Campy 9S to 10S upgrade (again and finally)

Old June 14th 05, 04:12 PM

Default Campy 9S to 10S upgrade (again and finally)

I am finally upgrading from Campy 9S to Campy 10S, and I am asking for
confirmation that I am ordering the right parts.

I have Athena shifters with 30K+ miles on them. They came on a new
bike I purchased in 1999 (Klein Q Race). They look like the levers
pictured in the Campy 1999 catalog of parts. Is there any way to
confirm that they are MY 1999? Does it matter if they are not?

I am ordering the following parts for the upgrade:

EC-RE061 (QBP: LD9742)
Campy Ergo RH 10sp Index gear standard

EC-RE209 (QBP: LD9773)
Campy Ergo RH index spring fits all
(Two of them. If I read the posts correctly, as long as I am taking
the lever apart I might as well replace the G springs, the spring
holder, and the teflon washer.)

EC-RE057 (QBP: LD9880)
Campy Ergo spring coiling bushing

EC-RE111 (QBP: LD9730)
Campy Ergo RH index spring carrier 98-06

I have a new 10S Mavic chain.

I plan on retaining my Campy Athena 9S (1999) rear derailer.

I have a new Campy CT (compact) Centaur front derailer and new FSA
Energy compact cranks (50/34).

I use Shimano-campatible cassettes (I use a Power Tap which takes only
Shimano). Can I get the same (OK) shifting running Campy 10S
shifters/Shimano cassettes that I had with Campy 9S shifters/Shimano
cassettes? I am considering using the Wheels Manufacturing re-spaced
Shimano Ultegra cassettes, but will stick w. Shimano as they are less
expensive as long as the shifting is OK.

Any suggestions? Are there any tricks to upgrading the lever? Any
better on-line description than he
http://www.campyonly.com/howto/ergo_rebuild.html ?

Many thanks for your help.

Kirby.

Old June 14th 05, 05:31 PM
Fixed

schreef in bericht
oups.com...
[...]

Try and look here,

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo1.html

good luck

Taeke

Old June 14th 05, 06:54 PM
Paul Kopit

On 14 Jun 2005 08:12:12 -0700, wrote:

I plan on retaining my Campy Athena 9S (1999) rear derailer.

I have a new Campy CT (compact) Centaur front derailer and new FSA
Energy compact cranks (50/34).

I use Shimano-campatible cassettes (I use a Power Tap which takes only
Shimano). Can I get the same (OK) shifting running Campy 10S
shifters/Shimano cassettes that I had with Campy 9S shifters/Shimano
cassettes? I am considering using the Wheels Manufacturing re-spaced
Shimano Ultegra cassettes, but will stick w. Shimano as they are less
expensive as long as the shifting is OK.

You should also replace the indexing cam that is on the frontside of
the shifter under a spring that holds the through bolt in place. That
part is $5. Most of the instructions, i.e. Zinn, don't mention that
part. It's more difficult to install than winding the watch spring.
If you add up all the $ for the parts you are replacing and factor in
the risk getting stuck during the conversion, you'd be better off
buying a new set of Ergo levers and selling your Athenas. In addition
to getting a full set of cables and housing, new rubber hoods, and a
perfect conversion, you'll get a warrantee. If your current Athena
shifters are operable, I'd guess that you can get $50-100 for them.

If you retain the Athena rear derailleur, you will move the rear
derailleur 3.9mm/click, exactly what Shimano 10 is. I do this with
newer shifters and an 8sp Record derailleur. I like 50/34 chainrings
and the Shimano 12/27 cassette gives me a go anywhere bicycle.
Old June 14th 05, 06:57 PM
bfd

Good point! Andy Muzi is an excellent resource; don't forget to
download Paul Southworth's excellent write up too:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

For parts and advice, if you don't have a knowledgeable LBS, you can't
go wrong with either Andy Muzi at yellowjersey or Peter Chisholm
(www.vecchios.com) as both will sell you only the parts you need and at
a fair price, nothing more.

I've used Peter, he sent me exactly what I needed. You can also call or
email him for advice on repairs as he's done a million of these.

I wouldn't hestitate to do business with Andy Muzi either!

Old June 14th 05, 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

You should also replace the indexing cam that is on the front side of
the shifter under a spring that holds the through bolt in place.

EC-RE251? Looks like half of a thread spool with a notched cut through
the middle?

you'd be better off
buying a new set of Ergo levers and selling your Athenas.

Yes ... it's close to not worth it, but I like taking things apart.
Anyone want the Athenas? They have no broken internals, as best I can
tell.

If you retain the Athena rear derailleur, you will move the rear
derailleur 3.9mm/click, exactly what Shimano 10 is.

Good to know. Thanks again.

Old June 14th 05, 07:36 PM

bfd wrote:
Good point! Andy Muzi is an excellent resource; don't forget to
download Paul Southworth's excellent write up too:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ergo_ps.pdf

For parts and advice, if you don't have a knowledgeable LBS, you can't
go wrong with either Andy Muzi at yellowjersey or Peter Chisholm
(www.vecchios.com) as both will sell you only the parts you need and at
a fair price, nothing more.

I've used Peter, he sent me exactly what I needed. You can also call or
email him for advice on repairs as he's done a million of these.

I wouldn't hestitate to do business with Andy Muzi either!

I would second this recommendation on both Andy and Peter. I just
purchased one of Andy's build kits for a new Gunnar frame and he
provided great input on component selection (Veloce/Centaur) and where
to upgrade and where not to. He charges you real shipping charges and
does what he says. We had a minor mixup on the order and Andy made it
right, with no hassles. When you talk to most of the big volume
providers (ie Nashbar, Performance (a true aximoron)etc.) you rarely
talk to anyone who really knows bikes. Andy knows bikes and you can
trust him.

While I haven't purchased anything from Peter, I certainly wouldn't
hesitate. I think he provides a wealth of valuable real world
information. While this newsgroup is much better than the Bike Forum
(which seems to be a bunch of weight weenies that are mostly concerned
about the looks of a bike and how little it weighs) there still can be
alot of erroneous information to sift through. However Peter's posts
always seem to provide a strong dose of reality , rather than hype.

Pat McShane

Old June 15th 05, 02:03 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

wrote:
I am finally upgrading from Campy 9S to Campy 10S, and I am asking for
confirmation that I am ordering the right parts.

I have Athena shifters with 30K+ miles on them. They came on a new
bike I purchased in 1999 (Klein Q Race). They look like the levers
pictured in the Campy 1999 catalog of parts. Is there any way to
confirm that they are MY 1999? Does it matter if they are not?

It does matter, but not for Athena. 1998 Athena was the old shape
lever. 1999 was the new round shape and convertible to 10s.

I am ordering the following parts for the upgrade:

EC-RE061 (QBP: LD9742)
Campy Ergo RH 10sp Index gear standard

EC-RE209 (QBP: LD9773)
Campy Ergo RH index spring fits all
(Two of them. If I read the posts correctly, as long as I am taking
the lever apart I might as well replace the G springs, the spring
holder, and the teflon washer.)

EC-RE057 (QBP: LD9880)
Campy Ergo spring coiling bushing

Don't need this, just grind the square shaped noth flat.

EC-RE111 (QBP: LD9730)
Campy Ergo RH index spring carrier 98-06

Don't need this unless the old one is broken.

I have a new 10S Mavic chain.

I plan on retaining my Campy Athena 9S (1999) rear derailer.

I have a new Campy CT (compact) Centaur front derailer and new FSA
Energy compact cranks (50/34).

I use Shimano-campatible cassettes (I use a Power Tap which takes only
Shimano). Can I get the same (OK) shifting running Campy 10S
shifters/Shimano cassettes that I had with Campy 9S shifters/Shimano
cassettes?

Yes...

I am considering using the Wheels Manufacturing re-spaced
Shimano Ultegra cassettes, but will stick w. Shimano as they are less
expensive as long as the shifting is OK.

Any suggestions? Are there any tricks to upgrading the lever?

Should get the front bushing, EC-RE-062...more teeth, no gaps in the
shifting.

Old June 18th 05, 02:04 PM
richard

Be careful! 1998 Chorus levers, although the rounded shape, are not
easily converted (the expensive bolt is the wrong diameter for the 10
spd index disk). Chorus & Record had their innards changed for 1999.

Despite what one mech (whose word I usually take as the final
authority), at least some 1999 Athena levers (mine, and the box says
"1999") used 1998 Chorus parts and are therefore not convertable to 10 spd.

Old June 18th 05, 02:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

richard wrote:

Despite what one mech (whose word I usually take as the final
authority), at least some 1999 Athena levers (mine, and the box says
"1999") used 1998 Chorus parts and are therefore not convertable to 10 spd.

New shape or old shape?