Sorting long pull and short pull brake levers

Old January 4th 11, 11:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Sorting long pull and short pull brake levers

I volunteer at a community bike shop. We have a big box of MTB brake
levers that includes long pull and short pull. We'd like to have
volunteers sort them. In the past, I've used calipers to measure the
distance between the lever pivot and the cable anchor, but I can't
remember what the dividing line is in millimeters. (I'm working on an
instruction manual and don't have any examples in front of me.)
Old January 4th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

?

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...68f614bc218727
Old January 4th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 4, 7:35*am, kolldata wrote:
?

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...L+THE+DIFFEREN...

well, UTUBE does't have that right up front.

what you do here is sort the levers into piles
x brand lever pile, y brand lever pile, 0 brand ect

then take a guess at which are longs, shorts

divide the piles into two areas as long short guesses

then take you bike and install the guessed longs with a known correct
long brake system - does it work ?

and then then guessed shorts.

resort according to what does not work into the other area

eeyeehahahhaahaaaaa

urnot working with the uh....are you ??

Old January 4th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

measuring's for NASA sometimes...
Old January 4th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Gary Young wrote:

I volunteer at a community bike shop. We have a big box of MTB
brake levers that includes long pull and short pull. We'd like to
have volunteers sort them. In the past, I've used calipers to
measure the distance between the lever pivot and the cable anchor,
but I can't remember what the dividing line is in millimeters. (I'm
working on an instruction manual and don't have any examples in
front of me.)

Let's get down t basics. Brake levers have had a 4:1 ratio for eons,
and among those are all European brakes starting with Campagnolo.
It's trivial to measure by comparing cable anchor to hand lever pivot
and length from lever pivot to the crook in the hand lever for middle
and index fingers.

Calipers were 1:1 but not to worry, dual-pivot screwed that up too
along with their higher caliper ME for nerds with weak fingers. Those
folks couldn't raise the rear wheel off the road using the front
brake, no matter how hard they tried. That's where bicycling has
gone!
--
Jobst Brandt
Old January 4th 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Gary Young wrote:

I volunteer at a community bike shop. We have a big box of MTB brake
levers that includes long pull and short pull. We'd like to have
volunteers sort them. In the past, I've used calipers to measure the
distance between the lever pivot and the cable anchor, but I can't
remember what the dividing line is in millimeters. (I'm working on an
instruction manual and don't have any examples in front of me.)

There is no hard and fast rule, between the wide range of pivot-to-
anchor lengths, lever blade lengths, and adjustable ratio
mechanisms.

Linear-pull brake levers range around 30mm from pivot to cable button,
while cantilever/caliper levers range around 20mm. For something
right in between, I'd call a short lever blade unit a linear pull
lever, and a long blade a caliper lever.

Chalo
Old January 4th 11, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Colina wrote:

I volunteer at a community bike shop. We have a big box of MTB
brake levers that includes long pull and short pull. We'd like to
have volunteers sort them. In the past, I've used calipers to
measure the distance between the lever pivot and the cable anchor,
but I can't remember what the dividing line is in millimeters.
(I'm working on an instruction manual and don't have any examples
in front of me.)

There is no hard and fast rule, between the wide range of pivot-to-
anchor lengths, lever blade lengths, and adjustable ratio
mechanisms.

Linear-pull brake levers range around 30mm from pivot to cable
button, while cantilever/caliper levers range around 20mm. For
something right in between, I'd call a short lever blade unit a
linear pull lever, and a long blade a caliper lever.

I don't understand who invents pseudo-tech terms like "linear pull"
for brake levers that are obviously not pulling linearly, but rather
in an arc. It's the ratio that counts and no one seems to know what
that is.
--
Jobst Brandt
Old January 5th 11, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

I know what here and its I do not have to deal with it.
Old January 5th 11, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 4, 5:48*pm, kolldata wrote:
I know what here and its I do not have to deal with it.

when I ordered brakes ( 2 different brands brakes) and levers for the
29er chalo conned me into building, I prayed for an hour or two.
That was effective.
Old January 5th 11, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raging raven

On Jan 4, 3:05*pm, wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
[...]

direct pull - a better name than linear pull - is roughly twice as
much mechanical advantage. the hand levers are adjusted to half the
typical mechanical advantage to compensate.
as usual sheldon has it well explained: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html