbase has also shrunk
from 100cm to 97cm.

Angles and measurements can be deceiving. My Scapin has a 56tt, 53st
and 100cm wheelbase. It should look more laid-back than yours, but it
doesn't.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/sherratt/aa_752_001.jpg

vs

http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/853_1.jpg

I'll report on the handling after tomorrow

Should give you a comfy ride :-)

Mine's super stable.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old May 31st 04, 08:58 AM
Gemma Kernich

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
At last the long wait is over.

My new bike has been born.
For some bike pr0n, check out http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/

When do we get to see a picture of you on the aforementioned bike P0rN?
*grin*
Cheers
Gemm

Old May 31st 04, 09:17 AM
NickZX6R

Gemma Kernich wrote:
"NickZX6R" wrote in message

At last the long wait is over.

My new bike has been born.
For some bike pr0n, check out http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/

When do we get to see a picture of you on the aforementioned bike P0rN?
*grin*
Cheers
Gemm

Ummmm...when I find somebody who will get up early in the morning
and ride with me.

Anyway, don't get your hopes up - you might be disappointed.
In the meantime, here's a pic of me having fun

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~nmr/nick.jpg

--
Nick