Aero rims - good for touring?

Old June 14th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Default Aero rims - good for touring?

I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?
Old June 14th 07, 08:24 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

doofy wrote:
I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?

Haven't used one, but while the conventional tourer market may be very
conservative the recumbent one is less so, and the tourers all seem to
come with traditionally high numbers of traditional double butted
stainless steel spokes.
Of course, if your idea of a touring load is a credit card and a spare
shirt it's much less of an issue than if it's camping gear for a week.

(Aero /rims/ shouldn't be any more or less of an issue than flat rims, I
think it's the spoking arrangements that need looking at, and touring is
potentially heavy loads over a rough terrain so more is probably better
than less).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old June 14th 07, 01:26 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Peter Clinch wrote:

Of course, if your idea of a touring load is a credit card and a spare
shirt it's much less of an issue than if it's camping gear for a week.

Nope, self supported.

(Aero /rims/ shouldn't be any more or less of an issue than flat rims, I
think it's the spoking arrangements that need looking at, and touring is
potentially heavy loads over a rough terrain so more is probably better
than less).

The spokes are integral to the rims, so I didn't delineate between the two.
Old June 14th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

doofy wrote:

The spokes are integral to the rims, so I didn't delineate between the two.

Okay, though be aware that if you ask for an "aero rim" by itself it
will often be taken as meaning one with an inner surface tapered towards
the hub, and doesn't specify any particular spoking arrangements. Most
often seen on disk specific rims without a braking surface.

Pete.
Old June 14th 07, 03:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Peter Clinch wrote:
doofy wrote:

The spokes are integral to the rims, so I didn't delineate between the
two.

Okay, though be aware that if you ask for an "aero rim" by itself it
will often be taken as meaning one with an inner surface tapered towards
the hub, and doesn't specify any particular spoking arrangements. Most
often seen on disk specific rims without a braking surface.

Pete.

Thanks Pete. When I posted, I didn't realize aero was a generic term,
and was referring to the Aero brand.
Old June 14th 07, 03:14 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

doofy wrote:

Thanks Pete. When I posted, I didn't realize aero was a generic term,
and was referring to the Aero brand.

I'd not come across them... so I've learned something too! :-)

Pete.
Old June 14th 07, 04:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Peter Clinch wrote:
doofy wrote:

Thanks Pete. When I posted, I didn't realize aero was a generic term,
and was referring to the Aero brand.

I'd not come across them... so I've learned something too! :-)

Pete.

Well, almost Aero anyway.

http://www.aerospoke.com/

Damn, its hard being a newbie. ;-)
Old June 14th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon[_2_]

"doofy" wrote
I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

There are AeroSpoke reviews in several places, www.bentrideronline.com.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?

36/48 spoke "regular" wheels can be made plenty strong for touring.
My TE is currently using 32 spoke OCR rear wheel since I dinged
the 36 spoke OEM rim. If I were going cross country, I might replace
the rim and put the 36 spoke wheel back on, but for my last two
week-long tours, I've used the lighter OCR wheel without any problems.

Aerospoke wheels are heavier than "regular" wheels, but the difference
probably doesn't amount to much overall compared to the overall
self-supported touring gear...

They will lighten your wallet, of course! %^)

I'd rather take the $500-700 and spend it on other things, lighter tent,
stove, tail fairing, GPS,...

Jon

Old June 14th 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
doofy

Jon wrote:
"doofy" wrote
I'm seeing some of those Aero rims, the synthetic ones, with 5 spokes.

There are AeroSpoke reviews in several places, www.bentrideronline.com.

Are they good for touring, or just speed?

36/48 spoke "regular" wheels can be made plenty strong for touring.
My TE is currently using 32 spoke OCR rear wheel since I dinged
the 36 spoke OEM rim. If I were going cross country, I might replace
the rim and put the 36 spoke wheel back on, but for my last two
week-long tours, I've used the lighter OCR wheel without any problems.

Aerospoke wheels are heavier than "regular" wheels, but the difference
probably doesn't amount to much overall compared to the overall
self-supported touring gear...

They will lighten your wallet, of course! %^)

I'd rather take the $500-700 and spend it on other things, lighter tent,
stove, tail fairing, GPS,...

I was just wanting to avoid having to repair spokes. Of course, I've
never lost a spoke on a bike, but I've never done touring either.
Old June 15th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Victor Kan

On Jun 14, 2:47 pm, doofy wrote:
I was just wanting to avoid having to repair spokes. Of course, I've
never lost a spoke on a bike, but I've never done touring either.

Carrying and replacing spokes on a conventional wheel on a tour is a
lot easier than getting an Aerospoke repaired (basically you'll have
to box it up and send it back to the manufacturer).

Of course, some say the Aerospokes are "bombproof", but as with
anything else, some have had problems (the BROL forum has one such
thread, I think).

I would also think that Aerospokes are more susceptible to suicide
squirrels.

Aero rims and spoke count [email protected] Techniques 52 December 10th 06 09:29 PM
FT Fir Aero Rims [email protected] Marketplace 1 February 16th 06 12:39 AM
FA: Araya Aero-1 WC rims, Pair 36h NOS Gemma_k Marketplace 0 May 3rd 05 01:10 AM
semi aero 700c rims andy Techniques 4 June 25th 04 01:32 PM
FS: NOS Mavic CXP30 Aero Rims Al Van Varick Marketplace 5 November 4th 03 11:38 PM