cracked rim

Old July 25th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mary

Default cracked rim

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. Needless to say I ordered a new rim. My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in? I had hoped to do about 70
miles this weekend. We have had so much rain this summer. I hate to loose
a decent weather weekend of riding. The shop guy seemed to think it would
be ok as long as I took it easy bump wise.

Old July 25th 09, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mary

Never mind. I decided not to take the chance. took my old bike off the
trainer and will use that until the new wheel comes in. Better safe than
sorry I suppose.

Old July 26th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2009-07-25, mary wrote:

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. Needless to say I ordered a new rim. My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in?

Not if it's one of those new-fangled "low spoke count" wheels.

--

-John )
Old July 26th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Don Lesco

On 2009-07-25, mary wrote:

I went to the LBS today to have my rim trued and they found that the rim is
cracked by one of the spokes. The crack is about 1/8th of an inch long on
each side of the spoke. *Needless to say I ordered a new rim. *My question
is, is it ok to ride until my new rim comes in?

Not if it's one of those new-fangled "low spoke count" wheels.

--

-John )

A good point form John.

For the record, I developed a crack while on tour about 1500 km from
home. It was a 36 spoke triple cross wheel. I made it about 1000km
before I had to replace it. It had developed a severe enough wobble
that I had to undo the cantilever brakes so the would not rub. You
would likely have been OK for 70 miles if it is not a low spoke count
wheel. I have no experience with them.
Old July 29th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_18_]

mary wrote:
Never mind. I decided not to take the chance. took my old bike off
the trainer and will use that until the new wheel comes in. Better
safe than sorry I suppose.

I call that an "act like a grown-up moment" because it happened to me, too.
I was 12 miles from the end of a ride when my front tire developed a
sizeable bulge. At first, I thought the sound was my heart beat, going
thub-thub, thub-thub as the wheel rotated, and then I saw the bulge. I
stopped, of course. There were 5 of us and the other 4 said I should "tough
it out." I almost did, but in the long run decided to act like an adult
instead of hoping it would be okay. I also call this a "how would I explain
this in the emergency room" moment. Can't you just see a doctor asking you,
"Well, you knew your rim was cracked and yet you ignored that and continued
to ride?"

Yes, it is better to be safe---and sane rather than give in to the desire to
take a chance with your life and limbs.

Pat in TX

cracked rim jim beam Techniques 81 December 1st 06 05:03 AM
Cracked up. D. Ferguson Racing 30 August 10th 05 07:30 AM
Cracked a nut Andrew Chadwick UK 4 July 19th 05 12:21 PM
Cracked nut soup Techniques 16 May 15th 05 05:37 PM
Ack, Cracked my last one Ground Control Mountain Biking 22 October 14th 04 03:42 AM