Another cyclist killed

Old July 15th 12, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Default Another cyclist killed

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:46:33 -0700, Doug wrote:

That way there would be at least some element of fairness applied to
vulnerable road victims who are constantly at risk from drivers and not
the other way around.

I do not agree that bike riders are "constantly" at risk from drivers.

--
Life is a venereal disease with 100% mortality.
Old July 16th 12, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On Jul 15, 8:51*am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jul 14, 11:05 am, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
Doug wrote:
On Jul 13, 10:52 pm, JNugent wrote:
On 13/07/2012 21:50, Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 20:15:55 +0100, "John Benn"
wrote:

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message
news:66q008hd5quof7qi2n5ltrtpvnq948jq5p@4ax. com...
On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:03:53 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 13/07/2012 18:37, Judith wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

snip

So introduce strict liability for such crashes, as in the
Netherlands.

Please could you explain what you mean by "strict liability"
in this context.

He means blaming someone who wasn't to blame and absolving the
blameworthy party/ies.

No.

It means that the trained and licenced road user is to blame
unless they can prove otherwise.

Do you think that is fair? I don't.

It seems to deliver better road safety in the Netherlands.

Does it?

Don't you think the fact that the standard of cycling in NL
(including the level of compliance with traffic law) is simply far
higher than it is here has something to do with that?

It is the much better recognition of cycling in NL as a satisfactory
mode of transport that has everything to do with it.

What seems unfair is that so many licenced road users seem to kill
with impunity.

In a just system, only the guilty are punished.

Exactly. Our system is unjust when it comes to not punishing guilty
road users.

Punishing the innocent is a
sin crying out to heaven for vengeance.

So is not punishing the guilty.

Find someone guilty (beyond any
reasonable doubt is the standard required, BTW), then you can
change his supposed "impunity" into "punity".

Don't you think that actually killing someone is beyond reasonable
doubt? In most cases, if it happened anywhere except on a road, it
would be punished appropriately.

But that won't do, will it?

You want to punish the innocent and let some of the guilty off (all
based on choice of transport mode).

That is what is happening right now. Some of those who kill on our
roads are being let off, using vulnerable victim blaming or the
false concept of an 'accident' as excuses. Anyone in charge of heavy
machinery on our roads should be held fully responsible for any harm
it causes.

Rhiannon Bennett, deliberately killed by a cyclist, he got a fine
only, was that fair?

Many drivers also get fines only so your point is?

can you point to a similar case with a car?

Why do you keep on asking silly questions?

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old July 16th 12, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_10_]

On Jul 15, 9:00*am, Tony Dragon wrote:
On 15/07/2012 07:37, Doug wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

[...]

Many years ago I stopped my van at a zebra crossing & a cyclist ran into
the back of me, he had pulled onto the main road after checking no
traffic was coming but forgot to look forward.

According to you it was my fault, do you think that's fair?

How badly hurt were you? Did the matter ever go to court?

No I wasn't hurt & there was no court case, but what has that to do with
who was to blame?

Blame should also be related to harm caused. Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a cyclist for their own death when
they are hit by a car and where the driver remains unharmed?

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old July 16th 12, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

[...]

if the crash is caused by the cyclist then it is the cyclist's fault and
therefore he should be blamed, there is nothing unfair about that. If the
crash is caused by the motorist then he will be blamed. If both are to
blame, then both will bear the blame, what is unethical about that?

What is unethical and unfair is to assume that the driver of a motor vehicle
is always responsible no matter what and therefore to blame for any crash
involving a cyclist no matter what the circumstances.

I understand that in countries with a 'driver always to blame' policy there
are many false claims made against motorists, simply because without
witnesses they will lose. The trick is to sit at the side of a quiet road
and record vehicles with single occupant, reg. no. and time, then make a
claim that they caused you to fall off and wreck your expensive bike. Can
you see how that situation would be unethical and unfair on the motorist?

Old July 16th 12, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Bertie Wooster wrote:

[...]

I ask questions that you do not want to answer and there is nothing silly
about it, can you point to a similar case to the Rhiannon Bennett one, only
where a car was involved, rather than a bicycle ?

Old July 16th 12, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Bertie Wooster wrote:

[...]

Utter rubbish.

Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a cyclist for their own death when
they are hit by a car and where the driver remains unharmed?

If the cyclist is to blame for his death, why should the driver be blamed.

According to your 'logic'.

If a cyclist causes his own death & he driver is not harmed, then it is
the drivers fault.

If the cyclist causes his own death & the driver is harmed, then it is
not the drivers fault.

If a cyclist jumps a red light on a level crossing & is killed by the
train, it is the train drivers fault.

-- .
A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Old July 16th 12, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 22:17:17 +0100, Tony Dragon
wrote:

And would you call that fair & just, I would not.

I agree with you.

Old July 16th 12, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 16/07/2012 07:34, Doug wrote:

Blame should also be related to harm caused. Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a cyclist for their own death when
they are hit by a car and where the driver remains unharmed?

If the collision is the cyclist's own fault, it is absolutely fair to blame
him for it - he is the one to blame.

No useful purpose would be served by blaming someone whose fault it was not,
and fairness would have been thrown out of the window.

Fairness is one thing. Where you get "ethics" from is anyone's guess, because
the word has no function within the concept of blame.

Old July 16th 12, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 16/07/2012 07:34, Doug wrote:

Blame should also be related to harm caused. Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a cyclist for their own death when
they are hit by a car and where the driver remains unharmed?

That has to be the most ****ing stupid thing your feeble twisted mind
has ever come up with.

If the cyclist caused the accident he is to blame, the driver is
entirely innocent.
University

Old July 16th 12, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

On Monday, July 16, 2012 7:34:44 AM UTC+1, Doug wrote:
On Jul 15, 9:00*am, Tony Dragon > wrote:
> On 15/07/2012 07:37, Doug wrote:

> >> Many years ago I stopped my van at a zebra crossing & a cyclist ran into
> >> the back of me, he had pulled onto the main road after checking no
> >> traffic was coming but forgot to look forward.
>
> >> According to you it was my fault, do you think that's fair?
>
> > How badly hurt were you? Did the matter ever go to court?
>

> No I wasn't hurt & there was no court case, but what has that to do with
> who was to blame?

Blame should also be related to harm caused. Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a cyclist for their own death when
they are hit by a car and where the driver remains unharmed?

> > -- .
> > A driving licence is sometimes a licence to kill.

Blame should be related to who is blameworthy. Can you not see how
unfair and unethical it is to blame a person for a death when
they are in noway to blame?

Cyclist killed Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 17 March 24th 11 01:00 PM
Cyclist killed in hit and run Anton Berlin Racing 4 June 8th 09 07:03 PM
Pedestrian killed by cyclist (BNE) and cyclist killed by car (MEL) Adrian Cook Australia 26 July 20th 06 03:55 AM
Cyclist killed endroll Australia 0 September 24th 05 08:46 AM
Another cyclist Killed!! smiles Racing 9 August 30th 04 03:44 PM