Segways

Old June 29th 14, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Uncle Peter

Default Segways

What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently they're banned on roads AND pavements!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

Get this, the DfT actually held a vote on it, then ignored the result!

*****
The Department of Transport held a consultation last year into the question of “Whether the law should be changed to permit small one-person Electric Personal Vehicles to use public roads and cycle tracks”.

Three-quarters of respondents, including the 1,671 signatories to a “legalise Segways” petition, were in favour of permitting them on roads and cycle tracks.

It was pointed out that the machines take up less space than cars, help disabled people and are used in other countries.

But the DfT said it had “no plans, at present” to change the law and so Segways can only be ridden legally on private ground such as “on show grounds, in warehouses, on golf courses or in shopping centres”.
*****

--
But she was always fat. She was born an only twin.
Old June 29th 14, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
[...]

As dangerous and uncontrollable as they are (remember what happened to
their inventor), they should definitely be allowed on private land.
Old June 29th 14, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nick Finnigan

On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently they're
banned on roads AND pavements!

They are not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

The only case quoted refers to footpaths (or causeways).
Old June 29th 14, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
nightjar

On 29/06/2014 19:13, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently they're
banned on roads AND pavements!

They are not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

The only case quoted refers to footpaths (or causeways).

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 makes it an offence to drive a
vehicle 'on that part of the highway set aside for the use of
pedestrians', which is the bit most people call the pavement.

--
Colin Bignell
Old June 29th 14, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Mr Pounder

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 29/06/2014 19:13, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently
they're
banned on roads AND pavements!

They are not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

The only case quoted refers to footpaths (or causeways).

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 makes it an offence to drive a vehicle
'on that part of the highway set aside for the use of pedestrians', which
is the bit most people call the pavement.

Cue illogical, senseless, pointless and silly argument from Uncle Peter.

Old June 29th 14, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Stephen Foster

On 29/06/2014 19:45, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 29/06/2014 19:13, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently
they're
banned on roads AND pavements!

They are not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

The only case quoted refers to footpaths (or causeways).

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 makes it an offence to drive a vehicle
'on that part of the highway set aside for the use of pedestrians', which
is the bit most people call the pavement.

Cue illogical, senseless, pointless and silly argument from Uncle Peter.

-----------------
Some Peter Turtill quotes:
----------------

"I've had sex with 13 14 15 year olds and in this country too not
Bangkok. I see no problem with it personally if they can understand
what their bodies are telling them."

"I broke down the gates at Ship Launch Road and those on New Cut East
and challenged Associated British Ports to have me charged."

Well as you don't know the details I suppose it would be difficult to
understand but I was well pleased after seeing my mother die with
treatable cancer because the beneficeries had already spent her money.
pete

"It is not acceptable of course. It is using bail as a control or
punishment. I have been on bail for months because I have not
committed an offence so the CPS cannot charge me. Instead my bail
keeps on being extended and when I asked if I could carry on
protecting PRoW by removing obstructions I was warned that would be
taken very seriously and could end up with me being remanded in
custody awaiting a charge or no charge. That is not right of course
but that is the way it works unfortunately".

--------------
"Well I suppose I wasn't being completely truthful there."

---------
"The RSPCA is one organisation I would like to see put to sleep."
------------------

I have done this on legal aid a few years ago. I lost but in the
process I spent the entire estate and the other beneficiaries got
zilch except they had to pay for their legal team and went bankrupt
shortly afterwards:-)
pete

--------------
"I also require you to make a substantial payment in compensation to
me for the great injustice you have caused me and the expense and
health problems you have willingly and maliciously caused me."

---------

"I would not expect my neighbours to call the police. By the time my
neighbours had finished with the reckless people perpertrating such a
folly they would be more likely to require an ambulance than a police van".
-------------
"I was going to call the Fire Brigade but then I remembered what
happened to me last time I tried to be helpfull."

------------------
"Many years back I got done for causing death by dangerous driving. A
chap and me were having a wild time in an E-Type Jaguar
with a handful of cops chasing. I turned the car over and got it flying
15 foot off the ground going backwards. I hit a tree
and I got chucked out into a field. The chap with me was thrown out into
the road. We stopped pretty quickly by the tree.
The cop couldn't stop and he ran over the chap in the road and
decapitated him. It was never admitted by the cops in court
but it was elsewhere. I got 3 years for causing death by dangerous
driving. The cop wasn't charged" - pete
Old June 29th 14, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
Nick Finnigan

On 29/06/2014 19:26, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
On 29/06/2014 19:13, Nick Finnigan wrote:
On 29/06/2014 17:24, Uncle Peter wrote:
What is your opinion on where these should be allowed? Currently they're
banned on roads AND pavements!

They are not.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-fined-75.html

The only case quoted refers to footpaths (or causeways).

Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 makes it an offence to drive a vehicle
'on that part of the highway set aside for the use of pedestrians', which

No, 'upon any such footpath or causeway'. In England.

is the bit most people call the pavement.

Town police clauses section 28 relates to the bit of a road which most
people call a pavement.
Old June 29th 14, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
nightjar

On 29/06/2014 17:33, JNugent wrote:
[...]

As this was a decision in a Magistrates Court, it is not binding on any
other Court, nor even on the same Court in a different case. I suspect
that, if they were limited to 4mph, it might be possible to get them
recognised as Class 2 invalid carriages, which would allow them to be
used on pavements (but not on roads except to cross one), although only
by 'a person suffering from some physical defect or physical disability'.

--
Colin Bignell
Old June 29th 14, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal
jnugent

On 29/06/2014 20:37, Nightjar "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote:
[...]

I made no comment upon the court case. It hadn't even been mentioned.

Segways in shopping centre David Hansen UK 13 November 24th 07 03:09 PM
Why do people always talk about Segways when the see a Unicyclist? Ducttape Unicycling 10 June 12th 06 10:54 PM
Segways Bill Baka General 2 October 6th 05 12:09 AM
6000 Segways recalled Orienteer UK 4 September 29th 03 03:30 PM