Greenwich foot tunnel

Old September 3rd 12, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Greenwich foot tunnel

On 03/09/2012 17:23, Bertie Wooster wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
"DavidR" wrote:
"John Benn" wrote

On a walk around Docklands last weekend, I noticed that there are signs
posted outside the tunnel saying "no cycling". Is this observed in
practice?

Last time I walked along it (without bicycle) I noticed there is cctv all
along it and any hint of taking the feet off the ground appears to set off
klaxons and cause bulkheads to drop.

They do have the facility to remotely close off the lifts to cyclists
in the event of an errant ride between barriers.

Personally, I feel that making a cyclist carry their bike up a 100
step spiral staircase is a reasonable and proportionate punishment for
the crime of cycling through the tunnel, albeit summary justice.

It is certainly not a sufficient penalty for selfishly and wilfully causing
danger and distress to vulnerable people unable to avoid the threat because
trapped in a confined space.

What would you suggest?

A fine large enough to make the miscreant wince *and* confiscation and
destruction of the bicycle (the penalty nearest in equivalence to a licence
endorsement or a ban from driving, given that such penalties cannot be doled
out to cyclists).
Old September 3rd 12, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Mon, 3 Sep 2012 17:44:45 +0100, "Mrcheerful"
wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 16:16:50 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 03/09/2012 06:47, Bertie Wooster wrote:

"DavidR" wrote:
[...]

Make the cyclists dig their own tunnel.

I have previously suggested that motorists should be tolled to cross
the River Thames between North Greenwich and Bow, as cyclists are
between North Greenwich and Canning Town, to fund a dedicated cyclists
tunnel.

Your idea isn't so very different.
Old September 3rd 12, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
francis

"DavidR" wrote:

[...]

You mean the way that motorists are tolled at the Dartford Crossing to fund free passage by cyclists.
Old September 4th 12, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

"DavidR" wrote:
[...]

Why should the majority of road users subsidise a tiny minority?
Sponging freeloaders

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."